Shifter staying in sport mode

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
Okay... I swear I saw a recall on this and I'm not real sure if this is an issue so I'm asking for some feedback as well.

I usually am not in Sport mode for daily driving but I do pop into it occasionally. I noticed the other day that the shifter does not 'lock' into Sport mode. This isn't an issue of the shifter moving while driving but I can push the shifter with my finger and it will drop back into drive. This is not me pushing the lock button on the side either which is the concern. I don't want to be doing 70 mph down the road and accidentally nudge the shifter back into Drive. I don't know what that would do to the transmission. I thought I saw a recall saying that there was a wiring harness that was the cause and just had to be moved but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So my question is, should it lock into place and or am I going nuts thinking I read something on the internet and it's true?

Peace
GD
Sponsored

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
It's fine, just send it

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
Okay... I swear I saw a recall on this and I'm not real sure if this is an issue so I'm asking for some feedback as well.

I usually am not in Sport mode for daily driving but I do pop into it occasionally. I noticed the other day that the shifter does not 'lock' into Sport mode. This isn't an issue of the shifter moving while driving but I can push the shifter with my finger and it will drop back into drive. This is not me pushing the lock button on the side either which is the concern. I don't want to be doing 70 mph down the road and accidentally nudge the shifter back into Drive. I don't know what that would do to the transmission. I thought I saw a recall saying that there was a wiring harness that was the cause and just had to be moved but I can't seem to find it anywhere. So my question is, should it lock into place and or am I going nuts thinking I read something on the internet and it's true?

Peace
GD
That is normal I believe, I do it all the time.....use Sport mode to pull out on the highway and then return it to Drive.

The only thing happening when you do that is electrical there are no "gear changes" taking place. The Sport mode is another program in the ECU that changes shift points and a maybe a few other parameters.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That’s one thing I noticed with sport mode. Drop into gear and it immediately drops down one gear ready for the accelerator stab! Then once the punch is over drop back into drive and cruse into the sunset with an ear to ear grin. But that ONLY happens when the wife isn’t along! Otherwise wipe that grin off your face ?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't want to be doing 70 mph down the road and accidentally nudge the shifter back into Drive. I don't know what that would do to the transmission
Nothing. The shifter is just sending electric commands to a computer in the transmission, and the transmission just ignores anything it doesn't like. Rumor has it that you can even shift into reverse on the highway to turn the rear camera on, but I don't have the balls to test that. :shock:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
oh, and there were two recalls:

one had to do with the interlock for park, so you didn't need your foot on the brake and the car on to shift out of P.

the other was the shift cable could get loose so the indicated selection might not match what's actually happening. that's a lot more serious IMO.

both were really early recalls, for builds back at the beginning of 2019. they were NHTSA recalls, so you would have gotten nagged if they were applicable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It will be ok as this is NORMAL. When you put the shifter in sport mode it isnt supposed to stay locked and when you go from sport to drive it will be ok. All it will do is put the transmission in normal mode vs sport. Just like it is ok to go into sport from drive while driving at 70MPH

OP
OP
Godzilla_Driver

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
oh, and there were two recalls:

one had to do with the interlock for park, so you didn't need your foot on the brake and the car on to shift out of P.

the other was the shift cable could get loose so the indicated selection might not match what's actually happening. that's a lot more serious IMO.

both were really early recalls, for builds back at the beginning of 2019. they were NHTSA recalls, so you would have gotten nagged if they were applicable.
That was it. It was the park recall. I knew there was something that would allow the shifter to move from a locked position but I couldn't remember what.

Thanks gang. That makes me feel better. My dealership is not easy to work with but I get the usual 'free oil changes and state inspection' deals so I go back. I'm thinking of switching to one of the other locations. The extra 15 min drive might be worth the better service.

Peace

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I'm always going back and forth. I frequently drop it into Sport to downshift while slowing down and then pop into drive when it's time to get back on the gas.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I rarely used Sport but when I did it was to disable the ASS.

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
I like that there is a knob press detente from D to N.

My long forgotten Taco could go from S to D to N just by bumping it, no knob press needed.
Don't ask how many times it went from D to N on the interstate, thinking I was in S.

(Sport mode on the Taco did almost nothing., so it was hard to tell. :))

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I like that there is a knob press detente from D to N.

My long forgotten Taco could go from S to D to N just by bumping it, no knob press needed.
Don't ask how many times it went from D to N on the interstate, thinking I was in S.

(Sport mode on the Taco did almost nothing., so it was hard to tell. :))
At one time being able to go from D to N was considered a safety thing. Being able to quickly slap the lever into neutral helped when needing to stop quickly in slippery conditions by disengaging the drive wheels. Of course that was before anti-lock brakes and all the other electronics.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Always go full send. Just be careful not to hit the buttons on the side. That will dicker you if you do it by accident
Sponsored