Safety Recall 19S43 - Select 2019 MY Ranger Vehicles Rear Lamps Issue

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
No issues here but I’m pretty sure there was a member or two here a while back that had issues with their taillights not working.
Sponsored

Ron Heritage

First Name
Roniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
No problems so far but mine falls within the production dates of June 4, 2018 through August 16, 2019 so I guess I'll get the recall. It seems like this is only an issue for those in my rear view. So until I see the recall letter in January I'll just keep my foot on the gas and should see no issues at all.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
It's weird, my build was 4/2019 and i purchased near end of August. On my service ticket: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tail-lights-not-working.3555/page-3#post-68958

They talked bout getting in touch with "Hot Line" who was no help. Also, Ford parts catalog was wrong, another harness on lot was different...just a cluster.

*Edit: Oh mutha f....i just checked owner.ford.com and my truck is on the recall for this.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Hi Folks,

I would really like to understand the Ranger electrical connectors. I have never seen a North American Ford vehicle with such connectors. I wonder if these connectors are from Thailand. My opinion is that they are not robust for assembly and have been the bane of a multitude of electrical problems. Since I have not looked at any other North American Ford products to see if they have the same style of connectors, I can't determine if Ford globally changed the electrical architecture of the electrical system or are we dealing with unique Aussie designed electrics? Any Ford Dealer mechanics on board that can shed some light on this Ranger electrical system compared to the North American products.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This style of connector is not new to Ford, been seeing them for a while. Pin fit issues are not new either, anyone that works on 2011 and newer Super Dutys will likely know connector C210 very well.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I just did the inspection on my Ranger. I've never had an issue with it but the inspection failed, 1 pin pulled out of the connector. Talked to the parts man and parts won't be available until early January.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This style of connector is not new to Ford, been seeing them for a while. Pin fit issues are not new either, anyone that works on 2011 and newer Super Dutys will likely know connector C210 very well.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification! Why on earth they would continue to use a design that is problematic... I am leaving well enough alone on my truck as every thing is working okay. Will wait for the recall letter. How did you perform the inspection? Do you try to pull the connector apart or do you pull it apart and push on each pin on the male connector and do you also do this on the female connector too?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification! Why on earth they would continue to use a design that is problematic... I am leaving well enough alone on my truck as every thing is working okay. Will wait for the recall letter. How did you perform the inspection? Do you try to pull the connector apart or do you pull it apart and push on each pin on the male connector and do you also do this on the female connector too?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
First is a continuity test of the tail light ground circuit. The covers for the connector are removed and the black wire, pin 20, is tugged on both sides to verify proper fitment. Then all wires in the center row on both male and female connectors are lightly tugged individually to verify they are fully engaged in place and the pin lock tabs are in place. If it passes it's reassembled. If it fails the connector is separated to inspect the pins for damage, the vehicle is then repaired as necessary with the required hardshell(s) and individual pins. Here's some neat pictures.
1.jpg

Cover removed
4.jpg

Damaged pin 20 lock on my truck
3.jpg
2.jpg

Broken hard shell on new in stock truck.

I've inspected 4 trucks today. 2 need hardshells with no pins and 2 passed inspection.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My VIN returns as affected. I have not had any problems that I'm aware of.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First is a continuity test of the tail light ground circuit. The covers for the connector are removed and the black wire, pin 20, is tugged on both sides to verify proper fitment. Then all wires in the center row on both male and female connectors are lightly tugged individually to verify they are fully engaged in place and the pin lock tabs are in place. If it passes it's reassembled. If it fails the connector is separated to inspect the pins for damage, the vehicle is then repaired as necessary with the required hardshell(s) and individual pins. Here's some neat pictures.
1.jpg

Cover removed
4.jpg

Damaged pin 20 lock on my truck
3.jpg
2.jpg

Broken hard shell on new in stock truck.

I've inspected 4 trucks today. 2 need hardshells with no pins and 2 passed inspection.
Hi Matt,

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineeriing
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jmckinley

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C Max, 2019 Ranger XLT SuperCab, Kawasaki VX 300, Mazda Miata, Damon Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hi Matt,

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineeriing
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Went to pick up my new truck today which dealer had located for me. Recall now is “Do Not Sell” and they they can’t deliver it and parts not available until January. If I wait, I’ll miss the $5k in rebates which expire soon. I think they are misreading something.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Went to pick up my new truck today which dealer had located for me. Recall now is “Do Not Sell” and they they can’t deliver it and parts not available until January. If I wait, I’ll miss the $5k in rebates which expire soon. I think they are misreading something.
Ford says that less than 2.2% of affected vehicles will need repair. If it passes inspection they can sell it.

dguffin

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Corsair, 19 Ranger, 12 Boss, 08 Zuma
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
My recall was performed today and only needed inspection. All ok.

DannyL

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT CA Special. Ordering a Ranger Lariat FX2 Supercab in February 2020
Sounds to me like they are jerking your chain!
They want the extra 5K in your financing

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
This issue occurred on my truck when I bought it in June. It was replaced before the recall was issued. I called the Ford dealer and they certified that it was fixed during the original repair.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I fluid filmed my whole dam undercarriage. some tech is gonna need several glove changes !!
Sponsored