Rock slider recommendations (2020 Lariat FX4)

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Those rrws look really nice. I like how you there's no drilling but they are frame mounted. Shame they are so expensive though.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Have you had them out in the dirt and hit them?
I've hit them on trees, more of our terrain here, it's held up great. Scuffed em pretty good, but they were so solid they shifted the whole truck sideways and away from the tree thanks to the kick outs. Lifesaver a few times. Haven't gotten close enough to any rocks yet that I've hit them on the rocks yet.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Please confirm how your Shrockwork sliders don't require drilling the one hole.

The hole i drilled was in the frame. Hence, they bolted to the frame.
the fact of needing to drill one hole had already been presented, I just did not repeat it.
Hope this helps.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
... The RRW have backing plates that mount to the inside of the frame, instead of below. Thoughts on which type of plates would be better? I like the kickouts, but don't want to sacrifice strength. I don't rock crawl, but I want my cab to be protected for when I get out and have to get over things.
Shrockworks has those plates too on the inside of the frame.... see photo below.

What I was referring to was the weld on sliders. If the y have big plates that weld to the outside face of the frame, spanning from the bottom almost all the way to the top... sure those would be great too....

BUT! (and this comes from a guy who made a living working in weld shops since 1981 and who's modified cars and trucks since 1978) I would not want anybody welding sliders to the frame of my Ranger. Like I said before.. the side of the frames are basically sheet metal gauge steel. I've done a bunch of modifications on older trucks, where the frame was 3/16" or 1/4" plate... no worries. But for me, being able to unbolt the sliders if I want to remove them to get them re-powder coated, or in the event they get bent, is a huge plus.

007.JPG

Last edited:

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
alright @HenryMac - I read your install (actually, I bounced through your whole thread) and I have a couple of questions. I will try to articulate them so that they make sense, but ask me if I am not clear enough.

1. With the Schrockworks, the bottom plate would pull away from the frame when you put weight on the sliders, right? I know they are bolted, but wouldn't the pressure on the slider want to pull them away from the frame?

2. Would the 3 legs of the RRW sliders offer more weight distribution across the frame than the 2 of the SW?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
alright @HenryMac - I read your install (actually, I bounced through your whole thread) and I have a couple of questions. I will try to articulate them so that they make sense, but ask me if I am not clear enough.

1. With the Schrockworks, the bottom plate would pull away from the frame when you put weight on the sliders, right? I know they are bolted, but wouldn't the pressure on the slider want to pull them away from the frame?

2. Would the 3 legs of the RRW sliders offer more weight distribution across the frame than the 2 of the SW?

Shrockworks uses a 1/2 bolt in the bottom of the frame, and another 1/2" bolt in the side of the frame. Yes the load wants to pull it away, but the brackets are 1/4" steel. The fact that the bracket bends and goes under the frame adds a lot of rigidity to the mount/frame as it loads the side and bottom of the frame.​

Yes, but their mounting plates are 3/16", not 1/4", they load only the side of the frame, and don't have the added rigidity of the 90 degree bend and lower bolt.​

I think both designs will work well, but the Shrockworks is a better design IMO and are less money.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.

the RRW sliders do have a 90* bend above and below the frame mount brackets but they don't go as far as the SW do in the pics above in this thread. I think both will work great. I got mine for a steal on their black Friday sale.
20210402_201833.jpg
PSX_20210403_144614.jpg
PSX_20210403_172020.jpg
PSX_20210403_172210.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
the RRW sliders do have a 90* bend above and below the frame mount brackets but they don't go as far as the SW do in the pics above in this thread. I think both will work great. I got mine for a steal on their black Friday sale.
20210402_201833.jpg
PSX_20210403_144614.jpg
PSX_20210403_172020.jpg
PSX_20210403_172210.jpg
REVISED 06-09-2021

Thanks for posting this. I contacted RRW via email. Here is their response:
Hi John,
The render on our website is our new and improved mounting plate that is reinforced with bigger plates and gussets so it no longer has the 90 degree bend on it. The photo from the customer is of our previous plate design.
Thanks,
Emily

So... @OxyGenIII has the old RRW design (which is better than the new design). They no longer have the 90 degree bend on the plates that are welded to the slider. Their new design is shown on their website photo's.

All changes for the worse... IMO.

1624039433592.png

Last edited:

MNIKKILA

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Video Production/Creative
I almost went with ShrockWorks also, but at the time 3 or 4 users who just ordered had fitment issues with the driver's side slider contacting or almost contacting body panels. Any bit of flex and you'd be damaging the paint. Kinda the opposite effect. SW seemed like they were going to look at their fixture to see if they could tweak it for more clearance but I wasn't about to order and get them before they fixed it.
I called them and asked them about this and they laughed at me. A dude from Shrockworks actually laughed at me. I hung up the phone.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I called them and asked them about this and they laughed at me. A dude from Shrockworks actually laughed at me. I hung up the phone.
That sucks. Their customer service is a bit lacking. If they're going to hit anything it's going to be the pinch weld at the front of the sliders. They're too close for my taste but I havent had them you yet. Heard some talk about ice buildup so we'll see where we land in winter.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I almost went with ShrockWorks also, but at the time 3 or 4 users who just ordered had fitment issues with the driver's side slider contacting or almost contacting body panels. Any bit of flex and you'd be damaging the paint. Kinda the opposite effect. SW seemed like they were going to look at their fixture to see if they could tweak it for more clearance but I wasn't about to order and get them before they fixed it.
You have a legit concern. We get ice build up on ours and you can hear it knocking against the paint. It's happened twice.

When I emailed them the response I got back was:

"Well that’s certainly something we didn’t consider! Ice buildup isn’t something we are familiar with down here in Texas. I appreciate the feedback."

I like that they are tucked up tight, but the front of their sliders are much closer to the front rocker panel, than they are to the bed in the rear.

001.JPG

002.JPG

MNIKKILA

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Video Production/Creative
You have a legit concern. We get ice build up on ours and you can hear it knocking against the paint. It's happened twice.

When I emailed them the response I got back was:

"Well that’s certainly something we didn’t consider! Ice buildup isn’t something we are familiar with down here in Texas. I appreciate the feedback."

I like that they are tucked up tight, but the front of their sliders are much closer to the front rocker panel, than they are to the bed in the rear.

001.JPG

002.JPG
Yeah I mean that was my concern and quite frankly one of the reasons I haven't quite gone with anything yet. Not an ideal design choice for those of us with winter weather.
Sponsored