Rock slider recommendations (2020 Lariat FX4)

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi All

heading out west for a trip with my buddy in July. He has a jeep with 33 -inch wheels, lifted suspension etc. We're not going rock crawling, but me may meet up with some other sand I don't want to be the limiting factor or have to skip certain trails. I'd be more comfortable with some protection and the running boads that come on the ranger no use to me (for both getting into the truck if you're a reasonable height and i presume would offer little protection)

Any recommendations ( i need by early July)?

Thanks

mark
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Addicted Dessert Designs, Relations Race Wheels both make attractive sliders. I know there are more but I was debating between those two myself and went with RRW
IMG_20210613_185209_809.jpg

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
A lot here are using ShrockWorks sliders. @HenryMac has a good detailed install on them if you check out his build page.

https://www.shrockworks.com

Here is his write up on them post #83

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...xl-stx-fx4-magnetic-super-cab.4339/post-98565
I almost went with ShrockWorks also, but at the time 3 or 4 users who just ordered had fitment issues with the driver's side slider contacting or almost contacting body panels. Any bit of flex and you'd be damaging the paint. Kinda the opposite effect. SW seemed like they were going to look at their fixture to see if they could tweak it for more clearance but I wasn't about to order and get them before they fixed it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I cant give a particular recommendation on rock sliders but many members have found what they like. Now I do understand wanting protection but be aware that if you have a lift kit like the Old Man EMU with 33 inch tires chances are you will not have the major issue of being limited to certain trails as much. I know this because I have this setup on my truck. Does that mean I dont need extra protection? Not at all. I can still use it, its just not as high of a priority.

Hope this helps

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I was seriously considering White Knuckle Rock Sliders. Excellent online .pdf instructions with clear photos. They bolt to only the frame with no drilling. With Shrockworks, you need drill 24 holes and they attach both to the frame and the body seam, effectively tying them together, and I didn't think that sounded like a good idea for my truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I almost went with ShrockWorks also, but at the time 3 or 4 users who just ordered had fitment issues with the driver's side slider contacting or almost contacting body panels. Any bit of flex and you'd be damaging the paint. Kinda the opposite effect. SW seemed like they were going to look at their fixture to see if they could tweak it for more clearance but I wasn't about to order and get them before they fixed it.

I was going to get sliders but mine had already had the factory running boards. I figured I try and break them or wear them down enough to justify getting a set . lol Now I'll just wait until I get my Bronco and even though it comes with sliders they're only body mounted so they're coming off. Yours look great so hopefully they will make them for the Bronco.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I cant give a particular recommendation on rock sliders but many members have found what they like. Now I do understand wanting protection but be aware that if you have a lift kit like the Old Man EMU with 33 inch tires chances are you will not have the major issue of being limited to certain trails as much. I know this because I have this setup on my truck. Does that mean I dont need extra protection? Not at all. I can still use it, its just not as high of a priority.

Hope this helps
No lift kit. Stock fx4

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Thanks. Way over my budget though as I’m not planning on any rock crawling

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
With Shrockworks, you need drill 24 holes and they attach both to the frame and the body seam, effectively tying them together, and I didn't think that sounded like a good idea for my truck.
Who told you this? With schrockworks you drill 1 hole, and they only attach to the frame, nothing to do with the body

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
A question to add here: Shrockworks has plates on the bottom of the frame and side, but all other models only have side mounts. Is there a benefit to the bottom plate? Does it add strength? I come from a world of weld on sliders, so bolt on is foreign to me. I don't mind drilling the hole, but I like the kick out on other models. If the strength of the bottom plate is worth giving up the kick out, I am fine with that.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I was seriously considering White Knuckle Rock Sliders. Excellent online .pdf instructions with clear photos. They bolt to only the frame with no drilling. With Shrockworks, you need drill 24 holes and they attach both to the frame and the body seam, effectively tying them together, and I didn't think that sounded like a good idea for my truck.
Who told you this? With schrockworks you drill 1 hole, and they only attach to the frame, nothing to do with the body
I don't know now, either. When I was researching rock sliders, I ran across one that required drilling multiple holes (24?). I thought it was Schrockworks, but it obviously it's not, after watching this install video. Maybe it was for a unibody application
My apologies to Schrockworks and the Forum. ?‍♂

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I have the shrockworks and they work well. Bolt to the frame only. I even made use of them as a jacking point when I got a flat tire and had to put on the spare.
The sliders even did a decent job defending against the hit and run driver who sideswiped me at about 35 mph. still had door and fender damage but not near as much as i probably would have.
Sponsored