Ride Quality?

ParkRanger90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I’m reading reviews for a ‘20 and a few of them say the Ranger has a soft/rolling/bouncy ride. One professional reviewer said they got “Seasickness” driving it.

I’ve test driven it and I haven’t really noticed that. But I’ve also never owned a truck before and could only compare it to sedans. Any “truck people” out there comment on the ride quality? Is it comparable to other trucks?
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I have an XLT, i haven't felt like it rides poorly on the freeways or streets. I don't have a lot to compare it to since i mostly drove cars and fully tooled up utility trucks.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I’m reading reviews for a ‘20 and a few of them say the Ranger has a soft/rolling/bouncy ride. One professional reviewer said they got “Seasickness” driving it.

I’ve test driven it and I haven’t really noticed that. But I’ve also never owned a truck before and could only compare it to sedans. Any “truck people” out there comment on the ride quality? Is it comparable to other trucks?
I've driven 4x4 Tacoma's since 1995. We traded our '02 in to buy our '19 Ranger XL-FX4.

The Ranger rides better than the Tacoma we had, the seat height and comfort is infinitely better than the Tacoma.

bkosh84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Construction Supervisor
My wife for the first time ever on a 3 hour trip didn't have to sleep the entire way because she didn't get car sickness in our new Ranger. Take that for what it's worth.

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I think my Ranger has great ride quality. I do have the FX4 package so it’s soft on minor bumps, which is by design. Personally, I’m fine with that. Our Tacoma, by comparison, is pretty harsh under all conditions. I really like the way the Ranger rides on the highway. Definitely different from the Camaro SS I traded in on the Ranger. Bouncy at low speeds, but not an issue for me. I always look forward to driving my Ranger. I think Ford did a great job on the suspension. And I’ve never become seasick driving it ?.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
Keep in mind a lot of reviewers get ultra picky and fault finding, even if it’s very minor. That’s what get views. I’ve been a mechanic for 20 years and driven countless cars and trucks of all types. That reviewer saying they got motion sickness is just ridiculous and hyperbole. Make it stiff and they’ll complain, make it soft and they’ll complain.

I have an FX2 that I just switched to Fox suspension for the lift. The stock setup is soft and can have some more rebound on the road, but felt good off-road for most occasions. There’s sacrifices in every setup and you cant make everyone happy. I think the stock setup is good for the majority of people.
View most YouTube reviews with a grain of salt. When they’re complaining about the number of USB ports, it should put the rest of their review in perspective.

JohnUSA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I had a Camry, followed by Santa Fe, RAM Rebel all in past four years. They were all smo-o-o-o-th rides. My butt would say the Ranger is within 10%.
There is one area on a local highway where the suspension kinda rolls, but nowhere else. I had read some reviews that called the Ranger suspension "harsh", and I don't find that at all.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have the FX4 package, which I find can have a bit of a tendency to be somewhat "rolly" - Don't get me wrong: It's a VERY comfortable ride. But for instance, when I pull into my driveway, if I do it at a bit of an angle, such that all 4 wheels hit the curb at a different time, the truck seems to want to rock side to side back and forth more than I would have expected. The rear is firmer than the front, but over all it handles and rides quite well on the road.

Off road, it's an absolute dream!

gcan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have a FX4 and agree on less than perfect roads the ride is soft and could be considered "rolly" or bouncy.
I believe Ford wanted to make the ride between a truck and a SUV, it is much softer than the F150 I traded in and on a long trip or on decent roads the ride is as good as my wife's Edge......mission accomplished.

Deleted member 1634

I would agree with a lot of posters on this thread that the ride is softer and bouncier than a usual truck. Some may not like that. Personally I like it a lot. I would hate to have the usual rough and harsh truck ride quality. That's what hurts the back and the bones. The thing is, ride quality is such a subjective thing. There aren't numbers to hit like with horsepower, torque, 0-60, or other criteria like for crash protection. It all depends on the person. Some people don't like it, some people do. All that matters is that you as the buyer/driver like it.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
For me, its a bag of mixed sensations.

Very nice ride on good roads, harsh on road imperfections and I swear the Ranger rocks at stops from the fuel sloshing around in the tank.

To guess, the springs are a bit on the stiff side, the shocks on the soft side.

XCELLR8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Frontier
For me, its a bag of mixed sensations.

Very nice ride on good roads, harsh on road imperfections and I swear the Ranger rocks at stops from the fuel sloshing around in the tank.

To guess, the springs are a bit on the stiff side, the shocks on the soft side.
^^This^^

I will add that when driving on a windy day and you are in a cross wind, the truck rocks back and forth with the wind gusts. This has been when test driving an FX4 Ranger.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
We had an FX4 for about 8 months before getting involved in a crash and totaling it. The FX4 is pretty bouncy especially when towing, but then the shocks are designed for off road use. We replaced our original with a 2 wheel drive and the ride is much firmer but not harsh. The 2 wheel drive handles the tow load quite a bit Better with less bounce Than the FX4.
Sponsored