1980 quality cars?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I think the biggest issue the carbureted 300ci I-6 had was emissions. Years ago, a co-worker had that motor in a '81 F-150 4x4. As I recall, his only complaint was getting it to pass emissions in Phoenix. LOL, he once told me one of his friends worked at an emissions testing center and would fudge the numbers to get it to pass. As I recall, if the carb was adjusted correctly for the inner 4 cylinders, the outer 2 cylinders were running lean. If you adjusted the outer 2 cylinders correctly, the inner 4 were running rich. I assume Ford fixed this issue when they offered FI.
I'm sure that was a big factor, even though it eventually went to MPFI like everything else. I tend to think another issue with most inline 6CYL engines was packaging and weight for modern body designs.
Further development of this all cast iron dinosaur was just not practical compared to the cheaper and more compact V6 designs.
Still, time marches on....What worked well 50 years ago must make way for changing times...
There aren't any more of those venerable flatheads out there either. :blush::giggle:
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honest to God, I was looking at selling my '20 Mustang GT and buying a Tesla S Plaid before all this Russia crap because it'd run me about $30.00 per 1000 miles charging it at home, (0.13 per KwH x 250KwH = 1000 miles) there aren't any. I looked for a Mach-E too...there aren't any. Then there's the cost. Wow, they're expensive if you get a nicely loaded one. The Mach-E is by far the most cost effective, and I'd gladly buy one of those for $65k. The Plaid is $155k optioned the way I want it. A buddy of mine has over 100k miles on a S and his range started at 300 miles, and is still 297 miles, so they definitely aren't phone batteries. Tesla is the only one without a ADM because you order it from them. But, another guy I work with had one ordered with a May delivery date that is now August to October.

I'll just keep my Ranger and Mustang for now. I may order a 2023 Mach-E in July though. Those Tesla's are nice though, and holy f*ck they're quick. A Model3 Performance chewed my Mustang to pieces, and it has a longer range. 15 minutes on a supercharger gives it 250 miles, and you can run the A/C and watch Netflix while it's charging.

The cost, and scarcity of the EV's we're supposed to just run out and buy shows how out of touch our "leaders" are with the real world. You won't catch me in Leaf or a Bolt. I'll walk. Sorry for hijacking the thread...I'll release the hostages now
Since the day before the inauguration a year ago, gasoline has gone from $1.89 to $4.59+ per gallon, which should make the Tesla start looking good. :like:
Unfortunately, Natural Gas and Electricty have both more than doubled as well, along with nearly 10% inflation overall. This all bites into the cost of switching to the Tesla as well.:oops:
BTW, use caution when you start to assess the blame, and don't go "Russian to judgement" without examining all the angles.:giggle:

Last edited:

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Born in mid 70's and grew up understanding American cars were inferior, the smart buy was Japanese. My parents were never satisfied with their vehicles until they bought their first new one, a 1986 Honda Accord. That car was flawless, utterly reliable and its clutch survived two teenage drivers with learner's permits.

I have no brand loyalty, I buy what the best information suggests is reliable and a good value. Lets be honest, neither Ford nor Chevy had anything remotely reliable and quality in 1986 as Honda's Accord.

My anti-domestic sentiments didn't really turn until the last 15 yrs or so. I just ordered Ranger, my first American car purchase in 30 yrs, which is just about as long as I've been driving. I had a '74 Mercury Comet (POS) and a Mazda B Series through college - that was technically domestic, I believe, a rebrand of a Ford Ranger.

Empirically speaking, domestic cars of the 80's and even 90's didn't compete on the quality and reliability front as their Japanese counterparts. If you had to pick from two early 90's cars right now, would you pick a Ford Tempo or a Honda Civic? Easy choice!

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I know the thread is titled 1980, but here's my first pickup from 1978. A very basic Chevrolet Custom Deluxe. Other than a much-needed repaint and refresh late in its life, had very little maintenance done on it. Kept it for almost 20 years - truly wish that I'd have been able to keep it.

1978 Chevy Before.jpg

1978 Chevy After.jpg
my first truck was similar to yours. except mine was the one made on friday at 430 pm... still loved it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Born in mid 70's and grew up understanding American cars were inferior, the smart buy was Japanese. My parents were never satisfied with their vehicles until they bought their first new one, a 1986 Honda Accord. That car was flawless, utterly reliable and its clutch survived two teenage drivers with learner's permits.

I have no brand loyalty, I buy what the best information suggests is reliable and a good value. Lets be honest, neither Ford nor Chevy had anything remotely reliable and quality in 1986 as Honda's Accord.

My anti-domestic sentiments didn't really turn until the last 15 yrs or so. I just ordered Ranger, my first American car purchase in 30 yrs, which is just about as long as I've been driving. I had a '74 Mercury Comet (POS) and a Mazda B Series through college - that was technically domestic, I believe, a rebrand of a Ford Ranger.

Empirically speaking, domestic cars of the 80's and even 90's didn't compete on the quality and reliability front as their Japanese counterparts. If you had to pick from two early 90's cars right now, would you pick a Ford Tempo or a Honda Civic? Easy choice!
I don't really think it is dishonest to disagree with your assessment.
I chose the Tempo in '84 ... TRX 5spd . Several thousand dollars less than the Accord, flawless in fit and finish and totally reliable. Also, it would out handle a BMW 3series.

It was broadsided in the early nineties and totaled. It was replaced with a 1992 Ranger and soon after added an SN95 GT convertible. Empirically or subjectively speaking.....Happy to compare any of these with the best Accord had to offer.
, I suggest that your opinion may be more subjective and less "empirical" than you think, being born about the same time as my children, an era of Nippon automotive bias.
I loved the NSX and the early CRX, but I couldn't afford the former and couldn't trust the latter.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
All I can say is that my record with Fords would stand proud against any Pacific rim vehicle built at the time....Not only better ,but less expensive to buy, and WAY less to maintain.
No doubt Ford was the best of the domestic manufacturers at the time. I bought an 85 Mustang brand new, 4-banger 4-speed, and had it for 11 years, to this day the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
When you discuss cars from the 70's & 80's just remember the context...
This is a 50+ year old Pinto on an autocross course...
note , its only a hatchback ...
Great car or what?
Looks tough! 351 Boss Motor?!?! Baldwin-Motion Performance installed 454 motors in 4 Chevrolet Vegas before the EPA shut them down in 1974. An unknown number of 350 motors were installed.

1.jpeg

iu.jpeg

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
Toyota Corolla was a solid car at 80's. Enough room, decent trunk, ran for 200k+ miles and only thing which you needed to replace was oil, tires and shocks. Even got decent 7l/100km fuel mileage (21L/100km at top speed) and the casette player worked really nicely. Of course the crash worthiness was like tinfoil, but it got me to many places.

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
When you discuss cars from the 70's & 80's just remember the context...
This is a 50+ year old Pinto on an autocross course...
note , its only a hatchback ...
Great car or what?
My wife drove a Pinto in high school. "Yep I'm that old" LOL
It was actually a great little car and she was a cutie drivin it too! We got married not long after we graduated and it was more reliable than the car that I brought to the table.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks tough! 351 Boss Motor?!?! Baldwin-Motion Performance installed 454 motors in 4 Chevrolet Vegas before the EPA shut them down in 1974. An unknown number of 350 motors were installed.

1.jpeg

iu.jpeg
Try 2.0L with a 4spd.
Sponsored