First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
That bored... bored turbo. Impressive mpg but I feel back for the snail.
The turbos will start to appreciate it around 100,000 miles.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Ok so maybe you'all can help me with this mpg thing.
Here's the deal I usually try to stay in 4hi as much as possible, my tires pressure is around 27 for curb crawling and pot hole smashing and I try my hardest to keep it in boost, I also let the truck warm up for about 10 minutes and cool down for 10 minutes to help with engine wear and turbo longevity.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
The turbos will start to appreciate it around 100,000 miles.
Hoping my MY21 Ford is at least as good as my previous 2009 Cobalt SS that was destroyed at 150k miles after many miles of boosting by some asshole who thought the ebrake was for emergencies when doing 20 over the speed limit and hit it sitting still. If not... Sad Ford.. sad.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so maybe you'all can help me with this mpg thing.
Here's the deal I usually try to stay in 4hi as much as possible, my tires pressure is around 27 for curb crawling and pot hole smashing and I try my hardest to keep it in boost, I also let the truck warm up for about 10 minutes and cool down for 10 minutes to help with engine wear and turbo longevity.
This kind of feels like trolling, but I'm going to assume it's not and answer it as such.

You should never be running in 4hi unless you're on limited traction areas (definitely not on pavement/concrete/etc), it's potentially damaging to the drive-train. A low tire pressure will also affect mileage (most trucks are stickered for 30-32psi), keeping them properly inflated will also help, and the higher the pressure the better (though over-inflating is also a problem, generally with passenger-rated tires, a pressure between vehicle sticker and 40psi is safe).

Running the truck in boost also has a massive impact on mileage, the more boost you have the more fuel gets dumped in to account for the extra air and combustion that needs to happen. Less boost = more MPG. The warm-up and cool-down isn't required (all that idling time *also* kills your overall mileage) unless you're driving *realllllly* hard (like taking it around a race-track hard).

In short:
1) Use 2wd.
2) Proper tire pressure (30-35psi).
3) Less boost.
4) Limited idling.

That'll help your mileage.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
This kind of feels like trolling, but I'm going to assume it's not and answer it as such.

You should never be running in 4hi unless you're on limited traction areas (definitely not on pavement/concrete/etc), it's potentially damaging to the drive-train. A low tire pressure will also affect mileage (most trucks are stickered for 30-32psi), keeping them properly inflated will also help, and the higher the pressure the better (though over-inflating is also a problem, generally with passenger-rated tires, a pressure between vehicle sticker and 40psi is safe).

Running the truck in boost also has a massive impact on mileage, the more boost you have the more fuel gets dumped in to account for the extra air and combustion that needs to happen. Less boost = more MPG. The warm-up and cool-down isn't required (all that idling time *also* kills your overall mileage) unless you're driving *realllllly* hard (like taking it around a race-track hard).

In short:
1) Use 2wd.
2) Proper tire pressure (30-35psi).
3) Less boost.
4) Limited idling.

That'll help your mileage.
Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Ranger Trav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercab
Occupation
Smart Guy
You can improve city mileage by dangling every off road accessory possible from your bed rack and driving around the city.

neat1954

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Expedition
Occupation
QC inspector
Took a little road trip yesterday and drove it real judiciously and averaged 24.5 mpg. Not bad for an FX4 I thought. That was hand calculated by the way.

Last edited:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I managed the same at about 60mph on a trip last yr, yup, not bad at all.
On another note, I've been bitchin about my average 18mpg... But, my
wife was telling me she's a little less on the gas these days, so, no
more WOT I guess, at these prices. Last few tanks are well within the
the sticker announced city/highway advertised consumption.

Wesmertz

First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger SXT FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Grocery Management
I have an FX4 with fox coil overs (levelish) and 32” toyos (SL rated). I was getting 21-22 average with 87, switched to 91-93 and got up to 23.5, then the wife filled up with 85 (I didn’t know she didn’t know). Now I’m getting 20-21… I am not sure if the 85 will mess anything up, so I started topping off every other day with premium to “dilute it”. Now I’m running the bitch to empty and refilling with premium.

Danny15l

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT sport package 4x4
Small turbos work best under short bursts of power. Get up to speed under 3k rpm and coast.