First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
You don’t have to hold it for 5 seconds, just push it and the icon will show ...
Thanks. I'll try it. I'm getting around 19, but that's mainly city driving, and I'm only on my second tank at ~450 miles. I filled up with 93 on my second tank.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t have to hold it for 5 seconds, just push it and the icon will show ...when I start I push the s/s off and traction control off ...2 touch’s ..
Just pushing it only toggles Traction control. Pushing and holding will toggle AdvanceTrac. @Tom_C

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Well the title sort of does say exactly what I was saying...

Either way I am not a V-Power guy. I like Silver, seems to be the flavour my truck likes and with Shells 11 herbs and spices it’s a solid choice. Most mid grades are decent. I had a post in the Canada sub forum with my Canadian recommendations. Some of it backed up by other people. Again if you have a preference stick to it. My biggest points are if you don’t actually need the high test stuff you probably aren’t saving money, and ethanol won’t kill your engine. Mid grades generally only have 5% ethanol and a higher treatment rate of DCA’s.

Only real issue for ethanol is if it gets in contact with water, creates an alcohol (basic basic science) and can increase corrosion risk etc.

As for the jurisdiction thing, yep like I said, there are some regulatory requirements for bio fuel blending. Get ready, B5 and higher is becoming more common as well and E15-85 are coming too. Another thing with premiums are the RON #. That is not standard across the board. In short there isn’t “bad” gas, just less good gas.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Really? Very interesting.

Thinking this through... so the Tremor package (Really just a lift kit and bigger tires) takes the Ranger FX4 from a 20/24 mpg vehicle and dropps it down to a 19/19 mpg vehicle?

That kind of answers the question about how much a lift and bigger tires effect mpg.

In town I can see how the heavier tires would be an issue... but cruising down the highway? I mean once you have momentum.. 5 mpg hit seems unlikely no bigger than the Tremor wheel and tires package are.
My FX4 never saw anywhere near 24 mpg. Best I averaged was 17 mpg for the 1200 miles I drove it.

• Sad

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to data I found online:
" Shell V-Power ranges from 91 to 93 octane both with and without added ethanol. It just varies from station to station, and it's up to the station owner whether or not to sell pure gas. "
Interesting. We have a Wawa station near the boat ramp that sells 89 octane ethanol free fuel which I have used in the boat since day 1. A little more expensive, but worth it in that application.

Northwet Neil

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Occupation
Quality Assurance
I’ve got up to 25.3 2wd, 66-70 mph, 70% freeway with auto stop start on. Some stop and go usually about 3 miles out of 35 mile commute. Dropped to 10 towing trailer through small towns got just over 13 smooth driving on freeway with it.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
Interesting. We have a Wawa station near the boat ramp that sells 89 octane ethanol free fuel which I have used in the boat since day 1. A little more expensive, but worth it in that application.
That’s probably no longer like that or is going to be going to ethanol. Wawa may have gotten it from Sarnia, or Saulte Ste Marie, which historically were not setup for ethanol. Sarnia is now I believe for the big 3 there

also base 89 is sort of rare. It’s usually mixed at the dispenser where you fill up by adding 91 or 93/94 to 87 so it would have less ethanol. 5% usually. Most bulk terminals can blend it (where I work we can but no one takes it’s). It’s probably loaded by a little squirt truck as either 89 from the plant they pick up or it’s mixed with premium at the marina if they have a 91/93/94 tank. There are always some places with different things. BC has purple gas (marine and farm) and it doesn’t have ethanol last time I looked into it (5-6 years ago). Makes sense for marinas to not have ethanol but some people are cheap and will take what’s cheapest. Water + ethanol= chemistry of bad ju ju.

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well, i drive a pickup truck. Mpg was never a consideration when buying a pickup truck. I only keep track because if it gets way off skew from normal i know something is wrong with performance. So its a new truck so I don't worry right now with that either. Bought in january i have 10k on it now. Sooo........

About 18mpg. 22 at best here. Road trips 22 to 27 depending on winter or summer blend, i live in south texas and found ohio and Illinois gas was totally awesome on mpg!!! 27!!! Now just 18 in texas everyday use

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s probably no longer like that or is going to be going to ethanol. Wawa may have gotten it from Sarnia, or Saulte Ste Marie, which historically were not setup for ethanol. Sarnia is now I believe for the big 3 there

also base 89 is sort of rare. It’s usually mixed at the dispenser where you fill up by adding 91 or 93/94 to 87 so it would have less ethanol. 5% usually. Most bulk terminals can blend it (where I work we can but no one takes it’s). It’s probably loaded by a little squirt truck as either 89 from the plant they pick up or it’s mixed with premium at the marina if they have a 91/93/94 tank. There are always some places with different things. BC has purple gas (marine and farm) and it doesn’t have ethanol last time I looked into it (5-6 years ago). Makes sense for marinas to not have ethanol but some people are cheap and will take what’s cheapest. Water + ethanol= chemistry of bad ju ju.
Interesting. All the Wawa stores have ethanol free and have since I can remember. They even have a permanent spot allocated for it in their digital sign. Hope it doesn't go away. Guess if it does there's always marina fuel by ValvTect. Luckily there are 4 of 5 options on the river without even going out to the intercostal waterway or a trip in the gulf.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Just came home from a 800 mile trip through the Smoky Mnt area...lots of elevation changes...averaged 19.5 with my rig...

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
Interesting. All the Wawa stores have ethanol free and have since I can remember. They even have a permanent spot allocated for it in their digital sign. Hope it doesn't go away. Guess if it does there's always marina fuel by ValvTect. Luckily there are 4 of 5 options on the river without even going out to the intercostal waterway or a trip in the gulf.
I’m on the St. Lawrence/Lake O, and there are some places that have signs saying certain fuels don’t contain ethanol. One station used to be a Shell and was bought by an independent and they advertise now that their Premium 91 is still ethanol free. It really boils down to the supplier (not always the source). If mom and pop store with 2 pumps buy one day from Parkland, and the next from someone like Edwards or McDougal, or whoever it’s basically the same. If the company that brings their fuel can’t get any at one rack but can at someone else’s. The big name brands like PetroCanada , Shell, Esso, Ultramar, etc... branded fuels almost always have the same recipe regardless of where it’s picked up. Where I am we can load branded fuels for a few of the big 3-4, and everyone’s generic. There could very well be a marine 87 without ethanol, but it’s uncommon. I wouldn’t put ethanol fuel in my boat unless I was going to use the whole tank in one shot. 2 strokes dislike ethanol too.

Some customers have certain agreements for certain things too from certain places. We load B5 diesel for one client but they have one customer that is strictly B0 (ultra low sulphur diesel), and it’s the only one. With the current liberal government tho it’s more beneficial for suppliers to move bio blends of fuels for carbon credit reasons. Ethanol is also renewable and creates jobs, but I doubt if you factor in manufacturing and transport it’s more environmentally friendly. Ethanol cannot be shipped via pipelines (in their current form). The pipeline has to have a special coating which is costly and as you know pipeline construction is a kin to killing small children and eating them so it’s all shipped by rail or truck, and if you imagine, rail cars are around 33700 gallons a car and a truck is about 50000L, and with 10% of E10, it doesn’t take hard maths to figure out the number of rail cars or trucks needed to transport the ethanol to the blending racks.... bio diesel is usually sent as B20 or B100 (20% or 100% bio base) so the efficiency maths are sometimes a little better. It’s all about saving the penguins and polar bears in the media tho...

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
2+years with tune and S mode 90% of the time with spirited driving my average is 22mpg. Rounded down from 22.4 because common trend is truck slightly over estimates.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Owned the truck for 5 weeks. I reset the MPG thingy at every fill-up. Averaging 20 mpg in mixed driving using 87. My unscientific observation since I've only tried it twice, but it happened both times, if I run 89 then I get 20.5 mpg. Oddly if I reset Trip Odometer 2 for a highway trip I only get maybe 22.5 mpg. Still far better than the Sport Trac I had before where I averaged 14 mpg.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
FX4, 3.5 lift, Warn steel bumper, and I have a heavy foot.
I do live rural and 90% of my driving is cruise control at ~60 mph.

First 1700 miles with 265/60-18 dash reported 18.1 mpg.
Next 800 miles with 285/70-17 dash now reports 15.7 mpg.

I am in Canada and have been using the remote start to warm it up before I move. No longer than necessary, but 10 minutes on some days the first month. Even today, I had frosted and fogged windows, I needed a few minutes before I could drive.

I had almost identical numbers with my 2010 F150 5.4L over 6 years. Just under 18 mpg on 235/65-17, and 15.5 mpg with 285/70-17.

I'm going to turn of traction control and reset the computer.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Operator
Road tripped last night and got 9.1 L/100km on Shell Silver (89). Have Mishimoto air intake, and the velossatech intake scoop. Also drove with traction control off. Avg speed 115km/hr
Sponsored

Last edited: