Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I saw this video by Long McArthur Ford on removing the vinyl from the doors of the Maverick.

I have the same bubbles on the top of my doors on the vinyl and had considered removing this vinyl but have been antsy that under it would not be painted - ie just primed. Based on this video it appears to be painted. I have mentioned it to 3 different dealers and their response has been "huh, never seen that before." Which IMHO thats BS and they just don't want to mess with it. . . (shrug - Dealers are a rip off and I cannot wait until the day I can buy direct from the manufacturers. . . )

When it warms up, I may remove this vinyl and either redo with something that would match the wheel wells and bumpers instead of black. Or I may leave it body color.

I am sure there are others who have done this - any pictures of your trucks without the vinyl?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I saw this video by Long McArthur Ford on removing the vinyl from the doors of the Maverick.

I have the same bubbles on the top of my doors on the vinyl and had considered removing this vinyl but have been antsy that under it would not be painted - ie just primed. Based on this video it appears to be painted. I have mentioned it to 3 different dealers and their response has been "huh, never seen that before." Which IMHO thats BS and they just don't want to mess with it. . . (shrug - Dealers are a rip off and I cannot wait until the day I can buy direct from the manufacturers. . . )

When it warms up, I may remove this vinyl and either redo with something that would match the wheel wells and bumpers instead of black. Or I may leave it body color.

I am sure there are others who have done this - any pictures of your trucks without the vinyl?

Thanks in advance.

Who knew?

OP
OP
Jhbryaniv

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Who knew?
right?!

I mean, it makes sense.

But based on the crap paint job on the rest of my truck, I wouldn't doubt there is an even worse paint job under the vinyl because they knew it would be covered. . .

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Jhbryaniv

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Yes, very easy to remove using a heat gun or wife's hair dryer. Low heat, start to peel it from a corner. It is a piece of vinyl, but thicker than the typical vinyl graphic material. It will stretch as you peel it off, and any residue can easily be removed with isoprel alcohol.
Fully painted, body color underneath.

IMG_20230722_121723642_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Jhbryaniv

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, very easy to remove using a heat gun or wife's hair dryer. Low heat, start to peel it from a corner. It is a piece of vinyl, but thicker than the typical vinyl graphic material. It will stretch as you peel it off, and any residue can easily be removed with isoprel alcohol.
Fully painted, body color underneath.

IMG_20230722_121723642_HDR.jpg
You don't notice any differences between under the vinyl and the body color above? like they added a single color coat instead of 2 coats or anything?

I am only concerned because I have the azure gray tri-coat paint . . .

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No difference in paint....remember, the entire truck is painted first and any trim/vinyl is added after paint had dried/cured. Door pillar gets the same paint as rest of the truck. Pillar is part of the entire door, and gets painted at the same time. Vinyl is added after paint.
If you go to it, just use low heat and start at a corner and slowly peel it off....use high heat and you could actually melt the vinyl. Just hold the gun around 6-8 inches away and slowly wave it back and forth as you peel it off. After a minute you'll get a "feel" for the procedure as it starts to peel.

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
No difference in paint....remember, the entire truck is painted first and any trim/vinyl is added after paint had dried/cured. Door pillar gets the same paint as rest of the truck. Pillar is part of the entire door, and gets painted at the same time. Vinyl is added after paint.
If you go to it, just use low heat and start at a corner and slowly peel it off....use high heat and you could actually melt the vinyl. Just hold the gun around 6-8 inches away and slowly wave it back and forth as you peel it off. After a minute you'll get a "feel" for the procedure as it starts to peel.
Can’t wait to do mine! Oh…never mind.

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima
Hey Grumpaw, is that a step on the rear of your truck? Can you take a picture from the back? Been thinking about getting one.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Grumpaw, is that a step on the rear of your truck? Can you take a picture from the back? Been thinking about getting one.
Yes, Dee Zee Bumper Step, DZ6206S. Simple bolt on step, fixed position, non-folding. Runs around $80 ish depending on where you get it. Very handy to get into bed.
Looks like it protrudes to become a kneeknocker, but it doesn't, .just the photo angle. Barely sticks out from bumper when looking straight down.

IMG_20240202_161547642.jpg

IMG_20240202_161556274.jpg

Last edited:

bsr956

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4; 2013 Nissan Altima
Thanks, looks good. When we go on vacation I usually carry a folding step ladder to get into the bed - twisted my hip the first trip trying to get into the bed.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks, looks good. When we go on vacation I usually carry a folding step ladder to get into the bed - twisted my hip the first trip trying to get into the bed.
I carry one also. When we are on a trip with camper, helps to clean windshield.
I suffer from "old man knees"
Sponsored