Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I would think the stock CAT restricts the exhaust more than the muffler. Wonder if this "MOD" helps with turbo lag?
Doubt it.....I still have lag with my Gibson Cat Back.....just have to power-shift ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
So is there any update as to any MPG gain(if any)? I'm probably going to do this myself but I'm curious
Sorry I've done too many things as at once to guage this. My mpg is up, but could be due to intake. A guy on FB did report a 1 sec decrease in 1/8th mile and like 1-2 mph increase in trap, so performance is there.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Sorry I've done too many things as at once to guage this. My mpg is up, but could be due to intake. A guy on FB did report a 1 sec decrease in 1/8th mile and like 1-2 mph increase in trap, so performance is there.
With a combination of the intake i can belive it. How much did it go up?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
28 Mpg on our latest trip! Thats just the readout though. Atound 20 mpg towing our 1000lb camper
Now it has me curious of the configuration of your truck and what modifications you have made overall.

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Now it has me curious of the configuration of your truck and what modifications you have made overall.
2WD, airaid intake, restrictor delete, 93 octane, and tonneau cover seemed to help. 28mpg was a trip along the coast and just from the readout, not hand calculated.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
2WD, airaid intake, restrictor delete, 93 octane, and tonneau cover seemed to help. 28mpg was a trip along the coast and just from the readout, not hand calculated.
When you say 93 octane are you talking about just putting 93 octane fuel in it? Or do you actually have a tune?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just fuel, switching improved 1-2 mpg.
Good to know sir. I won't argue that the fuel itself doesn't help overall. Being two-wheel-drive probably helps you the most vs myself who has a four-wheel drive. After the information you provided I think I'm going to go ahead and do this one weekend just because it's going to be beneficial overall.

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Good to know sir. I won't argue that the fuel itself doesn't help overall. Being two-wheel-drive probably helps you the most vs myself who has a four-wheel drive. After the information you provided I think I'm going to go ahead and do this one weekend just because it's going to be beneficial overall.
Yeah, my butt dyno was quite happy with that one too.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I could swear that in addition to the 1" restrictor there is also some kind of a spring loaded flap or valve inside the OEM muffler.

A little search tells me that it was @Duke that posted that he cut open the stock muffler and found it there.

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
I could swear that in addition to the 1" restrictor there is also some kind of a spring loaded flap or valve inside the OEM muffler.

A little search tells me that it was @Duke that posted that he cut open the stock muffler and found it there.
I know! And he never posted anymore info or pictures!! I posted on my local ranger page to see if anyone could sell me a stock muffler for cheap so I could cut it open.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know! And he never posted anymore info or pictures!! I posted on my local ranger page to see if anyone could sell me a stock muffler for cheap so I could cut it open.
Hi Alex,

Your cutting a stock muffler won't buy you much. You will never be able to buy a OEM exhaust in the aftermerket. The aftermarket cannot put the quality into the system unless it is a premium system. The OEMs put Midas out of business with respect to exhaust systems...

Okay...a back story....I was in charge of Econoline/Aerostar NVH. We were battling a 460 Cid exhaust problem with a resonance NVH issue. I ordered several exhaust systems from the supplier and we tried some resolutions prior to receiving the systems prior to the receipt of the order...nothing worked. Then we installed a new system and it was wonderful....what changed? We tried other systems but this one system was deemed "golden". Nothing else fixed the problem but a brace from the system to the transmission, called a steady rest, did fix the condition. So what was it about this Golden Exhaust system??? We finally X rayed this one of a kind system to find that the supplier had crammed an outlet pipe way forward into the muffler of the "golden" system. So this was not readily produce able and not pracitical, so the steady rest was put into production. In the aftermarket, you cannot buy an OEM exhaust system, they are too expensive.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired UPS Driver
Yes I cut it open to find the spring loaded gate. I ended up doing the muffler delete. I don't know if it helped the performance but i like the sound.