First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Would the fox 2.0 kit front and back make the bumps in the road more jarring or would it make the ride smoother? Right now with the stock suspension I feel like that the bumps are very noticeable, but at the same time they are cushioned. I wouldn’t want to put this suspension on and have my back be jacked around on every bump because of it being stiffer
Smoother but stiffer if that makes sense. You feel the bump abruptness but you don’t feel the after effects as much(body roll, wiggle) if you want more of a smoother and stiffer ride but not as firm… go eibachs. If you off-road and things like washboard trails are of a concern, go fox.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I did the Fox 2.0 rears yesterday with Timbren bump stops. (I have a trailer) I'm more of an "Urban Assault" guy than an "Off Road" guy. Though I'm really happy with the change, I wanna say that I don't get that OMG! sense the way others do. My take is more of going from an "Abnormal" ride to a "Normal / Propper" ride. I don't feel as tossed around as I did with the nasty @$$ FX4 nonsense. I'm doing the fronts in two weeks. VERY MUCH looking forward to that!

B.

1630067551867.gif
Edit:
You know, I've poured through every one of these suspension threads and agonized over the decision making process. For those of us who are NOT DIYers, there is one factor that is consistantly missing here. Until yeterday, I completely forgot about the importance of the guys doing the work. I don't mind paying for quality work and experience. I chanced into a really great place, and they are predominantly a Fox and King shop. I totally get why those two product lines are complementary for a shop like this. I will likely never justify the expense of Kings (for my use), so Fox it is. If you find a really good shop with guys that inspire faith and they like Eibach, then that's a perfectly legit path to travel. In the end, its all good.

1630067551926.gif

1630067551963.gif
I think the normal and proper ride being stiffer is “wow” enough for me. Then again I do have an extra 300 pounds in the bed so maybe that might influence things as it might be more properly weighted down.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I think the normal and proper ride being stiffer is “wow” enough for me. Then again I do have an extra 300 pounds in the bed so maybe that might influence things as it might be more properly weighted down.
I agree.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
Would the fox 2.0 kit front and back make the bumps in the road more jarring or would it make the ride smoother? Right now with the stock suspension I feel like that the bumps are very noticeable, but at the same time they are cushioned. I wouldn’t want to put this suspension on and have my back be jacked around on every bump because of it being stiffer
I just did my fronts. (Rears already done) SO much better! No going back for me. I couldn't be happier.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I just did my fronts. (Rears already done) SO much better! No going back for me. I couldn't be happier.
What exactly is the improvement? I just wish there was a way to test drive these things

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
What exactly is the improvement? I just wish there was a way to test drive these things
Let me start by saying it was the FX4 shocks that I replaced. Leaving the 4x4 shop's parking lot, I turned left. The second I hit the gas, I noticed. The front end dive that I had become accostomed to was different. It wasn't gone, but I wouldn't expect that on a truck. What it was, was more controled and deliberate. As a whole, the vehicle feels much better. It feels "normal". My vehicle use is mostly urban, but for all the post covid stimulus money public works road projects, you could definately confuse it for "off road". The biggest change is that the "porposing" effect is substantially reduced. I used to get a little sea sick driving for a while. No more.
Yesterday, my wife and I took an Off Road class in upstate New York. For those of you who confuse New York State for New York City, let me say that NYS is mostly Rural and suburban with two mountain ranges in the middle. The Adirondacks which are magnificent, and the Catskills where I spent alot of time when I was younger. Northeast Off Road Adventures is located there. It was a 5 hour class in a 75 acre "School". Of the students in attendance yesterday, There was one Ranger (me), an older modified cherokee, a newer heavily modified 4Runner, a stock 4Runner, a modified Taco with a camper on it, and a base model 4 door Wrangler. In my slightly biased opinion, the only vehicle that did as well or better than me was the Wrangler. And with that, I point out that she was the shortest and lightest of the group, ...just sayin'
All in all, there's no way I can say that I would have done as well with the poor damping of those FX4's.
In the end, I would reiterate that for those like me who are not going to do the work personally, you need to find a shop you really like and trust. That's just as important as the product you pick. After that, any mid to upper end product you settle on will be an improvement over stock.
Enjoy.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've been on the fence for this for a long time. While I like the ride of my Ranger most of the time, there have been occasions where it is a bit too "floaty" for me. I finally sprang for the rear Eibachs and I'm very glad I did. My biggest concern was that they would be too firm, however they really are not much more stiff, they just handle the rebound better. I'm going to echo what many people have said - it is a BIG improvement in ride quality. One example - when going over a bump at an angle, the truck used to really rock back and forth. It does not to that now. It is hard to really explain the difference, but it really did help, and to my relief, it didn't ruin the ride (make it too stiff).

At this point I see no need to do the fronts - the rears did what I wanted and I'm very happy with the upgrade. I would recommend them to anyone on the fence.
Sponsored