Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Hi guys,

I'm finding that the rear end is a bit too bouncy/floaty for my liking in some areas that I plan to travel often. I don't off-road and I do tow a 3200 lbs travel trailer when I can. It's both with and without trailer that I'm finding it bouncy, so I'm hoping that aftermarket shocks in the rear will reduce the bounciness in both situations.

From what I read in some other threads here it sounds like Fox 2.0 are a good way to go. However I noticed that there are Eibach's for half the price, commonly used with levelling kits.

Rear Fox 2.0 Performance Series Smooth Body IFP Shock:
985-24-207
$218 CAD

Eibach PRO-TRUCK SPORT SHOCK:
E60-35-048-01-01
$138 CAD

Any opinions on one vs the other? Is it worth spending more for Fox? Is there a reason not to buy Eibach?

Also, and perhaps most importantly, are rear shocks something I can do myself without having to do an alignment afterwards? I don't see why I'd need to do anything special if just switching out the rears. I'm mechanically inclined but suspension is new to me.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If you are not planning to go off roas then i personally would suggest the Eibachs. They are still a great shock and a much lower cost as you have mentioned. That is my input on this.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking the same. Don’t off-road much. Tow occasionally and think the back is a little soft. Any input from others appreciated.
DMAX

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I installed the Eibach's on the rear an I'm very happy with them. Now the ride is firm an controlled, like a different truck. Installation isn't hard but the Eibach's are so stiff you can't compress them by hand an will need a small jack to push the bottom up into the mount. I used an air ratchet to remove the bolts an the nuts vibrated out an it took me a minute to realize there's a slot the nut slides into, it was kinda hard to see up there. If you can jack the body of the truck up so the suspension droops it helps installing the new shocks too.

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I installed the Eibach's on the rear an I'm very happy with them. Now the ride is firm an controlled, like a different truck. Installation isn't hard but the Eibach's are so stiff you can't compress them by hand an will need a small jack to push the bottom up into the mount. I used an air ratchet to remove the bolts an the nuts vibrated out an it took me a minute to realize there's a slot the nut slides into, it was kinda hard to see up there. If you can jack the body of the truck up so the suspension droops it helps installing the new shocks too.
I kind of like the bouncy truck feel and don't want it to become firm. I just want it to bounce and float around less. Do you think I would be turned off by the firmness?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have a elevated driveway an the front rocks 2 or 3 times, the rear used to rock half a dozen times now it's one an done. The rear feels much more planted on the curvy back roads. I was looking at the sway bar kit but with these shocks I don't think it's needed. Someone commented in the marketplace that they were too stiff for him an he went with Fabtech's. You might want to look them up.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I kind of like the bouncy truck feel and don't want it to become firm. I just want it to bounce and float around less. Do you think I would be turned off by the firmness?
I know a lot of people lile to say it becomea more firm but it really isnt the term I would use. To me its more comfortable and better to control. After installing the Old Man EMU(yes I know not what you want lol) I noticed a huge difference. I even had to show my Finance guy at the dealership because he didnt belive me.

So to answer your question you will like the differnt feel as you won't loose the truck feel. It just wont be near as bouncy.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Exactly, it's not " firmer " it's more accurately described as "in proper control". The reason the stock stuff feels bouncy is because it doesn't have enough damping ( think slowing down the jolt ) and it springs back and forth till it gets back to center ( the bouncy ).

OP
OP
TechnicallyReal

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Thanks everyone. I ordered the Eibachs last night. Still curious what the Fox 2.0 difference would be if they were only on the rear, but the Eibachs seem like what I need for less money.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone. I ordered the Eibachs last night. Still curious what the Fox 2.0 difference would be if they were only on the rear, but the Eibachs seem like what I need for less money.
I would love to hear your thoughts after you install them.