Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Hi Chris,

5G Ranger tested with for 2019 with Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant XY-80W90-QL according to the owner's manual. Not sure if this stuff qualifies as synthethic or not. Not an oil expert for sure. I do know that 4G Ranger at the time I retired only used the "good stuff"...ie synthetic on the FX4 with the Torsen diff.

• Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant is an excellent multi-purpose extreme pressure lubricant recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. It is recommended for conventional and limited-slip differentials of passenger cars, light trucks, vans and buses that operate under mild to severe service conditions
  • Motorcraft® SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant is manufactured using premium quality hydroprocessed base oils and performance additives to provide thermal and oxidative stability and protection against gear wear, rust and corrosion. This product meets the requirements of MIL-PRF-2105E & Mack GO-J
I am of the opinion that you stick with the Motorcraft brand to be in the safe side. Looks like it can be had for around $6 a quart.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
"Hydroprocessed base oil" sounds like semi-synthetic, interestingly in Aus Ford recommends full synthetic as a suitable replacement. But quite a few semi-synthetics available here actually also meet the specification.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Hi John,

I understand your delema, but just buy the Ford lube...install it and be done with it. I can't tell if the Premium Lube is synthetic either. As far as heat...try running Stock Mustangs for a 24 hour race. Want to talk about heat! Amsoil to the rescue? Oh spare me... Valvoline...probaby okay, but why spend a few nickles less and face the consequences...

Sort of funny back story.... We had a program to use a New Process Gear (Read Chrysler) Transfer case in F Series to make them AWD. NPG had a lube that differed from Ford. So Ford had to release a TSB to the dealers outlining the Lube needed and included a part number... Problem was it was off one digit and the mistake caused the dealer to order a rubber backed tape... Attention to detail is key here, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retried
I remember my old 1981 Bronco had an NP 208 transfer case and a NP cast iron 4 speed gear box that looked like it came out of a semi trailer. I put 500,000 Km on that combination and all I ever did was change the oil, never gave an ounce of trouble, even though it took in a bit of water on one Cape York river crossing, and got so hot on the Simpson desert crossing that the floor was too hot to put a bare foot on. Just changed the oil when I got back and no issue. Shame that they don't make stuff like that anymore. Quite a few 5G Rangers here have had the manual six speed box changed out multiple times under warranty due to bearing failure.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Based on my experience with my old Sport Trac where I changed the rear axle and t-case lubes every 30k, on the Ranger I will change it at 30k (done), 60k, 100k, then every 50k after that. On the Trac when I did the third change at 90k they both drained out clean as new. Most of the wear occurs early on.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Based on my experience with my old Sport Trac where I changed the rear axle and t-case lubes every 30k, on the Ranger I will change it at 30k (done), 60k, 100k, then every 50k after that. On the Trac when I did the third change at 90k they both drained out clean as new. Most of the wear occurs early on.
I like to follow the rules from Nissan. Every 30,000 change the Transfer Case oil along with the Transmission fluid (basic drain and fill) and Diff oils. It is crazy that Nissan recommends that every 30,000 but it helps keep the vehicle going

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
I'm at the point where I want to change my rear diff fluid, maybe the trasnfer case adn front too.

When placing the plugs back in do any of you apply any sealant or just thighten the same plaug down?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I'm at the point where I want to change my rear diff fluid, maybe the trasnfer case adn front too.

When placing the plugs back in do any of you apply any sealant or just thighten the same plaug down?
Some use nothing, some use Permatex Thread Sealant, some use teflon tape. I tend to the use nothing crowd. Torque should be low, around 25.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX