First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I have had two tires on two different trailers loose tread while doing 65 mph ... the second one was enough to start replacing them at 7 years. These were actually 8 years old and did have some dry rot.

My thought is ... putting my $35K trike on a trailer and dragging it 1200 miles ... I want to have decent tires.

I also just put new take offs with 300 miles on them on my 2 year old truck ... mostly because the inner band of tread was worn due to an out of alignment condition.

It might be wasteful, but, I don't take chances with tires. They are way cheaper than wrecking and running the risk of killing someone.

Last winter, a Jeep Liberty was in front of me on I70. We were both doing about 75 mph ... a section of his tread separated and he overreacted and ended up flipping his jeep twice. He was very fortunate, only minor injuries. I wasn't very far from hitting him before he left the road ... my only injury was a pair of underwear and a pair of jeans ... :blush:
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad they won't switch between several cams on a single display. Or a multi-cam display.
I know right? I'd prefer one large monitor with switches to 20 cameras ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My son got a rear view mirror that also has camera views built in. Hit touch mirror and camera comes on. One forward and one for the rear. He mounted camera inside looking out back window of his F150. Hi def too! I was looking it over in amazement. Problem for us is it deletes our mirrors and dim function but.... Got to think there is an aftermarket mirror that has same functionality and dimming that would be a plug and play for us.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My son got a rear view mirror that also has camera views built in. Hit touch mirror and camera comes on. One forward and one for the rear. He mounted camera inside looking out back window of his F150. Hi def too! I was looking it over in amazement. Problem for us is it deletes our mirrors and dim function but.... Got to think there is an aftermarket mirror that has same functionality and dimming that would be a plug and play for us.
Ford has mirrors with camera screens and auto dimming built in. I’m sure there is something someone could do to make a junkyard pull work with an aftermarket camera system.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The Camaro SS has another camera in the spoiler that feeds into the rearview mirror. I think it's still against the law to have a camera feed live while going over 35, but I don't know.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Camaro SS has another camera in the spoiler that feeds into the rearview mirror. I think it's still against the law to have a camera feed live while going over 35, but I don't know.
My camper does it at any speed, plus i've seen some other vehicles that have rearview mirrors that double as camera screens.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
So the consensus is- there is not way to toggle the rear view camera in any other gear positions aside from reverse in Forscan?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Reading through this thread again I’m now wondering if just adding 12V aux to rear view camera would be enough to get it activated whenever you want it. Seems the way it’s setup now for reverse would say it most likely gets triggered by backup lighting. So it would stand to reason if that’s true then just supply alternative power would do the same thing

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reading through this thread again I’m now wondering if just adding 12V aux to rear view camera would be enough to get it activated whenever you want it. Seems the way it’s setup now for reverse would say it most likely gets triggered by backup lighting. So it would stand to reason if that’s true then just supply alternative power would do the same thing
Just piggyback a momentary switch to in parallel to the reverse switch in the shifter mechanism. It should activate when that switch closes.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
where did you the "triggered by backup lighting" and where are schematics I might give it a go. might even be a switch on the shifter and that would make it easier

edit: little slow

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
where did you the "triggered by backup lighting" and where are schematics I might give it a go. might even be a switch on the shifter and that would make it easier

edit: little slow
Camera has to get power from somewhere right. Only thing back there with it that is in sync is backup lights on the tail lights. Same harness. Just reasoning it through. I highly doubt there is a separate feed just for the camera

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camera has to get power from somewhere right. Only thing back there with it that is in sync is backup lights on the tail lights. Same harness. Just reasoning it through. I highly doubt there is a separate feed just for the camera
Camera is powered all the time, the input change is triggered by the reverse switch almost guaranteed (because it comes on while doing 70 on the expressway if you put it in reverse).

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Camera is powered all the time, the input change is triggered by the reverse switch almost guaranteed (because it comes on while doing 70 on the expressway if you put it in reverse).

I don't have experience with Almighty Ford engineering. have you been in the shifter or seen it taken apart?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Do the back up lights come on at 70 MPH?

OP
OP
2020FRL

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Do the back up lights come on at 70 MPH?
Now that might come in handy for tailgaters ... ya know ... if you don't have a damper installed ... :blush:
Sponsored