Ranger vs F150

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
For over 30 years I have heard the same stupid argument about every Ranger I have owned.
That is...
" For about the same price you coulda bought an F150!"
My reply has often been " for about the same price, a Corvette buyer coulda bought a Bluebird Bus."

Even though the new Ranger is now too large for compact truck buyers and apparently too small for F150 buyers, I still heard that same comment yesterday.
The fact that the Ranger is too tall to be practical and too long to fit in the average garage has apparently not mitigated the notion that size determines value and so no truck is big enough.

The Ranger is now what a full sized truck should be, and fullsized trucks are now just ridiculous behemoths, yet the idea that "no truck is big enough" still persists... will it ever end?

Fullsized truck buyers just don't get the point, I kept my old Ranger for 18 years for one primary reason... No new Ranger!
I am saddened by the fact that the Ranger wheel base is too long and only a 4X4 stance is available, but I made the compromise.... No More!
I bought Rangers over the years because of the combination of practical size and solid capabilities.
I like my new Ranger in spite of the fact that it is a bit bloated, but I would not buy a larger truck, no matter the badge on the fender.
For me...Twice the size at half the price would be a NO SALE!
I traded a 2014 f150 for my new Ranger. Resale was fantastic on the f150. It was always to big for me, could never just pull into a parking spot. I did like the ride better on the f150 and the brakes were better but I love my new Ranger looks good and is just the right size. Worked for Ford for over 30 years and would buy nothing else. I get many compliments on the Ranger.
Sponsored

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
For over 30 years I have heard the same stupid argument about every Ranger I have owned.
That is...
" For about the same price you coulda bought an F150!"
My reply has often been " for about the same price, a Corvette buyer coulda bought a Bluebird Bus."

Even though the new Ranger is now too large for compact truck buyers and apparently too small for F150 buyers, I still heard that same comment yesterday.
The fact that the Ranger is too tall to be practical and too long to fit in the average garage has apparently not mitigated the notion that size determines value and so no truck is big enough.

The Ranger is now what a full sized truck should be, and fullsized trucks are now just ridiculous behemoths, yet the idea that "no truck is big enough" still persists... will it ever end?

Fullsized truck buyers just don't get the point, I kept my old Ranger for 18 years for one primary reason... No new Ranger!
I am saddened by the fact that the Ranger wheel base is too long and only a 4X4 stance is available, but I made the compromise.... No More!
I bought Rangers over the years because of the combination of practical size and solid capabilities.
I like my new Ranger in spite of the fact that it is a bit bloated, but I would not buy a larger truck, no matter the badge on the fender.
For me...Twice the size at half the price would be a NO SALE!
FYI, I've read that Ford is going to be the first American company to reintroduce a compact pickup to the US market. Brilliant! I hope they do!

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I loved this F150, my last truck, but did not love the 15 mpg, I am all done with big construction projects, so my new Ranger is just about the right size for a fishing truck.

But I DO resent that I could not get the cooled seats that my son got in his 2019 Explorer.

P7180361-1.jpg

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I traded a 2017 crew cab F-150 for my 2019 crew cab Ranger. Both were packaged about the same as my F-150 was an STX with every option and my Ranger is an XLT Sport with nearly every option. I'm already used to the SYNC 3 system as that's what my F-150 had. No power seats (don't need them), no heated mirrors (unneeded where I live) and no remote start/push-button start system (unwanted). My F-150 was 4X2, my Ranger is 4X4 and it's nice to have that feature back as it was a mistake getting my F-150 without it in the first place. I miss my gigantic center console (F-150 had the captain's chairs) and my column-mounted shifter, but the rest is all good. My F-150 was $39,000 new, my Ranger was $34,000 new. The best part? The Ranger fits easily in the garage where my two-wheel drive F-150 did not!

jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
What really sold me on the Ranger was the size. I was coming from a Subaru WRX Sedan and wanted something a little better suited for New England winters.

My father bought a used 2015 F150 Super Crew V8 5.5' Bed on 35" Tires to replace the 2003 Ford Excursion. The thing is badass and I love it. But I drove it daily for a couple weeks and knew I needed something way smaller. Sure for the purchase price of $37k I could have bought lots of other trucks. But the toyotas were $40K and a F150 XLT Sport was pushing $42k.

Sure if I was going to tow the Mustang around I would use the F150. But running all around town, using it as a daily driver the Ranger would be of choice. (My father also enjoys cruising and road-tripping the ranger.)

IMG_3674.jpg

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
After climbing aboard the Ranger this morning, I headed out to do a couple of errands.
I have almost learned to tolerate not being able to reach the ground to get out of the truck without and extreme stretch and a stress of the bolster on the seat.
The real aggravation came later though, I went to a drive-up ATM. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to perform a transaction from inside this truck, I simply could not reach down far enough to insert my card.
I had to drive forward, climb down from the truck, operate the ATM, then climb back up.
This truck is just too d@^^ned tall to be practical.

I don't know if anyone makes a practical, reliable, and reasonably priced lowering kit?
I have seen the running boards, and will likely check to see if they are safe as steps.
I am 6ft tall and reasonably flexible, and fortunately do not suffer from acrophobia:clap:, so I do still have limited use of the truck until a viable solution can be found.

NashMan

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1982 Corvette, 2007 F-150, 2004 Explorer, 1990 Bronco, 1980 Bronco, 1973 Trans Am, 1969 Mustang FB
Occupation
Retired LE
Vehicle Showcase
I owned the same F-150 for 13 years, priced a new F-150 Lariat and it stickered at over $62K. Didn't need the big truck anymore and wanted better than 11 MPG. (I know the new ones do better) Ranger Lariat, got it under $40K two weeks ago.

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
FYI, I've read that Ford is going to be the first American company to reintroduce a compact pickup to the US market. Brilliant! I hope they do!
More like the Ranchero

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
After climbing aboard the Ranger this morning, I headed out to do a couple of errands.
I have almost learned to tolerate not being able to reach the ground to get out of the truck without and extreme stretch and a stress of the bolster on the seat.
The real aggravation came later though, I went to a drive-up ATM. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to perform a transaction from inside this truck, I simply could not reach down far enough to insert my card.
I had to drive forward, climb down from the truck, operate the ATM, then climb back up.
This truck is just too d@^^ned tall to be practical.

I don't know if anyone makes a practical, reliable, and reasonably priced lowering kit?
I have seen the running boards, and will likely check to see if they are safe as steps.
I am 6ft tall and reasonably flexible, and fortunately do not suffer from acrophobia:clap:, so I do still have limited use of the truck until a viable solution can be found.
Dear Floyd: Yes, the factory running boards (not to mention aftermarket options) are perfectly safe and comfortable for entering and leaving the truck. I am six foot three, and my wife is four foot eleven, and so I got the stock runners at purchase for her to climb up on. Of course, they come in pairs, and so I have them on my side, too. Even though I don't need them, I have lately been stepping on it first in getting in, as it enables me to plunk down more evenly on the seat. The runners work for both of us, and I would recommend that you give them a try before considering the drastic solution of lowering! Happy Trails!

IMG_3012.JPG

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a Ranger, but it had one feature I have come to depend on. Memory seats. The wife is five foot nothing and after she drives my ST it's hard to get the seat right again. Her Escape has them. Get in, press a button, and adjust the rearview mirror. Done.

Ford had $7500 on the hood of leftover '18 F150's back in May and I found a basic 500A Lariat with trailer tow, navigation and Sync Connect, and before TTL it was a hair over $37k. Sticker was around $51k. I don't have the LED lighting and the driver aids, but the Ranger doesn't have memory cooled seats. I don't count all the driving aids anyway, because when I drive her Escape I turn them off. They drive me nuts.

So, while you may not be able to get an F-150 with some of the Ranger features for the same price, there are some features you can't get on a Ranger that you can on an F150.
This is a Ranger Forum so you’re convincing no one.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
. . . a modern ranchero!
My reading was that they will use the Courier name. I was holding out for one, but family pressure put me in a Ranger now. I'm still interested to see what it does. No major complaints about my new Ranger, except that its size is just more than I need or wanted. As for the F150 BS, just tell the it's a F100. Let them figure it out.
Sponsored