Ranger Q2 2020 Sales Grabs Firm Hold of 2nd Place in Midsize Segment

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
waah waah waah, look at that woman wearing white after labor day!

if it has an open bed it's a pickup truck. your made-up fashion rules don't matter.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Q2 2020 sales stats are in and the Ranger racked up 25,008 units sold in the US. This represents an increase of 19.2% over Q1 sales and a 19.8% increase from Q2 2019 sales.

For the first time ever, this makes the Ranger the 2nd best selling midsize pickup in the US, as it leaps over the Colorado!

Here's how the Ranger fared against the competition:

MODELQ2 2020 Sales UnitsQ2 2019 Sales Units% Change (from Q1 2019)Current % Market ShareYTD Sales Units
Tacoma51,06363,683-19.9%41%104,699
Ranger25,00820,880+ 19.8%20%45,988
Colorado19,84331,669- 37.3%15.9%41,273
Gladiator19,5687,129+ 174%15.7%34,827
Frontier8,79419,101- 54%7%19,074
Not to be a pessimist but if you add the Canyon's total sales to the Colorado's the figure will probably surpass the Ranger's.
However, the Ranger has taken a sizeable chunk from Toyota and Chevrolet sales, it appears.
Surprising that the Jeep's sales are as such, given its price point and that fact that it is a FCA product. Brand loyalty appears to be a key factor here.
The Frontier, while a rugged and utilitarian workhorse is stuck in the last century. Besides that, Renault owns Nissan, need I say more?
Understandable that the Toyota is 'ichiban', it is the best selling vehicle here in Hawaii, surpassing the 4Runner, Corolla and Camry. The reason for this truly evades me.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Not to be a pessimist but if you add the Canyon's total sales to the Colorado's the figure will probably surpass the Ranger's.
However, the Ranger has taken a sizeable chunk from Toyota and Chevrolet sales, it appears.
Surprising that the Jeep's sales are as such, given its price point and that fact that it is a FCA product. Brand loyalty appears to be a key factor here.
The Frontier, while a rugged and utilitarian workhorse is stuck in the last century. Besides that, Renault owns Nissan, need I say more?
Understandable that the Toyota is 'ichiban', it is the best selling vehicle here in Hawaii, surpassing the 4Runner, Corolla and Camry. The reason for this truly evades me.
2020 GMC Canyon sales 5,226 for Q2; 9,708 YTD.
Total "Coloranyons": Q2 25,069; YTD 50981- Gettin' there!

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
2020 GMC Canyon sales 5,226 for Q2; 9,708 YTD.
Total "Coloranyons": Q2 25,069; YTD 50981- Gettin' there!
Also, it's important to remember that Ford was completely out of the mid-size market until a year ago. Being mostly neck-and-neck with the "Coloranyons" after one year isn't bad. I'll be pretty surprised if the Ranger doesn't pull ahead soon. Even as recently as this morning, a year after buying it, I still get people noticing it and asking me about it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm losing track here with this is a truck vs. not a truck talk. Are these cars or trucks? Inquiring minds want to know . ?

cartruck1.jpg

cartruck2.jpg

Note, the last one has a spare in the bed but it has a sliding rear window. So now I'm totally confused. ;)
The Oldsmobile Silhouette-based thing is a truck, because the dog chewed off the rear corner, and it has a contrasting but operable tailgate; probably without a damper. The blue one is a car because it has 4-bolt wheels, Toyota Corolla taillights and the owner or builder sealed the rear so it does not open (?). The spare, also a 4-bolt, is secured with playground swing chain like a car instead of 3/8" 100 grade, or better yet, razor wire.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Oldsmobile Silhouette-based thing is a truck, because the dog chewed off the rear corner, and it has a contrasting but operable tailgate; probably without a damper. The blue one is a car because it has 4-bolt wheels, Toyota Corolla taillights and the owner or builder sealed the rear so it does not open (?). The spare, also a 4-bolt, is secured with playground swing chain like a car instead of 3/8" 100 grade, or better yet, razor wire.
The blue abomination is a "re-purposed" Honda Civic, '89 ish and looks as though it was a 4 door, those are the original tailights, not from a Toyota or anything else

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The term "truck "used to be simply defined as a vehicle whose primary purpose is to carry cargo in a containment, open or enclosed, and separated from the operator by a bulkhead.

The definition got twisted, because the definition of "passenger vehicle" states that a PV is a vehicle designed to carry up to ten people (more than ten is a "bus") which may or may not be built on a truck frame. This definition got lobbied, schmoozed, twisted folded spindled and mutilated by the industry lobbyists so that today, a freakin' EcoSport or Escape is a "truck" for EPA purposes, and is subject to less restrictive emissions and economy standards than those imposed on "automobiles." States have their own definitions used for licensing purposes.
Over on the Escape forum some posters like to refer to their Escapes as trucks. :facepalm:
Subaru imported the BRAT, or "Bi-drive Recreational All-terrain Transporter" which were "automobiles" because, although they has the bulkhead, they had seating for four passengers (two in the front, two in the box, er uh, open seating area). and by Subies declaration was built on an automobile platform. Thus, they were able to avoid the imported truck tariff.
In Wisconsin, and I think other states as well, El Caminos, Rancheros, Scamps, Rampages, Brats were/are registered both ways.
Quiz time: car, or truck? both factory built on a Falcon chassis;
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg

1963 FORD ECONOLINE _____________ 1963 FORD RANCHERO
There are vintage Chevrolet sales videos on YouTube in which Chevy tried their best to discredit the Econoline and to tout their Corvair based vans and "trucks", they are very entertaining.
What is not mentioned is that the Falcon was clobbering the Corvair in sales, so the Chevy guys introduced their version of the Falcon with the Chevy II. Ditto for the conventional drive Chevy van based pickup truck, which had a flat load floor. Not so for the Corvair version, of course Chevy never mentioned that tidbit in their propaganda.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
There are vintage Chevrolet sales videos on YouTube in which Chevy tried their best to discredit the Econoline and to tout their Corvair based vans and "trucks", they are very entertaining.
What is not mentioned is that the Falcon was clobbering the Corvair in sales, so the Chevy guys introduced their version of the Falcon with the Chevy II. Ditto for the conventional drive Chevy van based pickup truck, which had a flat load floor. Not so for the Corvair version, of course Chevy never mentioned that tidbit in their propaganda.
I remember one of the Greenbriar's big selling points was the side drop down ramp. Helps take your mind off of the weight of the air-cooled engine underneath the load floor and behind the rear axle. I wonder, did they rate the tongue weight in ounces?
Chevrolet-95-Corvair-Rampside-red-welding.jpg

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I remember one of the Greenbriar's big selling points was the side drop down ramp. Helps take your mind off of the weight of the air-cooled engine underneath the load floor and behind the rear axle. I wonder, did they rate the tongue weight in ounces?
Chevrolet-95-Corvair-Rampside-red-welding.jpg
Ounces you say? I love your sarcasm!
I would hope that the payload on these things was at least 1/2 ton, that, coupled with the boxer 6 in the rear must have made for some very light steering!
My younger brother owned a beater '66 Econoline pickup with a 240 6cyl/3 speed manual gearbox in the late seventies/early eighties. He had just started his landscaping business and would routinely overload the poor truck, the venerable 240, of course, never whimpered. That engine was much too stout than it needed to be, it's on my list of the top 5 automotive engines ever produced.

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2018 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retired
I owned 2 frontiers in the last 5 years. Pretty good truck but the 2013 silver one had the CPU crap out (in warranty) and the next one which I bought new had the rear axle go at about 10K miles. Look good, get crappy mileage, poor brakes, harsh ride and stuff breaks. Since the Ranger isn't that much more in price it will, could and should eat the Frontier's lunch. I will be surprised if we see it in existence 4 years from now.
Sponsored