Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I just wanted to share this today.
I just got home through a horrible storm that made the roads treacherous. Left work early and the roads were already total slop. Cars spun out, in the ditch, multiple accidents, you get the idea. It was thundersnowing. People were simply driving too fast. So I got the truck warm, put it in D, and off I went. Took it easy down the highway about 15 miles and turned off onto the main road leading me home. There is a hill on this road that goes down and up again in both directions. It seemed as though everyone was having trouble getting up this hill, getting stuck and stalling out. So I locked up the rear diff and took off, driving straight up this hill, getting sideways a little here and there, but made it right up, passing everyone along the way. It was awesome. I've never had a rear locking diff on any vehicle and that feature definitely got me up that hill and home safely. And my Ranger is only a 2wd. I'm so glad I got the FX2 package. I would not have made it in my old Ranger. My truck felt safe and sure-footed, confident and secure all the way home. I thought I loved that truck as much as you could love an object but I have a whole new level of appreciation and happiness for my Ranger. It got me home in treacherous conditions, no problem, without a scratch or even a moment of worry. And climbing that hill like a madman, with all the power our trucks have, gettin sideways, put a huge ass smile on my face.
2022 Scab Xl, STX FX2.
WOW. Really cool.
Bonus: my dog was super excited to see me get home so early.
Thanks for reading.
Blue Dream for the win today.
20240216_124613.jpg
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I just got home through a horrible storm that made the roads treacherous. Left work early and the roads were already total slop. Cars spun out, in the ditch, multiple accidents, you get the idea. It was thundersnowing. People were simply driving too fast. So I got the truck warm, put it in D, and off I went. Took it easy down the highway about 15 miles and turned off onto the main road leading me home. There is a hill on this road that goes down and up again in both directions. It seemed as though everyone was having trouble getting up this hill, getting stuck and stalling out. So I locked up the rear diff and took off, driving straight up this hill, getting sideways a little here and there, but made it right up, passing everyone along the way. It was awesome. I've never had a rear locking diff on any vehicle and that feature definitely got me up that hill and home safely. And my Ranger is only a 2wd. I'm so glad I got the FX2 package. I would not have made it in my old Ranger. My truck felt safe and sure-footed, confident and secure all the way home. I thought I loved that truck as much as you could love an object but I have a whole new level of appreciation and happiness for my Ranger. It got me home in treacherous conditions, no problem, without a scratch or even a moment of worry. And climbing that hill like a madman, with all the power our trucks have, gettin sideways, put a huge ass smile on my face.
2022 Scab Xl, STX FX2.
WOW. Really cool.
Thanks for reading.
20240216_124613.jpg
I heard the thunder as well. Haven't been in thundersnow in years.

OP
OP
scarchild35

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Were you hearing traction control at all?
I read or heard somewhere in the past to turn it off in a situation such as that. So I turned it ALL off. I think a lot of people may not know that if you hold down the traction control button for a few seconds that it disengages traction control AND stabili-trac. It seemed like the truck had more giddy up with it turned off. I did turn everything back on once I got to the top and unlocked the diff. But for the rest of my trip, traction control and stabili-trac or whatever it's called, I noticed it is very restrictive and works extremely hard to keep things under control. In those conditions my truck felt a bit sluggish but that was fine with me as I was concerned with just making it home without getting in an accident. Accelerating, especially while turning, with traction control in those conditions, my truck was definitely making all kinds of weird sounds, probably mostly the ABS trying to minimize wheel spin and keep me in line. It seems like if you do a lot of offroading or aggressive driving that all that restriction could wear out the brakes quicker than normal. But up the hill I turned it all off and it just felt like a really fast truck with more traction than you'd expect, though it was squirrely, but it was FUN.
I never offroad, or very rarely and lightly, and honestly got the FX2 package mostly for the looks, lol, but also thinking I might need the locker if I'm trying to get home in a snowstorm sometime and it definitely did not disappoint in that department today. I would highly recommend that feature to anyone getting a new Ranger, at least if you're not getting 4x4. Even if you just need it every now and then in winter conditions, it is WELL worth it.

OP
OP
scarchild35

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Sounds more like you just know how to drive in snowy weather.
Well, I'm a St. Louis native. 50 years and counting. We don't get a lot of winter weather here but we do have a lot of shitty drivers or at least it seems that way. People just drive too damned fast for the conditions. If everyone slowed down and gave a bit of space, more people would get to where they're going without an "incident". I just want to make it home to my family and also, importantly, not bend up my pretty little blue truck.
I'm all for those acceleration blasts in dry conditions when no one else is around but when it gets shitty I just wish everyone would take it easy.
Having said that, I'm not sure I'd have made it up that hill without a locker, at least in my truck anyway. It was slick! There were indeed guys with four wheel drive cruising right up fairly easily but unfortunately 4x4 wasn't in my budget this time around. I HAD to have a new Ranger but had to make some sacrifices to make it happen. I envy the guys and gals with four wheel drive and especially the Tremors (those are awesome) but I'm just happy to be part of the club. These trucks are killer in any configuration.
Maybe next time I can get a Raptor ;) haha
Be safe guys and have fun!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Locking diff plus the FX2 comes with all-terrain tires so that's a good combination for a 2wd.
Lockers and limited-slips are better but can be tricky so you have to know how to drive them to keep the rear end in line.
For winter I put three 60 lb sandbags in the bed and built a frame out of cheap 2x4's to hold them over the axle.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
People just drive too damned fast for the conditions. If everyone slowed down and gave a bit of space, more people would get to where they're going without an "incident".
We get that plus the opposite sometimes around here. People being way too cautious, and going way slower than necessary. For instance, you start up a slippery incline with just enough spleed and momentum, and some yuts is going so slow you lose that momentum and almost don't make it. (that was in a front wheel drive)

OP
OP
scarchild35

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
We get that plus the opposite sometimes around here. People being way too cautious, and going way slower than necessary. For instance, you start up a slippery incline with just enough spleed and momentum, and some yuts is going so slow you lose that momentum and almost don't make it. (that was in a front wheel drive)
Yes, very true. I see that a lot too and it does cause it's own set of problems.

OP
OP
scarchild35

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Locking diff plus the FX2 comes with all-terrain tires so that's a good combination for a 2wd.
Lockers and limited-slips are better but can be tricky so you have to know how to drive them to keep the rear end in line.
For winter I put three 60 lb sandbags in the bed and built a frame out of cheap 2x4's to hold them over the axle.
Yes. I think it's a good package and was relatively inexpensive compared to the total cost of the truck. And for me today, I had no weight in the bed. I'm sure some weight would have definitely helped.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Yes. I think it's a good package and was relatively inexpensive compared to the total cost of the truck. And for me today, I had no weight in the bed. I'm sure some weight would have definitely helped.
I was prepared to go that route if a 4x4 turned out to be out of my budget. You're right, the FX2 package doesn't cost much more than the locking diff itself.
Luckily the dealer had a slightly used 4x4 with only 5000 miles that was exactly what I wanted. Winters here aren't usually real severe, we got 3" last night which is the most we've had this year, problem is there are a lot of hills.

Buckbull

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Architect
Well, I'm a St. Louis native. 50 years and counting. We don't get a lot of winter weather here but we do have a lot of shitty drivers or at least it seems that way. People just drive too damned fast for the conditions. If everyone slowed down and gave a bit of space, more people would get to where they're going without an "incident". I just want to make it home to my family and also, importantly, not bend up my pretty little blue truck.
I'm all for those acceleration blasts in dry conditions when no one else is around but when it gets shitty I just wish everyone would take it easy.
Having said that, I'm not sure I'd have made it up that hill without a locker, at least in my truck anyway. It was slick! There were indeed guys with four wheel drive cruising right up fairly easily but unfortunately 4x4 wasn't in my budget this time around. I HAD to have a new Ranger but had to make some sacrifices to make it happen. I envy the guys and gals with four wheel drive and especially the Tremors (those are awesome) but I'm just happy to be part of the club. These trucks are killer in any configuration.
Maybe next time I can get a Raptor ;) haha
Be safe guys and have fun!
You're old enough to probably remember the thunder snow blizzard we had in 1982. I was only 9 at the time but will never forget that storm. I'm in the metro east, we had about 6 inches here yesterday.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2022 Scab Xl, STX FX2.
WOW. Really cool.
Thanks for reading.
20240216_124613.jpg
Sounds like Northern Utah. Strider has gotten me home like this so I can appreciate your relief.

thomas46alamo

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I used my truck for the first time in snow last week for a 60 mile commute home and was very pleased with the performance. I ran 4H normal on the highways and then ran the 4H snow/sand/gravel on the mountain and was equally impressed. Def could tell the difference in power distribution and gearing when put in the snow option.

IMG_0515.jpeg
Sponsored