OP

gkendrick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
It's on my list. I have Sirius radio and it fades in and out at random, the FM is fair with a shorty antenna. Looking into a sirius ant to mount on camper and plug in when camper is mounted or a booster of some kind.
I'm going to try and find an FM antenna or booster that mounts on the camper and can be wired into the truck radio. We installed a shorty as a replacement for the stock antenna, but it was no better. In remote areas in AZ and NM we had better cell signal on our phones than FM reception on the truck radio.
Sponsored

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buel, Moto Guzzi, Z3, '19 Ranger xlt super cab blue
Occupation
Retired
I'm going to try and find an FM antenna or booster that mounts on the camper and can be wired into the truck radio. We installed a shorty as a replacement for the stock antenna, but it was no better. In remote areas in AZ and NM we had better cell signal on our phones than FM reception on the truck radio.
Post what you find and I'll do the same. I have to cool my jets till I fit new tires.

OP
OP

gkendrick

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Post what you find and I'll do the same. I have to cool my jets till I fit new tires.
We put on a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W E-rated tires in a 265/70/17 size. They have been fabulous. Incredibly tough off-road, and very quiet on the highway.

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We put on a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W E-rated tires in a 265/70/17 size. They have been fabulous. Incredibly tough off-road, and very quiet on the highway.
That's the size for our truck, easy fit for stock wheels, no rubbing tough side wall and a little taller. I was thinking the Coopers but I my check price on these.

IowaXL

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Truck driver
Great thread about truck campers. I just bought an SS500 from palomino that's being delivered today. I can't see going over 1400lbs fully geared up and the truck is rated to haul 1840#'s.
I did add Timbrens in lieu of the factory leaf spring stops. From what I saw, that should reduce or eliminate any sway and sagging. I was going to go with airbags, but as a truck driver, I know that eventually they will fail (and not when mt).
I will say this about the factory stops. They are NOT bolted to the frame. The bracket is, but the rubber spring is pressed into it and can be pulled out by hand (found that out when removing them, frankly am glad they're gone). The Timbren is bolted to the frame through the spring, it can't go anywhere. Plus they're rated for 5000#'s and are bigger so they'll engage the spring sooner, yet still ride above it when MT.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Great thread about truck campers. I just bought an SS500 from palomino that's being delivered today. I can't see going over 1400lbs fully geared up and the truck is rated to haul 1840#'s.
I did add Timbrens in lieu of the factory leaf spring stops. From what I saw, that should reduce or eliminate any sway and sagging. I was going to go with airbags, but as a truck driver, I know that eventually they will fail (and not when mt).
I will say this about the factory stops. They are NOT bolted to the frame. The bracket is, but the rubber spring is pressed into it and can be pulled out by hand (found that out when removing them, frankly am glad they're gone). The Timbren is bolted to the frame through the spring, it can't go anywhere. Plus they're rated for 5000#'s and are bigger so they'll engage the spring sooner, yet still ride above it when MT.
Based on what I've seen in regard to how much the Ranger sags under load... those bumpstops will never ever be needed. @dreamst8, a member here, put a pallet full of sod in his Ranger, which weighed over 2,000 lbs and that's what it took to "level" the truck. Yowza.

My question is how do you know the frame can support being actively loaded by the Timbren in the area of the bumpstop? A bumpstop is a momentary thing... not a supplemental support.

The frames on these Rangers is not very robust.... nothing like the one's were before hydroforming. They are pretty flimsy, IMHO.

Haulin Sod.png

Rich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Not saying I'm old, but when I started driving for money we had rubber blocks, no springs, friction drivers seat, cab over pulling doubles at 55' max length Chi_Det
I like the air bags, they work with the springs and are adjustable. I'm at 6100+ lbs and you will notice the roll, the sway bar has made a big improvement. The P(metric) tires will serve till you get some use out of them. E rated tires will give the side wall support and long wear caring max weight. I carry a 3 ton hyd jack and stand combo to replace the stock ford jack. Good Luck, enjoy

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The frames on these Rangers is not very robust.... nothing like the one's were before hydroforming. They are pretty flimsy, IMHO.
I'm curious why you think that? It is a fully boxed frame with several fully welded cross supports. If anything, it seems to be TOO rigid - at least if you want flex for off roading - I've seen lots of videos where the frame stays very straight rather than flexing when under stress. The Tacos frames have a LOT more give to them.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm curious why you think that? It is a fully boxed frame with several fully welded cross supports. If anything, it seems to be TOO rigid - at least if you want flex for off roading - I've seen lots of videos where the frame stays very straight rather than flexing when under stress. The Tacos frames have a LOT more give to them.
I installed rock sliders on my Ranger. The through bolts smashed the frame like a pop can.... well... not really... but I had to stop tightening the nuts before they were really tight. You can see the bent backing plates in the photo below. These were hand tightened with a 3/8" ratchet.

14B.JPG

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I installed rock sliders on my Ranger. The through bolts smashed the frame like a pop can.... well... not really... but I had to stop tightening the nuts before they were really tight. You can see the bent backing plates in the photo below. These were hand tightened with a 3/8" ratchet.

14B.JPG
From that angle it looks like that backing plate is over a depression/hole in the frame - did the side of the frame bend or just that backing plate?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
From that angle it looks like that backing plate is over a depression/hole in the frame - did the side of the frame bend or just that backing plate?
Not every backing plate had a large hole. During fit-up and assembly of the rock slider to the truck frame you could watch the side wall of the frame deforming as the nut was tightened. Of course I stopped before it was excessive, but it demonstrates just how light gauge the steel is that these frames are made from.

The frame is designed for specific loads in specific areas, and if required reinforced in the areas that will be carrying such loads.

So the point is, are the frames of significant strength to carry a continuous load in the area where the timbren is installed?

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
my thinking on the no camper thing is that these trucks are tall and narrow (which Is one thing I like about them - better looking to me) so a camper would make them very top heavy and after the whole roll over explorer thing back in the 80s --- ford is not going to step in that again.
Sponsored