First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Consulting
This is a full pallet (450 sq ft) of fresh Bermuda Sod.... our Ranger hauled this and 2 people with ease!! Estimated weight was 2k lbs, which was a little over the rated payload capacity, but it took it in stride and you can see, barely even sat low..only about 4" lower than normal! Impressive!
1586658203482.png
Sponsored

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
at first i thought this was going to be a picture of the mother in law in the back of the truck...

around where I live, the MOT, who generally patrol transport type trucks, will also look for the weekend gardeners travelling the highways and monitor their loads for proper weight, proper tie downs and what not.
A load like this would get you towed off the highway. with several charges.
Ouch! You can get by with most anything here.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is a full pallet (450 sq ft) of fresh Bermuda Sod.... our Ranger hauled this and 2 people with ease!! Estimated weight was 2k lbs, which was a little over the rated payload capacity, but it took it in stride and you can see, barely even sat low..only about 4" lower than normal! Impressive!
1586658203482.png
Hi Mark,

ArrrrrrrrrrrG! That means a lawnmower is in the future.... I love that here in Green Valley, the sound of a lawnmower is never heard...! :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Estimated weight was 2k lbs, which was a little over the rated payload capacity, but it took it in stride....
Was watching a Patriot Campers YouTube video last night. They had a nearly stock suspension (3" lift/leveling spacers and that's it) Ranger that they had outfitted with their tray and a few other goodies for overlanding.

He was discussing the payload capacity of the stock ranger and noted that the same truck in Australia has a higher weight rating than in the US. He didn't understand why, but it does speak to the fact that your load capacity is somewhat of an arbitrary number. Sure it is based on springs and components and stuff, but there are people that interpret that data and use it in steering their guidelines. It is entirely possible that Lawyers have set the limit at where it is at in the US, just like Lawyers crafted the "Food Pyramid" we all grew up with that is now understood to be total bunk and garbage and responsible for most of the diabetes in the US today.

So it would not surprise me that the Ranger probably has capacities and capabilities well beyond published limits. However... None of us are true suspension engineers with the tools and tech that Ford has when building a truck so while we may understand it CAN do more, we don't have a reliable way of knowing how much more and where that limit truly is. I wouldn't advocate going much past published limits. Being wrong can have lethal and legal consequences so I follow the numbers.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Was watching a Patriot Campers YouTube video last night. They had a nearly stock suspension (3" lift/leveling spacers and that's it) Ranger that they had outfitted with their tray and a few other goodies for overlanding.

He was discussing the payload capacity of the stock ranger and noted that the same truck in Australia has a higher weight rating than in the US. He didn't understand why, but it does speak to the fact that your load capacity is somewhat of an arbitrary number. Sure it is based on springs and components and stuff, but there are people that interpret that data and use it in steering their guidelines. It is entirely possible that Lawyers have set the limit at where it is at in the US, just like Lawyers crafted the "Food Pyramid" we all grew up with that is now understood to be total bunk and garbage and responsible for most of the diabetes in the US today.

So it would not surprise me that the Ranger probably has capacities and capabilities well beyond published limits. However... None of us are true suspension engineers with the tools and tech that Ford has when building a truck so while we may understand it CAN do more, we don't have a reliable way of knowing how much more and where that limit truly is. I wouldn't advocate going much past published limits. Being wrong can have lethal and legal consequences so I follow the numbers.
Hi Greg,

You are correct that the truck has a factor of safety for loading etc and it is not the lawyers that define the load caring capacity, it is the Ranger program engineers and Management that determines these values. For example...the program has an objective to be the best in class for payload...concurred by Marketing....The design engineers and development engineers then use those parameters to design and test the truck... We in engineering tried to keep the corporate lawyers at arm's length...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
dreamst8

dreamst8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consulting
at first i thought this was going to be a picture of the mother in law in the back of the truck...

around where I live, the MOT, who generally patrol transport type trucks, will also look for the weekend gardeners travelling the highways and monitor their loads for proper weight, proper tie downs and what not.
A load like this would get you towed off the highway. with several charges.
Your patrols are quite pathetic then. This wasn't tied down yet, I wasn't about to lose any of my precious cargo .. and for a patrol to know my weight limits would be a bit precarious,, esp within 200lbs +/-, they could frankly be asked to kiss my A** on the event of an infractional occurrence...I'd also be leaving a country that has such controlling policing, and move to a place of freedom...

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Your patrols are quite pathetic then. This wasn't tied down yet, I wasn't about to lose any of my precious cargo .. and for a patrol to know my weight limits would be a bit precarious,, esp within 200lbs +/-, they could frankly be asked to kiss my A** on the event of an infractional occurrence...I'd also be leaving a country that has such controlling policing, and move to a place of freedom...
I can't imagine you'd get pulled over anywhere for that load. Truck is level, tires don't look like they are about to blow out.

Thanks for posting the photo.. Let's call this "The dreamst8 Ford Ranger Leveling Kit". Looks good!

Did they have a scale there? If not... it may have even been more than 2,000 lbs.. How much does a sod pallet weigh?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamst8

dreamst8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consulting
I can't imagine you'd get pulled over anywhere for that load. Truck is level, tires don't look like they are about to blow out.

Thanks for posting the photo.. Let's call this "The dreamst8 Ford Ranger Leveling Kit". Looks good!

Did they have a scale there? If not... it may have even been more than 2,000 lbs.. How much does a sod pallet weigh?
Exactly...No scales, and a pallet of sod can vary dramatically, depending on cut thickness, moisture content, grass type etc, plus the truck, fuel, passengers etc...

James Martincic

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt, 2005 Saleen mustang, 2019 ram 2500
I agree that the truck does not look over loaded.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
He was discussing the payload capacity of the stock ranger and noted that the same truck in Australia has a higher weight rating than in the US. He didn't understand why,
Because there are different standards. Why are there differences? Well, for example, the highest mountain in Australia is 7,310ft... Anyway, the difference is pretty minimal: a whopping 210lb, which is pretty close since they use different engines and frames (and AFAIK Australia doesn't have anything like SAE J2807 so manufacturers there can claim whatever they want for towing capacity).

OP
OP
dreamst8

dreamst8

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Consulting
they carry weigh scales and can read your sticker on the door, its not rocket science nor guess work.
overloaded vehicles are a prime cause of accidents. they know this, and take appropriate action.

and dont get all Freeman on the land on us. suggesting I move to where I'm more free. you sound utterly stupid.
Now now...your comments started this....I am not stupid, so keep it nice here...and this is just a thread to brag the Ranger can handle a decent load with relative ease.

Guess being a new Ford owner, and to this forum, that I have apparently not been properly indoctrinated....

Hope to not be disappointed by being here with a bunch of commentators that are not productive to the thread and are keyboard warriors....

I'll hang around awhile and see....

Deleted member 1634

dont get me wrong, i've overloaded many a pickup truck in my time...and because Ive been busted once for doing so, I know it can happen to some unlucky few.
A $1500 fine for driving a 3/4 ton pickup with 6 drums of fuel in the back and what the DOT cop felt was inadequate strapping to hold them down.
I think that's kind of what it comes down to as well. Something like this they don't necessarily need hard facts and data to give you a ticket. Same as "driving too fast for the conditions". It's the officer's opinion. You may only be going 45 in a 55, but if they think that's too fast/aggressive for the snow covered roads you're driving on, whether you think you can handle it or not, then you may be getting something for it.

Deleted member 1634

Because there are different standards. Why are there differences? Well, for example, the highest mountain in Australia is 7,310ft... Anyway, the difference is pretty minimal: a whopping 210lb, which is pretty close since they use different engines and frames (and AFAIK Australia doesn't have anything like SAE J2807 so manufacturers there can claim whatever they want for towing capacity).
As someone who works with different countries regulatory entities, I can say that you basically hit it on the head. Even the same exact vehicle can have different limits in different countries. Let alone one that shares a majority of parts like the North American vs Global Rangers. In the aviation industry for us, the FAA is one of the stricter bodies, but the EU always makes us limit even more beyond that because they have different regulations. While other places like Brazil, China, and Australia accept the FAA certification outright because it is the same or more strict than their own regulations.

Deleted member 1634

Speak for yourself. It is my job to figure out things like that on a daily basis. Not necessarily for Ford specifically, but the tools, math, and material allowables are all the same and readily available. Now, with all that chest pounding out of the way (haha), I will agree that it's not our place to know what the ACTUAL limit of the vehicle is. That's how people get in trouble. The reason there are safety factors and padding in the limits is because people disregard them, do whatever they want, and/or get into situations the vehicle wasn't designed for. And the truck still has to do its best to keep them safe regardless.
Sponsored