John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Apart from the obvious snafu of 15K not 1.5K and the funny replies, it sounded a bit like my Ranger issue. Mine was more like a thud and surge around 2k with the tach jumping 2 or 3 hundred constantly. When i took it in nothing comes up on the diagnosis machines so mechanics then have no idea what it can be. When they did finally come up with torque converter, that sounded about right and there are lots of reports of Ranger torque converters going bad. But I did worry that changing the torque converter and transmission as a package was overkill and they'd missed something simple. When I asked if they had drained the transmisson fluid to see if there was metal in it, they looked at me like I was from Mars. I don't know if they hadnt thought of that or they didnt want to go through the expense when they wernt sure.They'd already told me it was a couple of relays and changed those charged me nearly $300 and said it was "fixed" But so when they did drain the fluid sure enough there was a substantial amount of metal paste in the transmission filter.
Assuming your truck is already outside of the warranty?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My son had the same issue with a F150 throwing a EGR code. Dealer said it was the fuel tank module and charged him like $275 to replace it. Told him it wasn’t worth the hassle for us to do fix in a driveway. Was fine for about 6 months and threw the code again. Seems the EGR engine module was the problem child. Replaced that ourselves and has been fine ever since. That was over a year ago. Just wondering if yours is possibly the same problem. That it is not throwing a code is what has me scratching my head.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Apart from the obvious snafu of 15K not 1.5K and the funny replies, it sounded a bit like my Ranger issue. Mine was more like a thud and surge around 2k with the tach jumping 2 or 3 hundred constantly. When i took it in nothing comes up on the diagnosis machines so mechanics then have no idea what it can be. When they did finally come up with torque converter, that sounded about right and there are lots of reports of Ranger torque converters going bad. But I did worry that changing the torque converter and transmission as a package was overkill and they'd missed something simple. When I asked if they had drained the transmisson fluid to see if there was metal in it, they looked at me like I was from Mars. I don't know if they hadnt thought of that or they didnt want to go through the expense when they wernt sure.They'd already told me it was a couple of relays and changed those charged me nearly $300 and said it was "fixed" But so when they did drain the fluid sure enough there was a substantial amount of metal paste in the transmission filter.
Your Ranger is a 2012 in Australia, right?

It has a completely different engine a d transmission from the OPs.

OP
OP

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
Your Ranger is a 2012 in Australia, right?

It has a completely different engine a d transmission from the OPs.
No, I am in Georgia usa

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Dont admit fault. Revving it that high would cause issues.
If the 2300 cc motor could ever achieve 15,000 revolutions per minute, it surely would cause catastrophic "issues"...lol

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
No, I am in Georgia usa
The question was posed to @RangerRoger

That's why I quoted him. When I said OP in that question I was referring to you, the Original Poster.

His problem and/or solution is not applicable to you as he has an entirely different truck.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My ranger was in the shop for 2 months and not fixed yet. Started out slightly bucking over a period of time but got worse. Was scared to drive. Took it on where they ran all sorts of diagnostics. Tech personally told me he had no idea what was causing the problem. Continued with diagnostics finally calling out of town techs to get involved. Went into motor checking for any problems. No success. I was told it was the torque converter. Ordered torque converter where arrival date was changed 3 times. Service manager cancelled order. Ordered new transmission because he could get it with the torque converter. Put it in, no change. At this point, main tech from out of town comes in and spends 6 hours trying to find problem. Says it's a sensor so the sensor is changed. Seem to get better before it got worse. I was told the computer in the trucks needs to get familiar with the new transmission. Funny, when I bought the truck, the computer and the transmission were already married. Was told there was a 500 mile break in period. I will play the game til 500 miles. I got a case manager involved from Ford motor company. Also talking to LEMON lawyers. I'm going to push for a truck replacement.
My Frod Danger exploded after it revved close to 15k rpm all by itself - consider yourself lucky. Frod won't do a dang thing about it so I finally hired an attorney. 3 years later, my Danger is still sitting in my front yard while I continue making monthly payments. My attorney's phone number: 1-800-OI812.

13-boss-hogg-hazzard.jpeg

b1e084da-b398-4b15-9b70-6768bd6be41d.jpeg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
My ranger was in the shop for 2 months and not fixed yet. Started out slightly bucking over a period of time but got worse. Was scared to drive. Took it on where they ran all sorts of diagnostics. Tech personally told me he had no idea what was causing the problem. Continued with diagnostics finally calling out of town techs to get involved. Went into motor checking for any problems. No success. I was told it was the torque converter. Ordered torque converter where arrival date was changed 3 times. Service manager cancelled order. Ordered new transmission because he could get it with the torque converter. Put it in, no change. At this point, main tech from out of town comes in and spends 6 hours trying to find problem. Says it's a sensor so the sensor is changed. Seem to get better before it got worse. I was told the computer in the trucks needs to get familiar with the new transmission. Funny, when I bought the truck, the computer and the transmission were already married. Was told there was a 500 mile break in period. I will play the game til 500 miles. I got a case manager involved from Ford motor company. Also talking to LEMON lawyers. I'm going to push for a truck replacement.
No talk of a faulty fuel injector or bad coil?
Any difference in Sport mode?

Sorry about you dealer experience, seems that’s pretty common.
Good luck.

OP
OP

Singer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Retired
No talk of a faulty fuel injector or bad coil?
Any difference in Sport mode?

Sorry about you dealer experience, seems that’s pretty common.
Good luck.
No difference

RangerRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
The question was posed to @RangerRoger

That's why I quoted him. When I said OP in that question I was referring to you, the Original Poster.

His problem and/or solution is not applicable to you as he has an entirely different truck.

Sorry, I think I'll just shut up from here in on this thread, it's already confusing enough as it is. ??
Sponsored