Slight Shuddering at 1500 RPM

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Mine does this as well... I believe it is related to the driveshaft mis-splining that has been discussed.
I have had a very minor, but noticeable "audible" rotational vibration that I can feel and hear, since basically new. One dealer balanced tires, which of course didn't fix it. The other day while doing an oil change I just got under and started man handling the drive shaft. I can hear a "clink,clink,clink" if I grab the rear driveshaft and work it up and down (towards the bed and ground, up/down). There's just enough play that I felt like it was the rear most U-joint. After further investigation I am pretty certain it's the slip yoke on the rear shaft just behind the support bearing. I need an assistant to get under with me to be 100% sure, but either way I would be shocked if the noise/play is not my problem. I will eventually remove the rear shaft and drive in 4wd to see if it eliminates my problem. Due to time constraints, it may be a few weeks before I actually do.....
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had a very minor, but noticeable "audible" rotational vibration that I can feel and hear, since basically new. One dealer balanced tires, which of course didn't fix it. The other day while doing an oil change I just got under and started man handling the drive shaft. I can hear a "clink,clink,clink" if I grab the rear driveshaft and work it up and down (towards the bed and ground, up/down). There's just enough play that I felt like it was the rear most U-joint. After further investigation I am pretty certain it's the slip yoke on the rear shaft just behind the support bearing. I need an assistant to get under with me to be 100% sure, but either way I would be shocked if the noise/play is not my problem. I will eventually remove the rear shaft and drive in 4wd to see if it eliminates my problem. Due to time constraints, it may be a few weeks before I actually do.....
Hi 2.7EB,

You might want to lube the splines of the slip yoke. Do not understand a clinking noise...weird.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Hi 2.7EB,

You might want to lube the splines of the slip yoke. Do not understand a clinking noise...weird.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I will try to get a video with audio, but it may be a few weeks away. Summer is in full swing!! Had a 1990 Ranger with a severely worn slip yoke. It would vibrate crazy bad when you were driving at highway speeds and let off the gas. It was only when you were in that "not under load" that it would vibrate. A local machine shop replaced the spline on the driveshaft. It had a blue plastic coating that was apparently worn due to lack of grease. Amazes me Ford is having the "clunk when stopping and pulling out" that is associated with a slip yoke needing lubed. This was a TSB on many Ford trucks 15-20 years ago for this. I guess it is true when they "history repeats itself"!! ??

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will try to get a video with audio, but it may be a few weeks away. Summer is in full swing!! Had a 1990 Ranger with a severely worn slip yoke. It would vibrate crazy bad when you were driving at highway speeds and let off the gas. It was only when you were in that "not under load" that it would vibrate. A local machine shop replaced the spline on the driveshaft. It had a blue plastic coating that was apparently worn due to lack of grease. Amazes me Ford is having the "clunk when stopping and pulling out" that is associated with a slip yoke needing lubed. This was a TSB on many Ford trucks 15-20 years ago for this. I guess it is true when they "history repeats itself"!! ??
Hi 2.7EB

That blue stuff was called Glide Coat.... Jury is out if it was a helpful product or not....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored