Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, all. I have recently purchased a 2019 Ranger and found this forum. You all are shockingly knowledgeable and informative about the truck so I thought I would join in on the forum. For the first post I wanted to pick your brains about a strange noise. I recently bought the Livernois Motors tuner and installed it. Great power, very impressive. However, the next day (I'm not sure if it's related to the tune) there is a strange squaking noise when flooring the gas right before a shift around 5000 rpm. The noise only occurs when flooring the car, if I slowly rev up to those rpms there is no sound. It sounds almost like corrugated plastic pipes rubbing together but I am pretty sure it's from the transmission based on the symptoms. Before anyone mentions taking it to the dealer: I did. They will not warranty it because of the tune on the car and said they could try figuring it out but at typical shop rates $$.

Any insight, help, info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to the forum!

Link to video of issue vvvvv

Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, all. I have recently purchased a 2019 Ranger and found this forum. You all are shockingly knowledgeable and informative about the truck so I thought I would join in on the forum. For the first post I wanted to pick your brains about a strange noise. I recently bought the Livernois Motors tuner and installed it. Great power, very impressive. However, the next day (I'm not sure if it's related to the tune) there is a strange squaking noise when flooring the gas right before a shift around 5000 rpm. The noise only occurs when flooring the car, if I slowly rev up to those rpms there is no sound. It sounds almost like corrugated plastic pipes rubbing together but I am pretty sure it's from the transmission based on the symptoms. Before anyone mentions taking it to the dealer: I did. They will not warranty it because of the tune on the car and said they could try figuring it out but at typical shop rates $$.

Any insight, help, info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to the forum!

Link to video of issue vvvvv

Hi Bo,

Okay...you are generating a first order engine vibration of 83 hz, but your noise is more like the second order shaking force of the 4 Cylinder engine or about 166 Hz. Firing frenquency of the engine is also 2nd order, so you have two excitation sources. This is the realm of an exhaust shield on the vehicle exhaust. Just an educated guess. The sound is muddied by my cheap speakers and my hearing damage after all the years of screaming Indy Car engines.

It is not something of which you should be concerned wrt any vehicle damage.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
BoC

BoC

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Bo,

Okay...you are generating a first order engine vibration of 83 hz, but your noise is more like the second order shaking force of the 4 Cylinder engine or about 166 Hz. Firing frenquency of the engine is also 2nd order, so you have two excitation sources. This is the realm of an exhaust shield on the vehicle exhaust. Just an educated guess. The sound is muddied by my cheap speakers and my hearing damage after all the years of screaming Indy Car engines.

It is not something of which you should be concerned wrt any vehicle damage.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired

Thank you for your reply! I will lift the truck to check everything around the exhaust. There isn't anything that would suggest any damage or a result of damage. The sound has not worsened over time and doesn't even happen every time, just most of the time. I will update after I try looking around the exhaust shields.

I did just find a YouTube video with a similar problem that hasn't seemingly found a resolution. At about 1:18 you hear a similar sound.

OP
OP
BoC

BoC

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
Don't have a BOV and the sound in person is very harsh and grinding like...not like anything I'd expect from a BOV if I had one.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your reply! I will lift the truck to check everything around the exhaust. There isn't anything that would suggest any damage or a result of damage. The sound has not worsened over time and doesn't even happen every time, just most of the time. I will update after I try looking around the exhaust shields.

I did just find a YouTube video with a similar problem that hasn't seemingly found a resolution. At about 1:18 you hear a similar sound.

Hi Bo,

These sort of noises can be very challenging to find...Good Luck! I am going on the statement it sounds like the transmission...BOV mentioned might be a factor, but not in the correct directional area you suggest...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Don't have a BOV and the sound in person is very harsh and grinding like...not like anything I'd expect from a BOV if I had one.
Yes your Ranger does have a BOV. All of our 2019+ Rangers do. You should really ask the tuner about this if it started after installing the tune.
Sponsored