Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does this as well... I believe it is related to the driveshaft mis-splining that has been discussed.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Wish I had read these threads before my purchase..I have new 2020 Lariat FX4 one month old 700 miles has exact shudder problem! I took it in for that plus it doesn't seem to shift right when I slow down then go to speed up. Of course the service manager said (NO CONCERNS FOUND) he said the slight shudder could be the type of tires (Hankook) and they didn't find any issues with shifting. I'm old school and don't know about all the computer stuff he said they reset somethings and that it remembers my driving patterns? WTH. Also because it's a ten speed and turbo it takes getting used to. I hate the shudder and could almost live with it but the hesitation drives me nuts like it's going to stall. I think I'll take to another dealership to look at then see if I can return this thing!! I didn't spend $46k to deal with this. Any suggestions on returning it?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I sometimes have a shudder when going slow and the transmission is in fifth gear. I feel like it needs to downshift, but it doesn't do it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wish I had read these threads before my purchase..I have new 2020 Lariat FX4 one month old 700 miles has exact shudder problem! I took it in for that plus it doesn't seem to shift right when I slow down then go to speed up. Of course the service manager said (NO CONCERNS FOUND) he said the slight shudder could be the type of tires (Hankook) and they didn't find any issues with shifting. I'm old school and don't know about all the computer stuff he said they reset somethings and that it remembers my driving patterns? WTH. Also because it's a ten speed and turbo it takes getting used to. I hate the shudder and could almost live with it but the hesitation drives me nuts like it's going to stall. I think I'll take to another dealership to look at then see if I can return this thing!! I didn't spend $46k to deal with this. Any suggestions on returning it?
Hi Rush,

Need a bit more info. Having shudder is likely not harmful but we need more exact info on when this occurs and for how long. The driveshaft center bearing two piece driveshaft start up shudder occurs from sitting still until you reach a a relative low speed and does not recur. until you start up from a dead stop. Other shudders can be the cold start injector/trans issue contained in a TSB, even outside of the TSB build stop of 2/2019. Is it only upon cold start. I have diagnosed thousand of complaints in my 30 years at Ford and most times there needs to be many more questions answered. Best to find another dealer and do a mind dump on the service tech. More info provided, the better to help diagnose and repair. I hate dealers that say it is normal... They are just blowing you off.

Call Ford Customer Service and log a formal complaint. This allows a dealer to bill against the complaint and may actually get to you establishing a conduit to a field service engineer.

If you are so discussed...maybe invoke the lemon laws in your state. At this juncture, you are unlikely to make this work, but it may be your best bet to implement this process.

Good luck with your problem diagnosis. These Forums are full of helpful folks and maybe someone else can offer up a solution.

The 5G Ranger is a great offering and continues the brand of Built Ford Tough. My 2019 has undergone my microscope for errors and I have found some but no biggies.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Hi Rush,

Need a bit more info. Having shudder is likely not harmful but we need more exact info on when this occurs and for how long. The driveshaft center bearing two piece driveshaft start up shudder occurs from sitting still until you reach a a relative low speed and does not recur. until you start up from a dead stop. Other shudders can be the cold start injector/trans issue contained in a TSB, even outside of the TSB build stop of 2/2019. Is it only upon cold start. I have diagnosed thousand of complaints in my 30 years at Ford and most times there needs to be many more questions answered. Best to find another dealer and do a mind dump on the service tech. More info provided, the better to help diagnose and repair. I hate dealers that say it is normal... They are just blowing you off.

Call Ford Customer Service and log a formal complaint. This allows a dealer to bill against the complaint and may actually get to you establishing a conduit to a field service engineer.

If you are so discussed...maybe invoke the lemon laws in your state. At this juncture, you are unlikely to make this work, but it may be your best bet to implement this process.

Good luck with your problem diagnosis. These Forums are full of helpful folks and maybe someone else can offer up a solution.

The 5G Ranger is a great offering and continues the brand of Built Ford Tough. My 2019 has undergone my microscope for errors and I have found some but no biggies.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for your response. Yes it only seems to do it when at a dead stop going up to about 20mph . I'll pay closer attention to RPMs now also.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
"the hesitation drives me nuts like it's going to stall "

you either have a problem, or it's your driving style.

I personally dont have any hesitation, and especially none that would be characterized as a stall. the only time i feel it fell asleep on me is if i'm rolling up to a red light and it turns green before i stop.
either I've lost all my boost, or the transmission is still figuring what gear it should use.

Turbo lag is supposed to be minimal on these because it;s a tiny turbo, but perhaps your fix is an aftermarket BOV. it'll help keep your boost up higher longer and should mitigate the hesitation you feel under your driving style.
Thanks , I only drove it briefly when I got it back yesterday and I didn't notice it. Almost seems like they tweaked something because it's responsive. I'm going to monitor it and my driving habits better. The shudder on take off is still there but will address that later. Thankls

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Thanks Phil, somehow I've missed that part of the reason to call them. I try not to just jump on dealers since warranty payouts appear to be an issue. One which seems to be industry-wide.

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi Rush,

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gunny8531

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Thank you for the answers to this troubling question. I too sought an answer from my dealer having had my 2020 Lariat FX4 looked at twice for a total of two weeks with no answer. I believe you answered it. It does feel like the center bearing. I've had 4WD before and never experienced this. Is this of any concern?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Thanks for your response. Yes it only seems to do it when at a dead stop going up to about 20mph . I'll pay closer attention to RPMs now also.
Vibration on take off. So I took it to the dealership that I bought it from. They had it for two days and just txt that they put it on ( noise vibration aimless machine) and not able to find anything. They plan to drive another one tomorrow to see if it drives the same way. I'm sure they will say it's the way the drive now.
Which is not good enough. Can you tell me if this driveshaft phasing will get worse over time? I would think so. I've had truck now just at two months and 700 miles so doubt I can't use lemon law to give back. Thanks Dave

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Vibration on take off. So I took it to the dealership that I bought it from. They had it for two days and just txt that they put it on ( noise vibration aimless machine) and not able to find anything. They plan to drive another one tomorrow to see if it drives the same way. I'm sure they will say it's the way the drive now.
Which is not good enough. Can you tell me if this driveshaft phasing will get worse over time? I would think so. I've had truck now just at two months and 700 miles so doubt I can't use lemon law to give back. Thanks Dave
Hi Rush,

This thread was originally about a 1500 rpm vibration...not start up shudder as you are experiencing . Start up shudder is usually associated with two piece drivelines.

Driveshaft phasing is a physical condition, so cannot get worse over time unless you have a U joint going South. It is still a mystery why the driveshafts are misindexed by about 1 spline....there has to be a reason but I have no idea what. That said. Your condition is referred as start up shudder. It can be driveline related to lifting your vehicle over stock, different tires/wheels etc. Is your vehicle bone stock? Really cannot go much further. Sorry you have this annoyance but engineering assessment escapes me without much more data on your truck. From your profile all I know is it is a 2020 Ranger. BTW....did you set your tire pressures on the stock tires? Dealers are famous for neglecting to set pressures to door sticker pressures.

Want to help but you have to come to the table with much more data.

So if a stock truck...take it to another dealer. If you modded it...different story....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Hi Rush,

This thread was originally about a 1500 rpm vibration...not start up shudder as you are experiencing . Start up shudder is usually associated with two piece drivelines.

Driveshaft phasing is a physical condition, so cannot get worse over time unless you have a U joint going South. It is still a mystery why the driveshafts are misindexed by about 1 spline....there has to be a reason but I have no idea what. That said. Your condition is referred as start up shudder. It can be driveline related to lifting your vehicle over stock, different tires/wheels etc. Is your vehicle bone stock? Really cannot go much further. Sorry you have this annoyance but engineering assessment escapes me without much more data on your truck. From your profile all I know is it is a 2020 Ranger. BTW....did you set your tire pressures on the stock tires? Dealers are famous for neglecting to set pressures to door sticker pressures.

Want to help but you have to come to the table with much more data.

So if a stock truck...take it to another dealer. If you modded it...different story....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Its stock FX4 lariat. I called it a shudder because of previous post I thought same issue but maybe not. So when I accelerate from a stop after a few seconds It vibrates briefly like its shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is 2nd dealership to look at it.Tires all at 33psi. .Thanks again

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Its stock FX4 lariat. I called it a shudder because of previous post I thought same issue but maybe not. So when I accelerate from a stop after a few seconds It vibrates briefly like its shifting from 2nd to 3rd. This is 2nd dealership to look at it.Tires all at 33psi. .Thanks again
Update so I called the customer service to file a complaint as suggested and see if they could help. The rep seemed great understood why a new truck should not have this issue he said since my truck was still at dealership for me to do nothing and wait for his call he was going to reach out to dealership find out what could be done we had a great conversation 45 min. Later that night dealership said I need to pickup my truck . Unable to get rep to return calls I picked up truck in the morning only to find a small scratch on side and entire truck was covered with as they called it possible road sand? Also on interior. They had to clay bar and buff the whole truck because it wouldn't come off. Not sure how it looks yet. Anyway just to let others know after trying to reach Ford rep for two days emails/calls he finally called me said that he had not reached out to dealership yet but nothing he could really do as he has to go by what the dealership tech tell him. To sum it up FORD customer service is horrible.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I've had the same problem with most of the vehicles I've bought in the last few years. I think the manufacturers are trying to program upshifts too soon in an attempt to increase MPGs.
Sponsored