Ranger Based Tribute to First Gen. Lightning

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
It's not a dumb idea at all. You're describing my "build," more or less.

Supercab XL/STX
Rear seat delete
Electronic locking differential
Ford Performanced dual side exit exhaust

I have no interest in lifting or lowering, though. I'm considering buying the Ford Performance chase bar. Not to put lights on it, just for the look it gives. It's darn expensive, though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

The F150 Lightening was preceded by the Ford 150 NIte. It was an after hours development of a black out package. I did the suspension. Here is a picture of me with the first ever Nite F150 in 1990.

F150 Nite_1.jpg

This was done at night....hence the black out theme was at nite.... Note the days we engineers had pocket protectors on our mandatory white shirts. Ties were a PITA as well.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
TexasBBQ

TexasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew
Hi Folks,

The F150 Lightening was preceded by the Ford 150 NIte. It was an after hours development of a black out package. I did the suspension. Here is a picture of me with the first ever Nite F150 in 1990.

F150 Nite_1.jpg

This was done at night....hence the black out theme was at nite.... Note the days we engineers had pocket protectors on our mandatory white shirts. Ties were a PITA as well.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mr. Schilke,

Were the chassis/suspension modifications as extreme on the Nite as the Lightning?

It looks like substantial handling improvement in the current Ranger will need more radical work than I want to get into right now.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Tex,
This is an adjustable (approximate )4 by 6 inch drop, however I put the front close to stock and brought the rear to level. so far, so good. 35” from the ground to the top of the wheel Wells....Congrats on your new purchase..
Regards
Doc

4AF58B92-C969-401E-85D0-9601A6D63809.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TexasBBQ

TexasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew
Hi Tex,
This is an adjustable (approximate )4 by 6 inch drop, however I put the front close to stock and brought the rear to level. so far, so good. 35” from the ground to the top of the wheel Wells....Congrats on your new purchase..
Regards
Doc

How does it drive?

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Hi Tex,
Regards
Doc

Dang Doc that is a really nice super cab. Really Sharp :like:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Dang Doc that is a really nice super cab. Really Sharp :like:
Thanks, a lot of time consuming waiting for Parts, 3 link with king Coilovers , tons of welding and a frustrated suspension shop put on hold time to time as the supplier had some Serious COVID 19 problems with his son and his employees. Blessings to them for doing what they could..
Regards
Doc

OP
OP
TexasBBQ

TexasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew
It’s a corner carver, same suspension as the above SEMA truck. I have the shocks (King Adjustable's ) set up for Drag Racing...I love it !
Regards
Doc
That seems to be the the way. What rubber?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mr. Schilke,

Were the chassis/suspension modifications as extreme on the Nite as the Lightning?

It looks like substantial handling improvement in the current Ranger will need more radical work than I want to get into right now.
HI TexasBBQ,

The Nite was the platform for the Lightening as Nite was one of these "go fast" creations. Strike when the Iron is hot, so to speak. So I had to resort to Shock Calibrations and off the shelf components that would fit as well as things like sway bars where a small change in diameter could be contained with existing tooling. The nite sparked the Lightening program, which was well funded to develop the next level.

Fun Back Story, Ford Light Truck Engineering had an in house, only Ford Management evaluation of the Lightening proposal to develop the horsepower (read $) to get program approval, This was done at the Ford handling track in Dearborn (RIP Handling Track). The brass in attendance were to drive the Nite and Stock F150s around the track, and then to hop into a Nite with me behind the wheel. Helmets required!
These folks were in for a ride like they had not had before...All this orchestrated by my chief engineer. He knew that most of them would get out of the Nite rubber kneed, having never experienced such a wild ride...(I was told to keep it cool, not hang it out)....lap times were recorded for each ride. Then I took a prototype Lighening out for some hot laps. The lap times were so much faster. The Lighten program as sold at this point. So from that point, I stepped back to let the program deliver the Lightning to to the customer. I was head of Chassis CAE at the time and only participated in the Lightning development from time to time... I always kept my helmet in my office, just in case... Great times...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Douggr308

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Occupation
maintenance
My wife and picked up our new Supercrew SXT earlier this week and we both love it. It is in many ways the throwback truck that I have been searching for.

I am struck by the the similarities between our Ranger and the first generation Lightnings. Looking at the various performance options available, it seems most of the elements are available to do a factory looking "What if?" build.

I know the 4wd adventure truck thing is selling right now and this is contrary to the flow... I am wrong?

Back seat delete on a 4x2 Supercab with limited slip. I like the STX front end treatment and both the seats and aluminum 17's are "right". Drop 2" front and back. Tires, tune and maybe exhaust.

Input is welcome. Helpful suggestions are great. Telling me it's a dumb idea is fine too.
Good little truck. I deleted muffler, oil catch can, hi flow air intake, tune.
Belltech we are still waiting.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

F150 Nite_1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
A pocket protector and a racing helmet in hand seems to sum up your career Phil!

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
HI TexasBBQ,

The Nite was the platform for the Lightening as Nite was one of these "go fast" creations. Strike when the Iron is hot, so to speak. So I had to resort to Shock Calibrations and off the shelf components that would fit as well as things like sway bars where a small change in diameter could be contained with existing tooling. The nite sparked the Lightening program, which was well funded to develop the next level.

Fun Back Story, Ford Light Truck Engineering had an in house, only Ford Management evaluation of the Lightening proposal to develop the horsepower (read $) to get program approval, This was done at the Ford handling track in Dearborn (RIP Handling Track). The brass in attendance were to drive the Nite and Stock F150s around the track, and then to hop into a Nite with me behind the wheel. Helmets required!
These folks were in for a ride like they had not had before...All this orchestrated by my chief engineer. He knew that most of them would get out of the Nite rubber kneed, having never experienced such a wild ride...(I was told to keep it cool, not hang it out)....lap times were recorded for each ride. Then I took a prototype Lighening out for some hot laps. The lap times were so much faster. The Lighten program as sold at this point. So from that point, I stepped back to let the program deliver the Lightning to to the customer. I was head of Chassis CAE at the time and only participated in the Lightning development from time to time... I always kept my helmet in my office, just in case... Great times...

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Very cool! Thanks for sharing your stories. Always a good read. I hope Ford brings back the a Lightning type truck in the future. The Raptor is cool but I've always loved the muscle trucks
Sponsored