Questions after a test drive.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Hi All, so I took a test drive today and while the sales guy answered most of my questions to the best he could, I thought some questions would be better answered by people who own or lease. I do love the truck so far, higher up and faster than I thought. Ive done some searching online and on here but haven't had any luck, maybe I'm just blind:
  1. The XL SXT i had came with some lane keeping system, it vibrates when you began to drift within or out of your lane, does it also steer you back into your lane? My mother's escape has this, its super nice.
  2. Does the gas pedal not have that much travel? I kept adjusting my seating position and I always felt i was at half throttle or more.
  3. Is the engine pretty loud upon light-medium acceleration? I kept hearing it come from the right side of the engine bay.
  4. Is their a lumbar lever on the cloth seats? I couldnt find it. In my focus its on the right side of the drivers seat.
Oh yeah, and I pretty much fell out of the truck when I brought it back to the dealership, not used to having running bars or that big of a step. Thats gonna take some getting used to.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hi All, so I took a test drive today and while the sales guy answered most of my questions to the best he could, I thought some questions would be better answered by people who own or lease. I do love the truck so far, higher up and faster than I thought. Ive done some searching online and on here but haven't had any luck, maybe I'm just blind:
  1. The XL SXT i had came with some lane keeping system, it vibrates when you began to drift within or out of your lane, does it also steer you back into your lane? My mother's escape has this, its super nice.
  2. Does the gas pedal not have that much travel? I kept adjusting my seating position and I always felt i was at half throttle or more.
  3. Is the engine pretty loud upon light-medium acceleration? I kept hearing it come from the right side of the engine bay.
  4. Is their a lumbar lever on the cloth seats? I couldnt find it. In my focus its on the right side of the drivers seat.
Oh yeah, and I pretty much fell out of the truck when I brought it back to the dealership, not used to having running bars or that big of a step. Thats gonna take some getting used to.
I'll try to answer what I can.

1. Yes it can depend if it set to warn or warn and assist. Can be set with the upper left switches on the steering and display in the dash.

2. Haven't noticed, every vehicle I've ever driven has had a different feel to the accelerator.

3. Two possibilities here. You could be hearing the turbo spool up or maybe the enhanced engine noise. Some of the actual engine noise can be dampened by adding the engine cover that only comes on the Lariat trim. The enhanced engine noise can be turned off with Forscan. A really neat program thar lets you make many tweaks to your Ranger.

4. This depends on trim level and packages. My XLT FX4 302a has full power cloth seats with power lumbar both sides. The lumbar is a round toggle switch between the lower seat controls and recline lever. Outside next to door. I'm not familiar with what is on the XL levels.

Hope this helps

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I can't speak the the STX package but the lane keeping assist on the XLT will vibrate the steering wheel. Will it help you go back into the lane? I dont think so bit then again I dont use it.

The gas pedal has travel but you have to take time to get used to it. Afer a tune mine felt more responsive.

The engine noise is going to be normal as the truck is a Direct injected 4 cylinder with a turbocharger. The exhaust is all on the right side of the truck including the exit.

The lumbar support is a circular knob of sorts on the die of the seat. I myself have it maxed out but to each thier own on settings.

Hope this helps.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The drive by wire throttle response is terrible on these trucks. If you aren't comfortable with getting a tuner, then at minimum set aside a little cash for a pedal commander or iDrive unit. Its a simple plug and play that fixes the anemic throttle body signal sent by your gas pedal. The only danger is to your wallet as your gas mileage will go down a little because its responding like it should, not an economy four banger.

I wish I would have bought my tuner from day one. Now having it done its apparent how much Ford retards this engine and its responding components in the name of meeting gas mileage requirements and being able to advertise competitively in fuel consumption.

OP
OP
Trustable

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Thank you everyone! Most of my experience with vehicles long term has my focus, which has a lot of road noise, but not a lot of engine noise. Now that I think about it, it may have been because I was mashing the pedal because of the more upright seating position which im not used to. Another thing I would like to add is BLIS is really nice to have and the visibility out of the truck is great, that part surprised me the most.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thank you everyone! Most of my experience with vehicles long term has my focus, which has a lot of road noise, but not a lot of engine noise. Now that I think about it, it may have been because I was mashing the pedal because of the more upright seating position which im not used to. Another thing I would like to add is BLIS is really nice to have and the visibility out of the truck is great, that part surprised me the most.
If you want to get blis then it is in your best i treat to get a truck that has it. Why you ask? Simple it will cost you more in parts then the package price itself.

Lucky2013

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 STX Special Edition,
Occupation
Aircraft Master Mechanic
I bought 2 weeks ago a 2021 Ranger SXT with the special edition package, looking rear diff, towing package. Great little truck. So far around 500 miles on the truck, half of it with a 4400 lbs horse trailer and the other half normal use. MPG is so far 17 average. We drive easy.

Out of my experience the lane keeping thing is very anoing. We have several Fords at work ( F250 and F450 ) and the best setting is: OFF ! All of our drivers at work agreed with that. Keep your eyes on the road and not on the phone... the special edition package gives you the big screen... no need to look at your phone

The gas pedal has a short travel way, just push it like a raw egg and you are good, watch the mpg and you will learn

See comment before, engine noise is related to how much you push the throttle !

The round dial wheel on the left side of the drivers seat is for the lumbar on the SXT cloth seats.

I drive a lot ! All kind of different vehicles every day in my job. From the normal pick up we use to haul RV trailers up to big rig tow trucks. The Ranger is a great little mighty truck !

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I had the lane keep assist on my "former" Hyundai Santa fe and hated it.
There was one instance that made me turn it off. I was driving down a secondary road and saw a pothole about 2 feet from the curb...perfect location to trash a wheel. I went to the right to have my right wheels go between the pothole and the curb. It was either that or drive over the centerline into oncoming traffic.
Lane keep assist saw the curb and started pulling the wheels back into the pothole. I had to fight it with both hands and nearly hit the curb because of it.

Let me drive my own vehicle please. I do use the vibration setting though. It's very subtle and doesn't disturb my passengers like others vehicle and their annoying chimes.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
As one or two have stated, the loud noise you may be hearing from the engine is the cooling fan when the truck is warming up. It makes a roaring sound as you accelerate. However, once the engine comes up to operating temps the roaring noise goes away. When taking a test drive, the vehicle rarely has a chance to warm up unless the sales person is taking the time to explain interior features while the engine is running.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think it is becoming apparent that this is the cement mixer power takeoff mode. Factory options can get piped in V8 sound or Benny and the Jets! ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
i think other people bitch about Fords system because they dont understand it.
theres multiple levels and warnings and theres an easy on off switch.

you still have to drive the truck, but the features are there for a what if scenario.
what if you were distracted, what if you fell asleep etc.
its meant for nothing more than that.

adjust it to your preference, and if the road conditions or something arent jivving well, you flick the switch and go on your merry way.
I had that lane keep assist on when I 1st got the truck on a long road trip with a largely deserted highway, to amuse myself (not very difficult) I kept steering the truck towards the white lines to see how many transgressions it took to trigger the stop for a rest or coffee or whatever message it sends, finally my wife intervened and said she needed to drive, I think those steering wheel vibrations and side to side movements triggered some sort of subliminal response, albeit short lived.
Sponsored