Finally got to test drive a Ranger

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I went in Saturday specifically asking for the XL. The Ranger I tested was crew cab 4x4.
I managed a total of 50 miles.

The very first thing that jumped out at me was the view of the road. Coming from an F150 for two years and then hoping into a Ranger is a different experience. In a good way. Definitely not as much interior space, but much narrower and I think better front end visibility. When making turns to my right in the city streets I quickly found out where my right front tire was. The Ranger for not being the proportion of the Ranger of old is much more manageable than my F150 driving on city and narrower streets.

The seats to me were plenty comfortable enough. I could see myself driving long distance and it not being a problem.

TheRanger felt sturdy and composed. I still couldn’t believe how much smaller it drove than my F150. But yet was still body on frame and had good towing and payload capacity.

The engine. What about the engine? I’m coming from a 2.7 ecoboost so it wasn’t mind blowing, but it is a solid and smooth power train for this application. It got me up to speed quickly and has enough power. Personally I would only run 91 in it if I trade in.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed the ride. I could see myself keeping it long term. But now, curiosity has got the better of me and I’m considering test driving a tremor to see if there’s a ride quality difference.

ANYWAY, just out of curiosity, the Chevy dealer is right next door. I test drove an LT crew cab 4x2 Silverado with their 2.7 turbo, after spending a couple of hours at the Ford dealer. My time with the Silverado wasn’t as long but I can see why people love that engine.

I don’t know if it’s torque management or what, but the turbo 2.7 seemed to get up to speed to 30 to 45 MPH quicker than my 2.7 ecoboost. Their 2.7 is very responsive and the torque seems to come on stronger lower in the rpms. Not sure if there on paper or just the seat of the pants feel, but that’s what it seemed like.

I only drove around the city and punched it quite a bit after stop lights. Definitely an impressive engine. If they put that thing in the Colorado like has been rumored it’s going to rip and feel even more responsive than the Silverado that I test drive did.

That’s that, and what I took from the Ranger drive. Loved it, but I’m going back to test drive the Tremor lol. Leave no stone unturned.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good feedback and it's nice that you could drive both the Ranger and the Chevy back to back to get the feel for them both. I've always had F150's but about 6 years ago I sold my business and had no use for a full size truck anymore. Plus the F150 is just way to big now and the Ranger is the perfect size especially for what I do now.

We did a long trip last year leaving AZ and going up to UT then back down to LV and finally home. Its as around 1,300 miles and I was very comfortable throughout the whole trip. I hear some complain about the seats but for me I think they're great. Now the leather is just ok and nothing special that's why I didn't order it in my Bronco as I feel it's not worth the money.

It'll be interesting to see how you like the Tremor as it's really just some different suspension and larger tires. Some hate the Fx4 and say it's to bouncy but again coming form F150's where every one had the Fx4 I think they drive great. Good luck with you next test drive!

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Good feedback and it's nice that you could drive both the Ranger and the Chevy back to back to get the feel for them both. I've always had F150's but about 6 years ago I sold my business and had no use for a full size truck anymore. Plus the F150 is just way to big now and the Ranger is the perfect size especially for what I do now.

We did a long trip last year leaving AZ and going up to UT then back down to LV and finally home. Its as around 1,300 miles and I was very comfortable throughout the whole trip. I hear some complain about the seats but for me I think they're great. Now the leather is just ok and nothing special that's why I didn't order it in my Bronco as I feel it's not worth the money.

It'll be interesting to see how you like the Tremor as it's really just some different suspension and larger tires. Some hate the Fx4 and say it's to bouncy but again coming form F150's where every one had the Fx4 I think they drive great. Good luck with you next test drive!
Yes, the curiosity of GM’s 2.7 turbo made me test drive the Silverado. I did think while test driving the Silverado “I like my truck way better” lol. I don’t hate Chevy. It was a nice truck. Just didn’t feel as good as mine. But their engine though - that’s a winner. 100 percent.

I’m starting up a small business and am going to be towing light loads from customer to customer with equipment so I’m purchasing a small enclosed trailer, so I should probably cool it with the curiosity of the Tremor, but I want to play too. If I can still tow and do my work with it AND go places and have fun in the west, then that’s what I would probably do.

Definitely agree about the comfort and size. It’s no Civic or anything, but to me and my perspective it was downright confidence inspiring and I felt I could whip the Ranger around tighter spaces much easier.

Yep, the F150 is an impressive vehicle and for all the shit I talk about this particular vehicles reliability, I love it. It’s just overkill for me. The Ranger seems like a much better long term fit.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I bought a Silverado once back in 2001 and really never liked that truck. I drove it for about 18 months and went right back to Ford. The Chevy did drive nice but nothing like the F150 and back then the body panels were really cheap and tinny.

I would definitely check out the Tremor especially if you're thinking of upgrading the tires and suspension in the future. This way it's all done for you and under factory warranty.

I've been driving trucks for over 25 years so for me my Lariat is one of the most comfortable trucks I've owned. I think some people that are coming from mostly driving cars have a hard time getting use to a truck, the comfort level is just not the same. There are several the Bronco forum who are in for a rude awakening as they've never driven a truck or large SUV and are coming from higher end luxury cars. They're getting the Sasquatch package (35's) and most will be mall crawlers anyways but I suspect there will be many who don't like the ride or the gas mileage. lol

OP
OP

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I bought a Silverado once back in 2001 and really never liked that truck. I drove it for about 18 months and went right back to Ford. The Chevy did drive nice but nothing like the F150 and back then the body panels were really cheap and tinny.

I would definitely check out the Tremor especially if you're thinking of upgrading the tires and suspension in the future. This way it's all done for you and under factory warranty.

I've been driving trucks for over 25 years so for me my Lariat is one of the most comfortable trucks I've owned. I think some people that are coming from mostly driving cars have a hard time getting use to a truck, the comfort level is just not the same. There are several the Bronco forum who are in for a rude awakening as they've never driven a truck or large SUV and are coming from higher end luxury cars. They're getting the Sasquatch package (35's) and most will be mall crawlers anyways but I suspect there will be many who don't like the ride or the gas mileage. lol
Exactly. There’s definitely a difference in comfort between the body on frame vs unibody.

With that said, the F150 is the only vehicle I’ve ever owned where I can drive literally hours on end and not feel fatigued. It’s not the most comfortable over bumps, expansion joints, uneven roads because of the solid axle and leaf springs, but I think it’s the size and space. I dunno. It’s interesting to think about. I couldn’t drive more than 4 hours on any car ive owned and not want to get out and walk around.

But in this F150, I’ve went from the North East to Texas numerous times. A couple of times straight through. 24+ hours non stop driving other than bathroom breaks and gas. While I wouldn’t recommend that for safety reasons, and yes I was tired just because I stayed up so long, when I reached my destination the first time I was like “damn I love this truck.” On the interstate it’s going to be hard to beat the F150.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
I can drive literally hours on end and not feel fatigued. It’s not the most comfortable over bumps, expansion joints, uneven roads because of the solid axle and leaf springs, but I think it’s the size and space. I dunno. It’s interesting to think about. I couldn’t drive more than 4 hours on any car ive owned and not want to get out and walk around
I miss the cushy old bench seats. I can can drive drive my hearse for days. it's like a big comfy velour couch on wheels that just cruises great
Sponsored