First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019.5 Ford Ranger XLT CPR
Occupation
Retired LEO/Retired Military/Doctoral Student
Worse case you can always go to the Dealer. It is a Ford product (probably from one of the distributors listed above). My dealer sells the ABS version and his guys were happy to put them on for me while I sat BS-ing about all the cars/trucks I have bought from them.
Sponsored

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine off ebay. lb-emarket was the seller. Mine are just the flat black vinyl and since I am a vinyl guy it was cake. I put them on dry which was not nearly as messy but I did cheat and put them on with the tailgate off and laying flat. Doing them that way is a lot simpler than trying to put them on vertically. The gate is aluminum and doesn't weigh anything so it's easy to remove. Also, if you put them on when it's cold they don't stick as strongly at first and if you are careful you can pull them up and reposition. If they are warm they will not only stick too easily but also stretch if you try to pull them back off.

Last edited:

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I'm sure someone who works in a body shop or decal shop would be able to remove them if need be. But you yourself probably won't be able to get them off. One of the benefits of picking a color that matches the trim, and/or is subtle, is that it only really pops if you're looking for it, otherwise it just kind of looks like it belongs and is easily glanced over.

And while we're talking about it, a decal shop would also put them on nicely as well, since that's what they do, if you're feeling uncomfortable about that. I know some on here have done it that way.
I had a guy that does wraps, decals, etc. put my ones on the grill, he also made me custom door sill pieces. For the rear I got Ford's version because I liked thickness and color- I think it both pops andl looks like it belongs :) I love them and they can be really subtle in some cases. I just wanted them done well and was not going to tackle it myself.

tail gate letters.jpg

ACon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat, 2018 Ford Explorer Limited
Has anyone put Black Platinum letters on a Magnetic Ranger? I'm ordering my truck next week and I'm planning to make mine like that.

Edit: I found a picture in the Magnetic Ranger Club Thread. Doesn't look bad.
I've got the OEM Black Platinum lettering on my Magnetic. Honestly, I think they would look great on other color trucks, but I find they don't stand out as much as I would like against the magnetic grey because they are almost mirror-like. Maybe it's just my angle though.

My magnetic truck is pretty much blacked out with a matte black everywhere else, so maybe it's just the fact that there is some mis-match going on. I might have to replace them if I'm not happy.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen many pictures and posts here where people have added dark Ranger letters to the tailgate. After looking at them I'm considering doing so as well. I have a few questions.

1. Where did you get them? I saw some on Amazon but am not sure about them.
  2. What type are they?
  3. What did you choose to match your Ranger? For example, my Ranger is Sabre and has the black grill, door handles, and wheels, but really the trim above the fenders and around the grill it is more of a dark grey than a solid black. So would you suggest trying to match that or a black matte?
  4. How hard are they to put on and line up properly? I often have a slight tremor in my hands due to medical issues so having a fine touch is difficult for me. So that leads to the next question.
  5. If I mess it up the first try how easy is it to remove them or correct it?
  6. If I decide later on I don't want them or if they start to fade or something how easy would it be to remove them.
Thanks!
Easy on, easy off.

P4021760.JPG

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
IF I do it it will probably be the flag pattern. I have a silver truck an it turned out good on that color.

Chuck Lau

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger...2005 Mustang Steeda
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Eye Catcher brand on Amazon. Red on magnetic Grey. Super easy to put on.
EYECATCHER ABS Decals are without Question the Very Best Choice Barr None....L@@K at the Feedback on Amazon.....Awesome Seller Too!.....His Name is Dennis....Great Guy

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I've seen many pictures and posts here where people have added dark Ranger letters to the tailgate. After looking at them I'm considering doing so as well. I have a few questions.

1. Where did you get them? I saw some on Amazon but am not sure about them.
  2. What type are they?
  3. What did you choose to match your Ranger? For example, my Ranger is Sabre and has the black grill, door handles, and wheels, but really the trim above the fenders and around the grill it is more of a dark grey than a solid black. So would you suggest trying to match that or a black matte?
  4. How hard are they to put on and line up properly? I often have a slight tremor in my hands due to medical issues so having a fine touch is difficult for me. So that leads to the next question.
  5. If I mess it up the first try how easy is it to remove them or correct it?
  6. If I decide later on I don't want them or if they start to fade or something how easy would it be to remove them.
Thanks!

1. Where did you get them? I saw some on Amazon but am not sure about them. I bought mine from an on-line Ford dealer located on Google and saved about 30% over Ford Accessories
  2. What type are they? Mine are a Black Platinum and they appear to be dark mirrors (Glass with a dark film
  3. What did you choose to match your Ranger? For example, my Ranger is Sabre and has the black grill, door handles, and wheels, but really the trim above the fenders and around the grill it is more of a dark grey than a solid black. So would you suggest trying to match that or a black matte? I have the dark Grille too and chose the Black Platinum as it matches the door sill step ups I bought and goes well with the Hot Red Pepper color of my truck
  4. How hard are they to put on and line up properly? I often have a slight tremor in my hands due to medical issues so having a fine touch is difficult for me. So that leads to the next question. I do not shake but missed aligning one and almost could not get it aligned...once you stick it, it is stuck. I think I would have someone you trust do it that doesn't shake.
  5. If I mess it up the first try how easy is it to remove them or correct it? I am not sure but a hot air gun might make them removable...I took the dealers junk off mine with that. Without...give up you are not getting them off.
  6. If I decide later on I don't want them or if they start to fade or something how easy would it be to remove them. Hot Air Gun would likely make them come right off but I like mine so I don't know for sure.
VKB3Z-9942528-B
https://accessories.ford.com/exterior/graphics-stripes-and-trim-kits/name-plate-12359.html

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
So...I fucked mine up. Probably only me who can see it but the E & R are off and it's driving me nuts. I have a plastic pry tool. Planning on warming them up then prising them off, followed by WD40 to remove adhesive. Does that sound right or will I fuck up the paintwork?

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have the 3d style in matte black. Got mine on Amazon from kingboo for $19. They have the 3m foam tape on the back and look really nice. I love the beveled edges....see pic

PXL_20220702_190723441.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So...I fucked mine up. Probably only me who can see it but the E & R are off and it's driving me nuts. I have a plastic pry tool. Planning on warming them up then prising them off, followed by WD40 to remove adhesive. Does that sound right or will I fuck up the paintwork?
Phil, you'll be fine taking them off just go slow. Warm them up with a blow dryer then grab a corner and peel it back slowly while keeping the heat ahead of it. You can get some new 3M tape and they should stick on like new. Just use some Iso alcohol before putting them back on so the new tape adheres.

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
If you went with vinyl all you would have had to do is peel it off.. Then you could have called tvdvinyl explain your situation and they prob would have sent free replacements. They have Excellent customer service. Just sayin..

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Phil, you'll be fine taking them off just go slow. Warm them up with a blow dryer then grab a corner and peel it back slowly while keeping the heat ahead of it. You can get some new 3M tape and they should stick on like new. Just use some Iso alcohol before putting them back on so the new tape adheres.
Pleased to report Operation: Remove Tailgate Letters was a success and took all of 5 mins. Thanks for the help Dave.
Sponsored