First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX2
Occupation
Student, Legal
When my readylift intrusion bars were installed, they never removed the bumper. The old ones were cut out, and then the readylift bars have a bit of an angled interior corner so they'll slide in. I found that the readylifts seem very beefy compared to the old bars.
yeah that’s what I read too on the forums. Seems like it’s the better choice
Sponsored

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
how did you guys get the rears out with the plastic blocks above the crash bars? my rear crash bars bolts wont come out as they have no clearance to pull out with the plastic in the way?

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
how did you guys get the rears out with the plastic blocks above the crash bars? my rear crash bars bolts wont come out as they have no clearance to pull out with the plastic in the way?
I’m stuck in this too. I removed the two bolts for those plastic waffle boards but I don’t see how they come off. Without removed those plastic blocks, the inside bolt cannot be extracted. Anyone have any insight?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone

I had a question about installing aftermarket intrusion bars.

I understand the easiest way to remove the intrusion bars is to cut them. However, when I install aftermarket intrusion bars (Readylift) does the fender still need to come off?

Because my logic is, if I cut them out to make it easier, wouldn’t it still be difficult to instal them because of the fender, bumper etc. are still in the way?

Thanks!
Hi Jeremiah,

You are changing the crash pulse...and Likely not in a good direction. Ready Lift did not likely crash test the bars to ensure the energy reaching the occupant in the cabin is similar to the Ford bars.

Beefy is not your friend in these cases of crumpling to dissipate energy... Unknown what might be more severe injury... Very foolish mod...JMO.

Best,
Phil

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Hi Jeremiah,

You are changing the crash pulse...and Likely not in a good direction. Ready Lift did not likely crash test the bars to ensure the energy reaching the occupant in the cabin is similar to the Ford bars.

Beefy is not your friend in these cases of crumpling to dissipate energy... Unknown what might be more severe injury... Very foolish mod...JMO.

Best,
Phil
Phil,

I do have to ask your opinion on large off road bumpers. The intrusion bars clearly serve a purpose and probably have a specific force they are designed to bend at so I agree with your statement. However would a change in bumper impact the way the frame crumples as well? I think the answer would be yes. Just curious.

Thanks!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

I do have to ask your opinion on large off road bumpers. The intrusion bars clearly serve a purpose and probably have a specific force they are designed to bend at so I agree with your statement. However would a change in bumper impact the way the frame crumples as well? I think the answer would be yes. Just curious.

Thanks!
Hi Derek,

You make a good point that aftermarket bumpers might affect the crash pulse, but the key crumple is the frame which is not changed. I think a bumper mod is less likely to affect crash than the crash bars for side impact protection...

Best,
Phil

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Hi Derek,

You make a good point that aftermarket bumpers might affect the crash pulse, but the key crumple is the frame which is not changed. I think a bumper mod is less likely to affect crash than the crash bars for side impact protection...

Best,
Phil
Thanks a lot Phil. You are a wealth of information. I wish I knew you when I was a teenager with a sawzall, oxyacetylene torch, and a arc welder. Oh those were fun times, it's amazing I didn't die.

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
I’m stuck in this too. I removed the two bolts for those plastic waffle boards but I don’t see how they come off. Without removed those plastic blocks, the inside bolt cannot be extracted. Anyone have any insight?
There are actually 4 bolts that hold those plastic blocks on. Two are hard to see. They are on the outer edge and the bolts are at an angle.

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
There are actually 4 bolts that hold those plastic blocks on. Two are hard to see. They are on the outer edge and the bolts are at an angle.
Ahhhh thank you. I didn’t fully pull the fender liner and was wondering what the heck was going on. I’ll dig deeper this weekend. Thanks for the information!

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
Ahhhh thank you. I didn’t fully pull the fender liner and was wondering what the heck was going on. I’ll dig deeper this weekend. Thanks for the information!
No problem, glad I could help.

oubbascooba

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
No problem, glad I could help.
Quick question. Are the side bolts under the fuzzy liner, or actually under the outer plastic fender that the side marker is attached to?

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
Quick question. Are the side bolts under the fuzzy liner, or actually under the outer plastic fender that the side marker is attached to?
They are under the felt liner. Kinda hard to get to. I had to take the bottom fender trim screw out and pop off the lower portion of the trim to be able to get a socket and extension in.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone

I had a question about installing aftermarket intrusion bars.

I understand the easiest way to remove the intrusion bars is to cut them. However, when I install aftermarket intrusion bars (Readylift) does the fender still need to come off?

Because my logic is, if I cut them out to make it easier, wouldn’t it still be difficult to instal them because of the fender, bumper etc. are still in the way?

Thanks!
I cut my oem beams and did not need to loosen the bumper, just some inner fender well plastic liner parts, I also had to trim a hard honeycomb plastic mounting block on both rear portions of my front wheel wells, in order to reach a small deep bolt. I wrote it up on one of my build threads.

The readylift beams are trimmed down to allow tire clearance and easier install but they reinforced the entire bar with an extra center bar to make it stronger.

Here is a link to my install post. I bought the beams at coopscustoms.com. I think that's the correct spelling google to be sure.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.3511/post-224377
Sponsored

Last edited: