Power? Tune?

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
I would love to see real world comparisons of all tuners on the same vehicle with back to back dyno pulls/track time. I know when I was tune only on 93 octane I would pull on the same truck with different tuners software. Obviously now with E85 it's like clubbing baby seals. I would love to see more fast Ranger's out there....
You can make a Dyno read whatever you want, trap speed is what matters, I would bet they are all within the same few tenths
Sponsored

13 Second Ranger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
You can make a Dyno read whatever you want, trap speed is what matters, I would bet they are all within the same few tenths
Would love to see that data. I hate seeing everybody boast about this tuner and that tuner....I love to see real world results and not a good marketing plan...lol...

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I would love to see real world comparisons of all tuners on the same vehicle with back to back dyno pulls/track time. I know when I was tune only on 93 octane I would pull on the same truck with different tuners software. Obviously now with E85 it's like clubbing baby seals. I would love to see more fast Ranger's out there....
Workin’ on it :like:

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
On June 30th, Ford released 3 upgrade packages for Rangers - I purchased my 2020 XL Ranger in February '20.
In the Level 2 performance package, Ford offers: "Ford Performance engine calibration, which increases horsepower by 16 percent to 315 at 4,500 RPM and increases torque by nearly 20 percent to 370 lb.-ft. at 2,500 RPM."
These are supposed to be done by the dealership. I am most interested in this particular piece of the Level 2 performance package - currently I don't want to add the off-road accessories they are offering in all 3 packages. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealership to see if they do just the engine piece to which I allude in the above paragraph?
Has anyone tried this yet? Just curious. BTW, I really like the 5G and 6G forums - I've learned quite a bit in the couple weeks I've been a member.
Thank you for any advise or input.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
On June 30th, Ford released 3 upgrade packages for Rangers - I purchased my 2020 XL Ranger in February '20.
In the Level 2 performance package, Ford offers: "Ford Performance engine calibration, which increases horsepower by 16 percent to 315 at 4,500 RPM and increases torque by nearly 20 percent to 370 lb.-ft. at 2,500 RPM."
These are supposed to be done by the dealership. I am most interested in this particular piece of the Level 2 performance package - currently I don't want to add the off-road accessories they are offering in all 3 packages. I'm waiting to hear back from my dealership to see if they do just the engine piece to which I allude in the above paragraph?
Has anyone tried this yet? Just curious. BTW, I really like the 5G and 6G forums - I've learned quite a bit in the couple weeks I've been a member.
Thank you for any advise or input.
You can purchase the calibration and install later, which is what I did.

PART NUMBER: M-9603-REB

I purchased it from Levittown Ford Parts, excellent customer service btw. https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2019-ford-ranger-calibration.html

Reactions: Doc

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can purchase the calibration and install later, which is what I did.

PART NUMBER: M-9603-REB

I purchased it from Levittown Ford Parts, excellent customer service btw. https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2019-ford-ranger-calibration.html
Wow! Thank you very much for that information. I really appreciate it! I've gotten great service from my dealership World Ford so I expect nothing different on this go around. I currently run nothing but 93 Octane in my Ford and greatly anticipate the performance boost.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Anybody know what's wrong with the tunes that are preloaded on the tuners? I have an sct tuner and the preloaded tunes work just fine. I'm still wondering if custom tunes are really necessary if you haven't done other mods.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
In the FWIW category - my dealership rep in private recommended the Livernois tune over the Ford Performance tune. (I've not yet pulled the trigger on either; frankly, I can't sort the warranty truth from rumor)

During a recent software/ECU issue that put my Ranger down for two weeks when the dealership attempted to recalibrate for bigger tires, I twice mentioned the possibility of purchasing and installing the Ford tune; it advertises a maximum tire reset size equivalent to what I put on the truck (265/70r17). Ford got the truck up again without needing the tune upgrade.

When I picked up the truck my rep pulled me aside to apologize for seemingly ignoring my tune questions, and noted that he/most in the shop recommended Livernois' tune (he went so far as to offer a POC).

Certainly not the end all be all of recommendations, but it held weight with me given what the dealership had grappled with fighting the software hiccup over the past two weeks. It's also perhaps worth something given we're in the Motor City and Livernois is just a few miles away. Great reputation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Buy the Ford Performance tune, and get your full warranty!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Anybody know what's wrong with the tunes that are preloaded on the tuners? I have an sct tuner and the preloaded tunes work just fine. I'm still wondering if custom tunes are really necessary if you haven't done other mods.
The only problem with the preloaded tunes is that they are what is known as a canned tune or one size fits all kind of tune. The problem with that is it doesnt always give the best results even on a stock vehicle. When I got my stuff to Livernois they told me they had to take more time to set the tune up to my trucks stock calibration. A pain in the neck but it os what it is. I would also rather them go through it correctly for any possible calibration that could throw things off.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Buy the Ford Performance tune, and get your full warranty!
Unfortunately it isn't what you think. The disclaimer says it goes strait off the vehicles original purchase date and mileage for warranty so all it does is make the powertrain warranty a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty from the factory. An unfortunate truth for those who have a bunch of miles as it is.

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately it isn't what you think. The disclaimer says it goes strait off the vehicles original purchase date and mileage for warranty so all it does is make the powertrain warranty a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty from the factory. An unfortunate truth for those who have a bunch of miles as it is.
That is correct - I had good conversation with the service tech writer at my local Ford Dealership in Pensacola, World Ford. First, the cost - it's about $1200 or so to do the upgrade. Second, it does void the 5y/60K powertrain factory warranty and drops it to the standard 3y/36K. I asked why, since Ford was doing it, and he said it had something to do with Ford Racing. Third, the tech told me that they've done that upgrade for one Ranger. The owner was extremely disappointed, and couldn't notice a discernible difference at all in the horsepower or torque - he in fact, asked the dealer to return to stock. With out openly saying it, the tech intimated not doing the upgrade. I can appreciate that type of honesty - he could have told me everything was great with the upgrade and I wouldn't have known any difference. So for now, I'm sticking with the 270HP/310 torque from the factory.
One last thing, when I mentioned that I run Shell 93 Octane in my Ranger; the tech said it might be better to run 87 in it since that is the gasoline grade for which the engine was designed. He said the detergents in the Shell gas would keep the engine cleaner, but the 87 octane would actually enhance the engine performance better than the 93 Octane. I'm not really sure about that - I feel my Ranger runs better on the Shell 93 Octane , but it could be in my mind. Anyone with thoughts on 93 Octane vs. 87? The owner's manual recommends nothing lower than 87, but says that higher octane gasoline is perfectly acceptable and could enhance performance.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That is correct - I had good conversation with the service tech writer at my local Ford Dealership in Pensacola, World Ford. First, the cost - it's about $1200 or so to do the upgrade. Second, it does void the 5y/60K powertrain factory warranty and drops it to the standard 3y/36K. I asked why, since Ford was doing it, and he said it had something to do with Ford Racing. Third, the tech told me that they've done that upgrade for one Ranger. The owner was extremely disappointed, and couldn't notice a discernible difference at all in the horsepower or torque - he in fact, asked the dealer to return to stock. With out openly saying it, the tech intimated not doing the upgrade. I can appreciate that type of honesty - he could have told me everything was great with the upgrade and I wouldn't have known any difference. So for now, I'm sticking with the 270HP/310 torque from the factory.
One last thing, when I mentioned that I run Shell 93 Octane in my Ranger; the tech said it might be better to run 87 in it since that is the gasoline grade for which the engine was designed. He said the detergents in the Shell gas would keep the engine cleaner, but the 87 octane would actually enhance the engine performance better than the 93 Octane. I'm not really sure about that - I feel my Ranger runs better on the Shell 93 Octane , but it could be in my mind. Anyone with thoughts on 93 Octane vs. 87? The owner's manual recommends nothing lower than 87, but says that higher octane gasoline is perfectly acceptable and could enhance performance.
Hi Thomas,

Couple things. The engine will perform better on 93 as the engine can extend the ECM parameters and generate HP and Torque. He is correct that the motor was designed for 87 octane but also has the enhanced performance capability available when 93 octane is used.

He is correct...Ford Racing gets to define the warranty period for a Ford released MOD. I concur to leave well enough alone on a tune upgrade. JMO

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any thoughts on the Idrive peddle/throttle upgrade? Don’t want to tune the engine but would like the throttle response from the peddle to be better. Thx.
Sponsored