Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
There are paints that are specifically formulated for frames. It fills seam voids and where welds are. Goes on thick and is pretty much bullet proof for years to come. Mind you the stuff is pricey but for what it does nothing works better
Exactly Rick - the right product makes a big difference. Every time we drive, there‘s a certain amount of “sandblasting” happening under our trucks. Add gravel or salt and standard paint products are bound to be compromised.
Sponsored

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
There are paints that are specifically formulated for frames. It fills seam voids and where welds are. Goes on thick and is pretty much bullet proof for years to come. Mind you the stuff is pricey but for what it does nothing works better
I've been reading about a few, as this is my first ever new vehicle purchase and I would like to keep it as nice as possible. POR-15 apparently bonds to rusted metal better, instead of a painted surface. Another option seems to be UCP-99 made by magnet paint, which needs a few coats but looks like a good option. Do you know of any other brands to consider?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I've been reading about a few, as this is my first ever new vehicle purchase and I would like to keep it as nice as possible. POR-15 apparently bonds to rusted metal better, instead of a painted surface. Another option seems to be UCP-99 made by magnet paint, which needs a few coats but looks like a good option. Do you know of any other brands to consider?
Believe it or not bed liner paint works nice too. It is an epoxy based paint. My son did it to his 2015 F150 and we also did use naval jelly on the frame and wire brushed it to death before painting. It’s all prep work if the frame has rust on it already. Especially in New England! I looked under his bed last weekend and looks like we just did it still so it is standing up the the punishment test

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Believe it or not bed liner paint works nice too. It is an epoxy based paint. My son did it to his 2015 F150 and we also did use naval jelly on the frame and wire brushed it to death before painting. It’s all prep work if the frame has rust on it already. Especially in New England! I looked under his bed last weekend and looks like we just did it still so it is standing up the the punishment test
Awesome, I plan to do this when it warms up. I'll get some naval jelly and hit the trouble spots first, then paint. I'm in Mass too so we share the same issue, my goal is to keep the underside as clean as it is. I hate looking at rust!

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Anyone in Western Canada should check out sublime surfacing. They are in a town close to me and I know a few people who love the work they do in cleaning and sealing. Their instagram really shows the difference. I'll have to go to them soon when I gather some change together
Sponsored