Payload?? How much can I dump in the bed?

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
The farmer answer is to load it up till the axle touches the bump stops/jounce bumpers then add a smidge more. The legal answer is to see what the door jamb sticker says.
Just don't be this guy ,lol.

Sponsored

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Just don't be this guy ,lol.

I dunno, this guy may be my hero, I mean he pretty much nails it for felling right into the bed!

Bonus points for the hubcap popping off - I nearly spit out my morning coffee on that! =D

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
We used to load f-100 pickups with fertilizer bags above the sides on a 8 foot box, was about 3000lbs. I had a construction boss load a ranchero with lumber hanging 8 feet out of box and drive it 55 miles, regularly, it was a very heavy wet load of about a ton.
I have loaded other pickups well beyond their rated capacity. Keep in mind the rated capacity is a load the manufacturer suggests that a vehicle can handle 100% of it's life. Loading up a vehicle for a short drive from the store will unlikely hurt the vehicle even a 2x the rated load. slow speeds and bumps are what you need to be concerned with.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
That's 1/2 a ton last I mathed. Should Ranger be more than half a ton? Nah.
It's a little over 2/3 ton, but who's counting. I wasn't complaining that it wasn't enough, only noting the difference between various models and packages.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Also, the placement of the weight matters too. If it is all between the rear axle and the tailgate, that is bad. When you are maxing out the payload (and including passengers and gear in payload as you should) weight placement matters as there are 2 main numbers to consider for payload while loading the bed and no towing. Payload and RAWR (Rear Axle Weight Rating). If the load you are putting in the truck is under the payload rating but over the RAWR it's too much. Granted, for short, slow trips it may be OK, but remember, these vehicles have enough computers to estimate GVW based on the power needed move the truck, so if an issue comes up and it logs an overweight indicator... could be a warranty issue.
We used to load f-100 pickups with fertilizer bags above the sides on a 8 foot box, was about 3000lbs. I had a construction boss load a ranchero with lumber hanging 8 feet out of box and drive it 55 miles, regularly, it was a very heavy wet load of about a ton.
I have loaded other pickups well beyond their rated capacity. Keep in mind the rated capacity is a load the manufacturer suggests that a vehicle can handle 100% of it's life. Loading up a vehicle for a short drive from the store will unlikely hurt the vehicle even a 2x the rated load. slow speeds and bumps are what you need to be concerned with.
But if you overload it one time and end up in an at fault accident because the brakes could not safely stop you in time or you were unable to safely maneuver the truck due to too little weight on the front axle.... welcome to a whole new legal game and possibly issues maintaining insurance afterwards. I spoke with my insurance provider about how they handle cases like that and mentioned all the times I see people on online stating that they tow or haul way over the truck's ratings. They said if there was an at fault incident, they would still pay out on that since they owner did have coverage, but that if the investigation showed the vehicle was not being operated in a safe manner within the laws and manufactures' guidelines, they would discontinue their coverage and flag them somehow as very high risk.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It's a little over 2/3 ton, but who's counting. I wasn't complaining that it wasn't enough, only noting the difference between various models and packages.
All Rangers have the same GVWR of 6050 pounds. What causes the payload number differences is what the curb weight of the truck was when it left the factory, based on trim and packages. That is why if you add weight with any modifications you need to include that added weight as payload. And yes as @ControlNode mentioned above how it is loaded could affect axle loading and over load the rear axle as well as affect steering and braking.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
All Rangers have the same GVWR of 6050 pounds. What causes the payload number differences is what the curb weight of the truck was when it left the factory, based on trim and packages. That is why if you add weight with any modifications you need to include that added weight as payload. And yes as @ControlNode mentioned above how it is loaded could affect axle loading and over load the rear axle as well as affect steering and braking.
Yes, which is why I said I was only noting the payload differences between models and packages, ie additonal weight of Screw vs Scab, or adding a tow package reduces the payload by the weight of the tow package.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
In theory, this is Soupie, a 2WD XL Scab - 1,882 pounds:

1696284603505.png

But after a year and a half on this forum, Soupie can barely do 10 pounds! =D

I should weigh all the crap vital gear, that this forum forced me to buy. It has to be around 200 pounds! =p
Dang!!!!! I need your truck!! Mine is only 1700! With all the trailering i do, and load the bedbi could use that!! 2022 xlt fx2

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Dang!!!!! I need your truck!! Mine is only 1700! With all the trailering i do, and load the bedbi could use that!! 2022 xlt fx2
LOL, I bet my personal payload is bigger than yours!

My petite and svelte 230 pounds take a chunk out! And Cheech is a big Chihuahua mix at 22 pounds! =D

I think so much has been de-contented from the '22, the only good thing is a greater payload! =D

Soupie before a graphene session ...
1696373528135.jpeg

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I have had 1100 lbs in the bed 2 people and a big 100lbs K9 LOL
drove and handled nice didnt make me squat but a 1/2 inch

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
2023 Lariat Tremor with tow package

20230227_204951.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
When I hooked up my trailer, I was OK. But then I got an engine cover, so now when I hook up I may be over !!! :crackup:
Damn...now I may have to leave the wife home on the next trip !!!

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I have a rough Country Lift so it may be a little different I have had 1100 lbs in the bed and it didnt even squat and I didnt know it was back there, I have towed huge loads and also didnt know it was back there, so far I have not found the upper limit of this truck but when I find it, I will eb dure to post it here with pictures LOL
tomorrow again I am getting a set of wheel weights for a ford Tractor that will be well over a 1000 Lbs and going about 200 miles with them ....
I love this truck, its a damn work horse and get good MPG while doing it! city/highway and towing I get 20.4 mpg
Sponsored