Ordered a New Ranger. After reading about the numerous problems on this Forum I am not sure I made a good choice.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a bit biased and a bit of a Ford loyalist, but I think you'll be okay. I've been enjoying my Ranger since I purchased it slightly used in 2019 with 12,000 miles on it. I don't think these trucks will go the distance of your old S10, but if taken care of they should last a reasonable amount of time. I think there is just too much by the way of fancy tech in modern vehicles and I have doubts about these things lasting decades.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I swear I can see the word Ranger in small type wayyyy down that hole.

Look.....look again....dont stop, it's there.
You need look looked harder....it says damper in there. ?

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I bought my 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2 as I needed to replace a sedan I gave to my kid. I didn’t want another sedan or another SUV like my wife so I started looking at midsize trucks. None of the trucks on the market in fall of 2018 worked for me. They were too small, not equipped right, or didn’t wow me. I saw the Ranger at a car show, but it was behind ropes and I couldn’t get in it. A few weeks later I was invited to a Ford test drive event. I took the Ranger for a spin and was an instant fan. I went home and found a dealer that wanted my business. I went in and customed ordered my Ranger before production had even started.

Six long months later, my Ranger arrived. I was over the moon happy. Sadly, five days later, I was at the dealership dealing with a defective fuel injector. Due to the Ranger being brand new, spare parts were extremely rare. My Ranger was in the shop for three excruciatingly long weeks. I communicated my situation with Ford corporate and they compensated me quite fairly.

2 1/2 years and 30k miles later. my Ranger is running well and meeting all my needs. I prefer to drive it over my wife’s luxury SUV. I have owned many vehicles in over 45 years of driving and I have never been more pleased with any of of them than I am with my Ranger. Ford nailed it with this truck.

Last edited:

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Only you can decide if you made the right choice. Personally I love the truck, and going crazy looking/researching my next mod.

with that said…… i have almost zero doubt in my mind a Tacoma would still be a better option if longevity and reliability is what you want. A 4L turbo just wont out last a v6 period. And theres already build quality concern in almost everyones truck so far.

Examples: ive already had to have the dealer install shims because the pinion angles were off (most rangers driving around wont even notice the shudder or bother to get it fixed), my weather stripping around the doors are already warping, my front driver seat is being sheared by the seat belt, my oil smells like gasoline, my factory applied paint protection film is already peeling and apparently has been on back order for 3-4 months now….

its not complaining its just facts and sharing those facts so others will be aware and be able to rectify. Again…. Im still happy with my purchase but i have my concerns on longevity and reliability. Im hoping for 7years tops lol

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
The Ranger is a fantastic truck , fun to drive and more powerful than most other brands . The size is better than a full grown pick up . My only beef is the factory rear shocks suck from day one , giving a boat like ride .

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
It's still not the second best selling vehicle in Australia - not just in its class , but overall - for no reason, even though it's been out here since 2011.

Sure it has a few faults, a few i5 & i4 diesels have died due to over fueling from faulty piezo injectors, or the variable pressure oil pump fail-to-prime issue, and a few people have cooked their 6R80 autos by dragging huge caravans up mountains in 45 deg c summers.
Also some of the interior trim could have been a bit better done, and why can Ford not make reliable blend door actuators, or paint their iron engine blocks?

But considering the huge numbers sold here these are not major issues. As cars are expensive over here quite a few people tend to hang on to them for 10 years or more. There are plenty of local examples of Rangers that have racked up 300,000 Km and more, with minimal issues.

Many mining companies bought them and there is nothing tougher on a vehicle than mine site use in Australia. 50 degree C heat in summer, rough, unsealed, corrugated roads and tracks, bulldust, corrosive mine tailings, salt, and driven long distances over all of the above by people who know they don't own them.

Then amazingly after couple of years of so of this, they give them a pressure clean and polish, - probably the first one they've ever seen, and then sell these trucks at vehicle auctions for good prices!

I for one would almost certainly replace mine with another one when the time comes to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Roscoe_t

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL Supercab
I traded in my 2005 Ranger FX4 when I bought my '21 STX. This truck is head and shoulders above the '05. I do wish it was a tad smaller, but it handles a 3000-lb tow much better than the old truck. And the power is night and day. The transmission has been spot on. I'm very happy.

Oh, and I installed one of those WeatherTech seat covers on the driver's seat right away. It seems like the driver's seat in a pickup is a wear item like tires and belts.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Convince me that I made a good choice.
1) As an automotive engineer operating as the design authority for my projects I can say with confidence that manufacturing defects happen regardless of design quality. It's just how things go when large scale production is done affordably. Good luck finding any mass produced machine that offers as much as a modern vehicle does without any problems. (Hint: you won't.)

2) There is a symptom of confirmation bias found on forums like these. Most of us do not have any problems, or any problem we have faced has been dealt with.

In the past year I have put on 36k miles commuting in the city, road-tripping across the country, towing, and tons of off-roading (advanced, not just gravel roads). I also routinely use this truck as a work horse doing maintenance and building at my local MTB trails. The truck has been nothing but reliable, comfortable, and capable for me and I have no reason to believe it will not continue to do so for years to come.

WheelMon

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Website
autio.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
@Autio Travel App by Kevin Costner
Love, love, love this truck! It's my 3rd Ranger of various vintages. 4500 mi in and no issues at all.
One things I've noticed is that paint is thin on door edges so take care around there.

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
Just passed 40,000 kms and no issues. I love everything about this truck EXCEPT the child size fuel tank. Pulling my TT (5800 lbs) and having to stop for gas every 2.5 hours sucks.
On the other hand, going from Hamilton, ON to Sault Ste. Marie and return for $226 CAD is very good (without the trailer).

Last edited:

Adamsat6100

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Convince me that I made a good choice.
Mgym
My 2020 Lariat model with 10k miles has had no problems, I replaced my 2007 Ranger super cab with the 2020. My ranger is 2 wd with the 4cyl turbo that gets an honest 25 mpg on the highway. Toyota lost out because they don't offer a 2wd crew cab.

Avanti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I started a critical thread about the paint on my truck; there being some early scratches that you would have to know where they are to find them. Now after 2 years, I am perfectly happy with the paint and everything else about the truck. If i was going to buy a new truck today, it would be a Ranger. I haven’t been able to figure out how to delete that old thread.
Sponsored