Ordered a New Ranger. After reading about the numerous problems on this Forum I am not sure I made a good choice.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
The Ranger is a good truck. As good or better than anything in the class. My biggest complaint was my paint chipping on the bed in front of the wheel. I would seriously buy some clear rock guard and spray it on day one if I knew then what I know now. Some minor annoyances I had: buzzing rear camera cover, pleather parking brake boot that ripped and I had a minor vibration that no dealer would fix. I got my $40k Ranger for just under $35K (OTD for $37,500ish). I don't think I would buy any new truck, (or used truck) right now because they are all going for MSRP. That's just me. I think everything with tires is way overpriced right now and probably for the next few years....?
Sponsored

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
It's important to look at it from the right perspective. Vehicles are incredibly complex machines that are frankly a modern miracle to even be available to the general public at affordable prices at all. All machines, complex or not, have problems to at least some degree. Vehicles' problems are amplified since they are such an important part of our lives in today's day and age.

The reality is that ALL vehicle models from ALL manufacturers out there will have problems. There is no avoiding that with any type of machines, and especially not such complex ones as these trucks. I did a ton of research before buying my Tremor, looked at pretty much all the mid size trucks, scoured the boards for all these vehicles, asked around, read everything I could, etc. You will find problems (many) with every single model of vehicle the more you read about them. This board and Rangers are no exception. But at the end of the day it is really extremely rare to have any significant issues with a brand new vehicle today -- and Rangers are no exception to that either. There's no way to predict which Ranger on the lot or which Colorado on the other lot or which Tacoma on the other lot will have issues, but some of those vehicles on every dealer lot in the country will have problems. That's just the way it is.

The odds are heavily in your favor so you just have to hope you don't get stuck with one of the few problem vehicles. Switching to a different manufacturer because you read of problems with a Ford vehicle isn't going to make it any more likely you come away with a trouble-free vehicle. If you do unfortunately get stuck with a problem vehicle, you have a warranty and lemon laws -- could there be some hassle involved? Absolutely and it sucks (just dealt with it myself on my last vehicle) but that's just the reality of car/truck ownership.

Anyways -- specific to the Ranger. I've had no problems with my Tremor and absolutely love it. Most others will say the same thing. Good luck with yours.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
OP find me a vehicle forum where there aren’t tons of people posting about problems with their vehicles, I’ll wait….

Go browse TacomaWorld forums for a while.

You’re an adult, you make your own choices. Don’t come to a message board full of strangers to make decisions for you.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
There's wisdom in what @VegasRanger says.
You do you.
Only you know what you're going to be comfortable with.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I love my Ranger, 26 months of trouble free ownership. Sure there are SOME who had had problems but the majority are trouble free or at least minimal issues. You wanna see problems, go buy a Tacoma! Best thing you can do is go out and test drive them all and make your own decision.

sklnbnz

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
No significant issues with my 2020 Ranger... There is no doubt that forums are where people come to both complain and learn.

A couple things I find reading the forums, especially the mid size truck forums....
  • People buy a midsize truck coming from a car and don't understand why it does not run and drive like a car.
  • People buy a $30k-$40k vehicle and expect build quality of a $100k vehicle
  • You start sorting through these forums and there are, generally, many more people that are happy and bragging up their truck, mods, etc...
It is kind of like Yelp in a way where you may see 50 excellent reviews of a place, then one bad review that is scathing and you go somewhere else.

That's my 2 cents worth! And for hell's sake, if you have an issue and you're under warranty, go to the dealer!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Convince me that I made a good choice.
This applies to every single product forum that has ever existed.

The most vocal with complaints (justified or not) will make their voice heard on a forum.

I'm not sure its possible to reason with anyone who thinks what they read on a forum is in any indication of a problem on a large scale. That tells me that an individual lacks critical thinking. Not to mention complaints probably make up 5% of this forums traffic. There aren't 100,000 ranger owns on here. Probably not even 1,000. There is more like a hundred or two of us that are actively participating day to day.

I'm not trying to be rude, but my candy coating filter broke a long time ago in life. Get the Ranger, Don't get the Ranger, I really don't care to convince you of anything. You should go out and find the proof you want yourself, IF IT EXISTS on the scale you are quick to believe.

Go to any car forum and you'll find equal complaints or known non-critical problems. I don't care if its for a Corvette or a Civic.

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
Don’t take our word for it. Go look at this guy. He’s already neck deep into a whole new axle, and he’s loving it.

F1B2EE5B-DBB9-484A-942A-486A071ABF63.png

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got rid of mine. $1000 every year maintaining it. Failed inspection first year I had it…….. what?…….SOOO sorry!!!! Thought this was the Jeep Patriot forum. :wink:
F**kin’ love my Ranger!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I think the posts here on this thread tell the tale. There are problems with all vehicles, and reading forums won't tell the tale.

Me, I bought a 2020 new off the lot in March. There are many things I look at and think, seriously, you did THAT? But, I am lucky and got (at least I hope) a well built truck with all the stuff they have since started pricing off to save money, except the 2 tie downs in the bed, but I can live with that.

We'll see if my luck holds. It's my first American vehicle, and I chose it over any other midsize truck out there, and I'm still happy. Hope it works out for you, too.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Please don't let anyone here make a decision for you. We are all perfect and never ever have any issues with our Rangers. You will enjoy it and that is my story. Ha Ha. so yes I would buy another one if I had to replace this one.