Open diff vs. rear e locker - did I make a mistake?

Gibs45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Cactus Grey
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

From time to time I think about this and wanted opinions here. I got my truck in 2021 (Sport 4x4) without the factory e locker, not realizing at the time how useful it can be off road. Truthfully I was just getting into off road driving, and didn’t think anything of it, thinking all I needed was a 4x4. I’ve managed to do some pretty tough trails without it, with a solid set of tires and upgraded suspension.

Should I look at adding an aftermarket locker, or just keep going until I find myself in a situation where I need a locker? I guess this is somewhat of an arbitrary question. How many of you have been wheeling with 4x4 and an open diff? What is your experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bad Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I don't have any experience with Rangers, yet. But I am a huge fan of lunchbox lockers. I had a lockrite and an Aussie locker in my old Dodge and they make a huge difference.

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
The e-locker is useful in certain situations but it is not required for most offroad driving. If you're in deep sand/mud/snow it can be useful to keep you from getting stuck, or get yourself out if you did get stuck. If you're on a very steep incline it can help you be able to make it up.

I've been offroading for years with my Xterra Pro-4x (has rear locker) and only actually needed the locker once. Most of the time it just wasnt necessary to turn it on.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

From time to time I think about this and wanted opinions here. I got my truck in 2021 (Sport 4x4) without the factory e locker, not realizing at the time how useful it can be off road. Truthfully I was just getting into off road driving, and didn’t think anything of it, thinking all I needed was a 4x4. I’ve managed to do some pretty tough trails without it, with a solid set of tires and upgraded suspension.

Should I look at adding an aftermarket locker, or just keep going until I find myself in a situation where I need a locker? I guess this is somewhat of an arbitrary question. How many of you have been wheeling with 4x4 and an open diff? What is your experience?

Thanks!
Ground clearance, tire size, and tire tread tend to be the limiting factor. I've been off roading in this truck for three years now and have only needed to use the locker once. Did the same trail later with bigger tires and had no problems with the diff open.

In my experience, the kind of wheeling where lockers are needed frequently tends to result in a broken truck - not the kind of thing recommended for brand new $30k-$50k pickups. I leave the more extreme stuff to purpose built shit boxes.

OP
OP
Gibs45

Gibs45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
The e-locker is useful in certain situations but it is not required for most offroad driving. If you're in deep sand/mud/snow it can be useful to keep you from getting stuck, or get yourself out if you did get stuck. If you're on a very steep incline it can help you be able to make it up.

I've been offroading for years with my Xterra Pro-4x (has rear locker) and only actually needed the locker once. Most of the time it just wasnt necessary to turn it on.
Thanks for the reply. Is is true that traction control/ABS system can kick in here to help? I swear I have noticed this when i was in some trickier situations.

OP
OP
Gibs45

Gibs45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Ground clearance, tire size, and tire tread tend to be the limiting factor. I've been off roading in this truck for three years now and have only needed to use the locker once. Did the same trail later with bigger tires and had no problems with the diff open.

In my experience, the kind of wheeling where lockers are needed frequently tends to result in a broken truck - not the kind of thing recommended for brand new $30k-$50k pickups. I leave the more extreme stuff to purpose built shit boxes.
This is great to hear, thanks for the reply! I swear there is something to the traction control system or ABS that has gotten me through some weird spots. Not sure if there is something to that?

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
Thanks for the reply. Is is true that traction control/ABS system can kick in here to help? I swear I have noticed this when i was in some trickier situations.
I'm not entirely sure how the Ranger handles it, but in 4low you'd normally not have the normal TC active. It tends to get in the way when doing proper offroading. You should be in 4low when doing any low speed offroading, especially in spots where you might get stuck.

If you're in 4high it is likely still active but that mode is really meant for dirt tracks and similar, not actual offroading.

If you have terrain modes, those are a form of traction control that works in 4L and 4H.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is great to hear, thanks for the reply! I swear there is something to the traction control system or ABS that has gotten me through some weird spots. Not sure if there is something to that?
It might function similar to the Toyota A-trac, but I'm not sure. I can think of a few times where it seemed to get me up and over stuff, but the tires could have just caught some solid ground. Like the other guy said, it tends to get in the way off road since it is designed to keep you from spinning out of control in traffic.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Just know if you replace the diff you need to replace the gears as well. Open diffs have the ring gear welded to it. Only the E locker has the ring gear bolted on.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Hey all,

Thanks!
I have been 4-wheeling in the Colorado/Wyoming/Montana mountains for over 40 years. This is the first truck I have had with a rear locker. My experience has shown that it is in no way required for my adventures, but now that I have it...it sure is nice! Kind of like air conditioning, don't really need it, but makes things more comfortable.

Saying that, I don't think I would upgrade to an aftermarket e-locker if I didn't all ready have it.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
While nice to have, a rear lock is far from required for off-roading. I've wheeled plenty of vehicles without lockers and they were fine.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I'm not entirely sure how the Ranger handles it, but in 4low you'd normally not have the normal TC active. It tends to get in the way when doing proper offroading. You should be in 4low when doing any low speed offroading, especially in spots where you might get stuck.

If you're in 4high it is likely still active but that mode is really meant for dirt tracks and similar, not actual offroading.

If you have terrain modes, those are a form of traction control that works in 4L and 4H.
What is "proper offroading"?
Sponsored