Old Man EMU

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
I did reuse the 1/4 shim that was on the drivers side from the factory.
Attached are the current rear heights.
9494ACFE-9A8F-40BC-A972-CD96B3FDE9BF.jpeg
5541977B-22F7-409D-B1F3-17315B67A511.jpeg
THANKS for the reply.
Now it begs the question: Are the OME springs of equal arch/ride height or is Ford's frames/front suspension causing the lean ?
Hopefully someone orders the 1200# springs and can take similar measurements. I don't think the weight of fuel will make a difference.
I want to be able to run my springs without any spacers.
We'll have to let the mystery evolve.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
THANKS for the reply.
Now it begs the question: Are the OME springs of equal arch/ride height or is Ford's frames/front suspension causing the lean ?
Hopefully someone orders the 1200# springs and can take similar measurements. I don't think the weight of fuel will make a difference.
I want to be able to run my springs without any spacers.
We'll have to let the mystery evolve.
As I can see you haven't noticed yet LOL. I ended up getting the standard load kit which has the least coils and all shocks and struts. It just came in yesterday and I'm going to be putting it on Monday. I'll take before and after pictures so you can get an idea.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
As I can see you haven't noticed yet LOL. I ended up getting the standard load kit which has the least coils and all shocks and struts. It just came in yesterday and I'm going to be putting it on Monday. I'll take before and after pictures so you can get an idea.
Does your truck have a spacer under one leaf pack ?
I am curious as to whether the factory leaf packs are the same height when set on the shop floor,side by side, in a upside down manner.
Or does the spacer make them level ? This will be telling us if the spacers make up for leaf spring variances or the weight of fuel and/or drivers.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does your truck have a spacer under one leaf pack ?
I am curious as to whether the factory leaf packs are the same height when set on the shop floor,side by side, in a upside down manner.
Or does the spacer make them level ? This will be telling us if the spacers make up for leaf spring variances or the weight of fuel and/or drivers.
Honestly I couldn't tell you if I have spacers on my truck because I dont have the lean that everyone has. When I go to put the kit on I will let you know.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I will have pictures tomorrow but I have finally installed the Old Man EMU kit!!!! So far from what I can say is for road manners it is nice. Bumps in the road that were not easy to tolerate are now easy to handle. As for offroad we will have to wait until next weekend as I have tires on the way.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So here is a before and after of the installation of kit. Overall it raise the front about 2.4 in and the rear about 1.5 to 1.6 inches. As stated before the right is pretty nice on the road and I'm yet to go off-road to see how it's going to do. The only complaint I have so far and I'll just have to figure out what's causing it to begin with is at 55 miles an hour I have a vibration. I had it before the suspension lift now it's just Amplified.

0505201218_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191031_174431.jpg

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
So here is a before and after of the installation of kit. Overall it raise the front about 2.4 in and the rear about 1.5 to 1.6 inches. As stated before the right is pretty nice on the road and I'm yet to go off-road to see how it's going to do. The only complaint I have so far and I'll just have to figure out what's causing it to begin with is at 55 miles an hour I have a vibration. I had it before the suspension lift now it's just Amplified.
What are the angles of your driveshaft u-joints after Installing the lift? Could be a cause of the vibration if you’re positive the tires are balanced.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What are the angles of your driveshaft u-joints after Installing the lift? Could be a cause of the vibration if you’re positive the tires are balanced.
So I finally measured the driveline angles. The front part of the shaft to transmission is 5° center support 3° and rear to axle 5°. The front section didnt move of course. After talking to one of my fellow techs he has a feeling that my tires may be causing the problem and I already have tires at my work that will be getting installed in a few days. Once those are on we shall see.

I shall also note i originally did not reinstall the spacer between the leaf and axle on the drivers side. I had a difference of 1/2 an inch. Just reinstalled it and corrected about 1/4 front to back. Now too see what it does.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Alright new update. After putting the shim back in and correcting the alignment again I have improvement. Still have the vibration at the one speed and I am now convinced that my studded tires may be causing it a bit, so i will correct that in the next few days and curious to find out what happens after I put the tune from Livernois on it will do.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Alright new update. After putting the shim back in and correcting the alignment again I have improvement. Still have the vibration at the one speed and I am now convinced that my studded tires may be causing it a bit, so i will correct that in the next few days and curious to find out what happens after I put the tune from Livernois on it will do.
So, after putting the shim back in and after the alignment, what is the side to side difference?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, after putting the shim back in and after the alignment, what is the side to side difference?
With a full tank it is about a 1/4 inch lower on the drivers side. Barely noticeable and plenty tolerable to me.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's better than the 1/2" or more that mine is off. ?

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's better than the 1/2" or more that mine is off. ?
Look carefully at the drivers leaf spring. There should be a spacer between it and the axle. The passenger side should not be equipped with one.

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I've gone through this from the beginning. Ford actually replaced my DS spring under warranty because it was 1" off. I have the shims and all and it's better, but still not how I feel it should be; I haven't pressed the issue further because I knew I'd replace the springs anyway.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I've gone through this from the beginning. Ford actually replaced my DS spring under warranty because it was 1" off. I have the shims and all and it's better, but still not how I feel it should be; I haven't pressed the issue further because I knew I'd replace the springs anyway.
With that being said, the Old Man EMU lift is pretty nice. It took me a good bit of the day to install it and do the alignment but in the end it was well worth it.
Sponsored