First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
I’ve had this kit installed for a couple thousand miles now and I’d thought I’d share my experience, since there isn’t much information out there for these shocks. This will not be an install guide as the kit goes in just like any other coil over/rear leaf kit would. (took about 9 hours for me even with a lift, I did encounter issues though like dislocating a cv). Only difference would be how they mount the reservoirs, but those are pretty easy. I also won’t go into detail about the leaf packs, since there’s other threads on those. The kit comes with medium load springs.
3ED70D9F-29AC-4A67-BB1C-11FE4EB1F5C3.jpeg

In this kit you should receive: 2 medium load leaf springs, 2 side-specific front coil over shocks, 2 rear side-specific shocks, 2 rear shackles, 2 greasable pins, as well as all the hardware kits and bushings. Make sure you have everything before you install this kit. I did not, i ended up receiving 2 passenger side reservoir mounting brackets instead of 1 driver and 1 passenger. I reached out to @Stage3Motorsports, who then got ahold of arb, and I received a new front hardware kit in less than 24 hours.
B2525AFA-D34A-4BBA-AB10-B0ADBAF1811C.jpeg

Next I’ll go over each of the key features of these bad boys.

Bypasses: The main selling point of the shocks. (Bp= bypass). On a normal high end shock a bypass let’s you go faster by letting the oil go through multiple passages versus just one. To my understanding, arb uses this technology and gears it more toward ride comfort. All the little annoying rocks and bumps that slow a stock truck down are no longer a problem. I find the bp51s to be very comfortable off road.

Adjustability: These shocks have a huge range of adjustment. You can adjust your compression and rebound to your liking. I personally found I liked setting 3-4 on each, which is a little stiffer than what arb recommends for an empty truck, but it’s just personal preference. The front coil overs are adjustable for added weight as well. You can change the preload on the spring. Before you install: make sure you have the preload set to what is appropriate for your weight. The instructions walk you through how to do this.
10994AB4-EC12-4BB5-B57B-9ED9DB30C40A.jpeg

the rear shocks also have rock guards which is a nice feature

Reservoirs: These basically give you more oil capacity. Which in turn reduces heat. This lets you be offroad for huge amounts of time without overheating your shocks and experiencing shock fade, or blowing seals. (Should this happen, these shocks are fully rebuildable, and have a 36k mile warranty).
C725C65F-69DF-4BCB-88FA-494950FBDB1A.jpeg

My takeaways: I really like this kit. I’ve installed these on many customers vehicles in the past and was always impressed. I knew I wanted to wait for this kit to come available for the ranger. The ability to adjust your shocks on the fly is a huge advantage. Too bouncy? Turn up rebound damping. Too stiff? Turn down compression damping. Losing traction on corrugated/washboard roads? Turn up damping to keep that tire on the dirt. Arb does a great job in their instruction manual on situational adjustments.
Overall if you’re willing to shell out the money, and are looking for more of a long distance “overland” truck, these are the shocks to get. If you’re looking for go-fast shocks, I would look elsewhere. Though these don’t do a bad job at it.

EFF6B433-0595-442E-8943-74870F41C812.jpeg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've been looking at the rear leafs only but I don't want any additional lift over factory height. Not sure if they offer that.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Not going to lie... I'm quite jealous of you right now..... In time I will get it!!

Also it looks like the basic springs for standard load. I'm curious how it is on the constant 660 springs?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's a nice kit but way outta my reach. I'm looking at just the rear leafs an found these. They say stock height but I didn't think OME made stock height stuff. looks like they might not include bushings either.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emu-el120r

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
How is the front lift achieved? Are the perch adjustable? What amount of level can it provide? Thanks!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That's a nice kit but way outta my reach. I'm looking at just the rear leafs an found these. They say stock height but I didn't think OME made stock height stuff. looks like they might not include bushings either.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emu-el120r
Unfortunately if you buy the springs by themselves you do have to buy the bushings separately. With that said the springs are nice

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unfortunately if you buy the springs by themselves you do have to buy the bushings separately. With that said the springs are nice
I had a wrangler YJ with leaf's front an rear. Everyone said OME were the best riding springs on the planet for that platform but you had to buy the bushings separate an use their shocks with them to get the best ride quality. This made it way too expensive, especially for a 20 year old rusty jeep.

I also see ICON has a progressive leaf pack available but on back order too.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Not going to lie... I'm quite jealous of you right now..... In time I will get it!!

Also it looks like the basic springs for standard load. I'm curious how it is on the constant 660 springs?
If it helps, I will buy your current OME kit... :LOL:

I have heard really good things about this suspension, I just need a cool $4 grand to make it happen. I have no doubt that its worth the cost.
Sponsored