Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
what magnets did you use??
I had a pack of these neodymium magnets lying around from one of my kid's school projects so I used those. Really any size will work provided you glue them to the flap. Well you don't necessarily have to if you use two per hole, but I wanted to be sure they didn't pop off so thus the epoxy on both sides.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Auto Zone has boxes of those for a few bucks.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Yep, I had that happen.... Then I inserted the flat screwdriver, between the button head and the panel... when you twist the screwdriver it attempts to lift the button head, which puts inward pressure on the wings, which push inward against the screw, and allows the screw to unthread.

Well, that's how it's worked for me anyways.

so i am trying to access the filter to see if i have the right filter wrench and i got two out easily. the other two, just spin almost like they are stripped. this is a new truck. first oil change i will be doing. i used what's called a cats paw that i bought for the hood deflector and put it under the insert and the panel and it still just spins- the screw i mean. wtf? i am even using a power screw driver and its just spinning and spinning.......help.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
so i am trying to access the filter to see if i have the right filter wrench and i got two out easily. the other two, just spin almost like they are stripped. this is a new truck. first oil change i will be doing. i used what's called a cats paw that i bought for the hood deflector and put it under the insert and the panel and it still just spins- the screw i mean. wtf? i am even using a power screw driver and its just spinning and spinning.......help.
I use the cats claw under the fastener. Then leverage out like its going to pop out on its own (comes out like 1/4"). Then I use the screwdriver to unscrew the screw. They all came out super easy.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I use the cats claw under the fastener. Then leverage out like its going to pop out on its own (comes out like 1/4"). Then I use the screwdriver to unscrew the screw. They all came out super easy.
i tried same thing.. not mine..maybe i need to rotate the cats claw 90 degrees...

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i tried same thing.. not mine..maybe i need to rotate the cats claw 90 degrees...
i just pryed them out 1/4 inch then unscrewed them while i still had a lot of pressure on the fastener. just break them and replace them. There are easier ones out there to replace them with.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i just pryed them out 1/4 inch then unscrewed them while i still had a lot of pressure on the fastener. just break them and replace them. There are easier ones out there to replace them with.

yes, i want to get those before i break them though. is there a link for some others that fit in there? preferably amazon? i have already worn out the head of the screw. LOL.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, i want to get those before i break them though. is there a link for some others that fit in there? preferably amazon? i have already worn out the head of the screw. LOL.
They usually sell them with multiple sizes in a kit. Just got one and i'm sure you'll have a size that fits

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
yeah i ordered some. i also have some left from the hood deflector install. i wonder if they are the same size..... will need to check.. i want to make sure i have clips to clip it back and also need to make sure i have the right filter tool. 1st time doing oil on a ford for me.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
was able to remove the problematic one with the cats paw. it didn't break. but yeah, its stuck in there good. the hood weather stripping had the exact same pins and i have 8 of those as spares so used one of them. i have the right filter wrench and i can get to it with a ratchet.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I use a regular hand powered screwdriver... and don't push it forward, just twist, a.k.a. the Eric Clapton "slowhand" method..

Sometimes less is more.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I use a regular hand powered screwdriver... and don't push it forward, just twist, a.k.a. the Eric Clapton "slowhand" method..

Sometimes less is more.
That's how I got two of the three out. That third one just would spin. Then and only then did I try the power one and cats paw etc. Even with it out of the truck, it won't come out. Lolol. As I said, I have 8 spares from the hood deflector install that I can use and also I have some different clips coming from amazon. Will migrate to a less temperamental clip if possible.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's how I got two of the three out. That third one just would spin. Then and only then did I try the power one and cats paw etc. Even with it out of the truck, it won't come out. Lolol. As I said, I have 8 spares from the hood deflector install that I can use and also I have some different clips coming from amazon. Will migrate to a less temperamental clip if possible.
I miss the days of sheet metal screws or bolts. Everything is "plastic" today. Not a fan. Steel is real.
Sponsored