First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
This is my collected goo from my 2020 Ranger since purchased new in Aug 2020. The last 1800 miles was over this winter including two 600 miles trips. One little rain, the other clear. Temps were ~35F on both trips.

The bottom appears to be oil, the creamy delicious stuff in the center appears to be water/oil mix (a good guess based upon what happens to oil when a headgasket leaks from a water jacket into the oil), top appears to be unburnt fuel (smells like it anyway).

It collects much faster in high humidity cold weather.

I rarely check it in the summer, but buildup is quite fast in the winter. I've had the UPR can fill in a week!

As an aside I replaced the baffle oil O ring with a zip tie (the O ring functions as a retaining ring holding the top baffle plate down against the baffle. The zip tie is also loosening up over time (expanding). I'm going with a stainless steel crimp ring the next time I have it apart. I'll use the retaining ring at the bottom to take it apart to clean it. Why UPR didn't use a retaining clip on the top eludes me. They put the detent on the shaft.

CC1.png
Goes good with Vodka ..?
Sponsored

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
I will give you a free Moroso universal catch can if you want to try it beef stew

Reactions: Doc

Ibanezbass671

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Technician
My Ranger to date only has 1600 miles, far from me to think about carbon buid up. But just wondering here in this forum if there are any members installed an OEM oil/seperator like the one below;
1679545236445.png

OEM Part# M-6766-R23 .

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My Ranger to date only has 1600 miles, far from me to think about carbon buid up. But just wondering here in this forum if there are any members installed an OEM oil/seperator like the one below;
1679545236445.png

OEM Part# M-6766-R23 .
Is there a drain on it and if so where does it go?

I know we're warned to check/drain the CC frequently since sucking the crud they collect into the intake could be disastrous. Now I'm wondering if the CC keeps the intercooler clean too.

Some suggestion in another thread it may stave off egr sensor failure as well. The factory seperator isn't impressive.
Screenshot_20230318-125502~2.png

Screenshot_20230318-125442~2.png

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Now I'm wondering if the CC keeps the intercooler clean too.
Whether you have a catch can or not in off boost conditions the fumes are drawn from the crank case via a vacuum port on the intake manifold. None of the mess flows through the turbo or intercooler.

Whether you have a catch can or not under boost conditions the PCV valve closes and prevents boost pressure from entering the crankcase. But, any crankcase pressure from blow by will travel out the clean side line and reenter the intake infront of the turbo. So, under boost you are passing the oily mess through the turbo and intercooler.

The UPR dual valve catch addresses the on boost condition by using the low pressure infront of the turbo to continue pulling the oily fumes through the catch can before entering the turbo. The clean side line can still allow oily fumes to enter the intake but it will be reduced with the dual valve catch can.

As with any catch can they are not 100% effective so you will always have some oily fumes being introduced back into the engine, most of it going into the intake manifold and a smaller amount passing through the turbo and intercooler before entering the engine.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Whether you have a catch can or not in off boost conditions the fumes are drawn from the crank case via a vacuum port on the intake manifold. None of the mess flows through the turbo or intercooler.

Whether you have a catch can or not under boost conditions the PCV valve closes and prevents boost pressure from entering the crankcase. But, any crankcase pressure from blow by will travel out the clean side line and reenter the intake infront of the turbo. So, under boost you are passing the oily mess through the turbo and intercooler.

The UPR dual valve catch addresses the on boost condition by using the low pressure infront of the turbo to continue pulling the oily fumes through the catch can before entering the turbo. The clean side line can still allow oily fumes to enter the intake but it will be reduced with the dual valve catch can.

As with any catch can they are not 100% effective so you will always have some oily fumes being introduced back into the engine, most of it going into the intake manifold and a smaller amount passing through the turbo and intercooler before entering the engine.
I see the advantage of the check valves on the UPR then.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Is there a drain on it and if so where does it go?

I know we're warned to check/drain the CC frequently since sucking the crud they collect into the intake could be disastrous. Now I'm wondering if the CC keeps the intercooler clean too.

Some suggestion in another thread it may stave off egr sensor failure as well. The factory seperator isn't impressive.
Screenshot_20230318-125502~2.png

Screenshot_20230318-125442~2.png
That catch can looks like it barely qualifies as a catch can! I wonder how much testing was done on the design. Emptying it looks to be messy.

BTW, I love the Kershaw Launch 7300BLK knife! Got one just like it!

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This catch can is for the clean side of the PCV system. It will only help under boost which is a small fraction of the total engine run time. Your bang for the buck with a catch can is with one that is mounted on the dirty side of the PCV system where it removes oil while off boost. Most all catch cans available for the Ranger are designed for use on the dirty side.

FP sells this catch can for the Ecoboost Mustang with different hoses and also sells one for the dirty side. Not sure why they aren't offering a version of the dirty side catch can for the Ranger.

IMHO, if you are only going to have one catch can it needs to be one on the dirty side of the PCV system, this FP offering is of little value.

FWIW, folks on the Ecoboost Mustang forum have had issues with both of the FP catch cans with leaking and OBD codes.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
This catch can is for the clean side of the PCV system. It will only help under boost which is a small fraction of the total engine run time. Your bang for the buck with a catch can is with one that is mounted on the dirty side of the PCV system where it removes oil while off boost. Most all catch cans available for the Ranger are designed for use on the dirty side.

FP sells this catch can for the Ecoboost Mustang with different hoses and also sells one for the dirty side. Not sure why they aren't offering a version of the dirty side catch can for the Ranger.

IMHO, if you are only going to have one catch can it needs to be one on the dirty side of the PCV system, this FP offering is of little value.

FWIW, folks on the Ecoboost Mustang forum have had issues with both of the FP catch cans with leaking and OBD codes.
Sounds like one without the other is not a complete solution overall.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like one without the other is not a complete solution overall.
Yep! Unless you get the UPR dual valve catch can. With the clever use of check valves it works off boost as well as under boost.

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Ok trying to rap my head around this and understand the concept. Are the check valves an add on to the UPR duel catch can or does it come with it? And where are they added.
Sponsored