Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
All,
I think I found the Dash Cam I want.
They have an accessory to run power from the ODB2 port.
Is this a good choice? Are there any negative concerns?

This is an excellent option for me.
I'm fairly tech challenged.
Also somewhat physically challenged.
If I don't use this option, I would probably pay to have the power cord ran.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1501253023/Garmin-Constant-Power-Cable.html
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cwbyfan62

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ive had mine like this for over a year and its worked out great. No adding extra batteries and no splicing into wires or tapping the fuse box, just plug and go.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
The only issue I’d have with running power from the OBD2 port is it being disconnected while the vehicle is in for service. Look at the way some of these service techs abuse these vehicles. I think it was on here that it was posted where a guy had his dash cam footage of the tech doing a lot of wear to his clutch, because he didn’t know how to drive a stick.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The only issue I’d have with running power from the OBD2 port is it being disconnected while the vehicle is in for service. Look at the way some of these service techs abuse these vehicles. I think it was on here that it was posted where a guy had his dash cam footage of the tech doing a lot of wear to his clutch, because he didn’t know how to drive a stick.
True but if they really wanted to they could just turn the dash cam off with the power button while it's there for service. Of course they'll just tell you they did it to help preserve the battery when we all know they didn't want themselves being recorded.

Plus now with all the delays a lot of dealers want your truck for a week just to look at it. Most cams have a low battery cut off which would most likely shut it down after a few days of sitting there.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
True but if they really wanted to they could just turn the dash cam off with the power button while it's there for service. Of course they'll just tell you they did it to help preserve the battery when we all know they didn't want themselves being recorded.

Plus now with all the delays a lot of dealers want your truck for a week just to look at it. Most cams have a low battery cut off which would most likely shut it down after a few days of sitting there.
That is true, but you could also request that they leave it on. If your battery dies, they have the means to start your truck and charge the battery. Then, if you see them on footage turning it off, wonder what's up. But, plugged into the OBD2 port, it's a matter of course that they are going to d/c the camera to scan the truck (depending on what you brought it in for, of course).

This is just my feeling on the situation. I'm not saying using one of these is wrong. To each, his own.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I have one of those in both my vehicles. Different brand though. They work great but I wish I could manually set the low voltage cutoff, mine shuts off at 11.8v which is too low for my liking.

That one you linked looks much nicer since it has a timer. I might replace mine with that.

mk842766

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 2019 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Why not use a mirror tap....no wires to run at all.....

OP
OP
Cwbyfan62

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
Why not use a mirror tap....no wires to run at all.....
For two reasons. I have no clue what or how. As I said, I'm somewhat tech challenged.
And second, my local Ford dealership where I take my truck for warranty service looks for reasons to not cover a repair. I have a feeling if I open my mirror or whatever they will find it as a reason not to cover any electrical or software issues.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
For two reasons. I have no clue what or how. As I said, I'm somewhat tech challenged.
And second, my local Ford dealership where I take my truck for warranty service looks for reasons to not cover a repair. I have a feeling if I open my mirror or whatever they will find it as a reason not to cover any electrical or software issues.
The OBD cable is super easy to instal. You don't even need to pry and plastic parts off just tuck it through the headliner, down the A pillar (trim tools do help) and over to the OBD port. I left a little slack at the end because I'll pull mine out of the port if I know it's going to be sitting for a while. No sense in recoding the garage wall. lol
Sponsored