Normal Mileage for Factory Brake Pads?

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
What kind of mileage are you all seeing on the factory brake pads? I am about to turn 74k miles with the original pads. I have always been easy on my brake pads in anything I have driven, but I wanted to know if this many miles is common. My last pad inspection was on a reallignment and rotation about two months ago. The guys at Goodyear said my pads still looked great. I feel no fade or pulsing, and I hear no noise coming from them. Visually they look like they have a lot of life left in them.

Going on an overlanding trip in December and will be bringing a space set with me just in case, though.

I appreciate any thoughts.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of mileage are you all seeing on the factory brake pads? I am about to turn 74k miles with the original pads. I have always been easy on my brake pads in anything I have driven, but I wanted to know if this many miles is common. My last pad inspection was on a reallignment and rotation about two months ago. The guys at Goodyear said my pads still looked great. I feel no fade or pulsing, and I hear no noise coming from them. Visually they look like they have a lot of life left in them.

Going on an overlanding trip in December and will be bringing a space set with me just in case, though.

Hi Dustin,

This is a difficult question to answer, simply because brake pads are wear items and as they say, mileage will vary. We do run wear tests to control the wear, but our prime focus is complying with the government FMVSS requirements for braking and the NVH assessments of brake pads noise. Ever see a left foot braker from behind where the taillights blink on or off... the pad wear is horrible.

In modern times my Ford/Lincoln products, I have never needed to change brake pads. Good idea for you to carry spares on your overlanding experience, or change them now for fresh pads to avoid a in the field change....

Best,
Phil

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well, from towing and a heavy lead foot. I might be lucky to see 36000 miles

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Put simple I will agree with @P. A. Schilke on this one. It really depends on your driving condition and all sprts of things. Also the ranger is still so new that we dont have a true answer quite yet. Also with the great engine breaking we get chances are the brakes will do fine for quite a while.

Journeyman

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Electrician

I have 42K on my 2020 Ranger that I bought new in 2019 and my brake pads are not even 50% worn down. I also haven’t towed anything heavier than a small lawnmower trailer to take trash to the dump.

IMG_0130.jpeg

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
It's funny, my wife has needed new pads on two separate cars around 50k miles. My last car had almost 90k miles on the original pads. The difference is she feels she only has two speed options, 10 over the limit and zero. Unlike her, I like to coast to a stop.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
It's funny, my wife has needed new pads on two separate cars around 50k miles. My last car had almost 90k miles on the original pads. The difference is she feels she only has two speed options, 10 over the limit and zero. Unlike her, I like to coast to a stop.
Bob, you are not the only person who has a wife that drives that way. That being said her 2014 Outback has original brakes with 60k miles. I think she showed 6mm brake pad left on last check.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I get more mileage than some people on my brakes. I anticipate stops and curves coasting rather than braking. I can follow people for miles watching them hit their brakes on every hill, curve and for no reason at all, while never touching my brakes, all while keeping the same distance.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I'm at 64200 KM (40,000 miles) I had to do rear brakes today. Admittedly I have a heavy foot, I drive fast and brake heavy as a result. I also have a heavy truck, with full steel skids plates throughout, steel sliders, steel front bumper, winch, bigger tires, and they are 8 ply. I also have a tonneau cover, roof rack, and carry more tools and recovery gear than average. Al this adds up to expectation of higher brake wear.

With that said, I have never had a vehicle the wears rear pads out before front pads. I will have my front tires off tomorrow to see what they have left, and will compare pad size as well.

One thing I found today was the driver's lower caliper slide pin was rusted almost solid, which is the root cause for my immediate need for brakes. That resulted in my caliper canting, the pads wearing uneven, and the warning bar rubbing. The leading edge was worn almost right to the metal (another few days would have been rotor damage). The trailing (top) edge was still 15-20% available. The boot has a small hole on the bottom, which looks like it was caused by a pinch. That allowed the grease o be pumped out. I also off-road and have many times been in water deep enough to submerge the entire wheel. There was no other damage, no signs of impact, and considering the location of where the mount it, I don't find it highly likely to be caused by me, but also recognize that being directly on the bottom, and my truck being 2.5 years old, I realize it's as likely as it is to be a factory fault.

Over all, both outside pads are only about 65-70% worn. The passenger inner pad is 80% worn. If not for the bad slider pin, I think I would have gotten another 5-10K miles before they would have hit the warning bars.

Rear pads were $115 CDN, none of the aftermarket parts stores had any options. There was only one local dealer with 1 set of pads in stock and they told me they were weeks to months back-ordered just a few months ago.

The new caliper mounting bracket is $190 CDN, picking it up in the morning and installing it tomorrow.

1jc4pxy.jpg

Last edited:

thorn726

First Name
thorn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xl
i had mine checked at 46,000 miles and they were still at 8mm, that is very little wear i think new is 9mm??. all 4 wheels were the same. at 54K now still seem fine. most of my driving is with a load on but on the freeway in light to no traffic, i rarely brake hard and it is dry here.

Klom

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat (Supercab, FX4), Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Astronomer
I'm at 37k miles, and just had to install my third set of pads.
The joys of living on a mountain, brakes and tires are basically an annual replacement.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I'm at 37k miles, and just had to install my third set of pads.
The joys of living on a mountain, brakes and tires are basically an annual replacement.
Two words: engine braking.
Sponsored