No fuel filters?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for posting this. About to hit 30K miles and take it in for an oil change, and was thinking I would need the fuel filters changed.

I know my old '99 had them.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Quite often service writers don't even have a mechanical background. (Remember that, people who tip the service writer for whatever reason...)

The "techs" at my local dealer actually hate half the writers cause they dump more work on them through additional work orders the service writers convince the customer to accept.
Most of the service writers @ the Lincoln-Mercury dealership I wrenched at for 13.5 years had some sort of mechanical experience, we had good rapport with each other.

The last service manager I had the misfortune of working with, however was a complete idiot, an arrogant idiot at that.

He did not know the difference between a drain plug and a spark plug and was one of the reasons for me leaving.

The main reason was being accepted into the Honolulu Fire Department, the rest is history...

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It doesnt instill confidence that Ford has incorrect information in the owners manual.
The owner's manual is a joke, one would think that any manufacturer would at least try to provide accurate info in it.

Ford, apparently does not, I posted this fact 2 years ago when reading mine for my '20 Lariat.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Before I made my last service appointment I quickly Googled our maintenance schedule to see if there was anything that needed to be done besides oil at my mileage (30k, did my air filter at 25k)

Westpointvaford.com says "do your fuel filters".. so thats what I asked my dealer to do.
Screenshot_20220831-185048_Chrome.jpg

However...

20220829_180722.jpg

So... which one of these dealerships is stupid?
I found this with a quick search...

In both the 2019 and 2020 Owner's Manuals I downloaded from Ford it says that the fuel filter is integrated in the fuel tank. It is a lifetime unit and no replacement is required under maintenance.

Hmmm....

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I found this with a quick search...

In both the 2019 and 2020 Owner's Manuals I downloaded from Ford it says that the fuel filter is integrated in the fuel tank. It is a lifetime unit and no replacement is required under maintenance.

Hmmm....
Most newer vehicles have fuel filter inside the tank...life time?! Till when? 200K? 1 milliion miles? I doubt it...they want you to replace your fuel tank lol..My MINI has fuel filter inside the tank but it was replaceable...

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Back when I raced often (on the track).. I needed to swap a fuel pump because the stock unit couldn't keep up with demand. The "lifetime in tank filter" looked horrible at 60k miles. Maybe I used a bad station or they are full of it on it being lifetime to make cars/trucks seem cheaper to maintain. I'll try and find the pics of when I cut it in half.

Edit: Why did I cut it in half? Might as well replace it when I was in there (40 bux and I needed to make sure I had flow/psi/volume of fuel) and the filter material ended up looking like doodoo.

The good part of that story was I had access to the tank via the backseat so it wasn't that big of a pita to get to it all. I don't think it will be that easy on the Ranger.

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Back when I raced often (on the track).. I needed to swap a fuel pump because the stock unit couldn't keep up with demand. The "lifetime in tank filter" looked horrible at 60k miles. Maybe I used a bad station or they are full of it on it being lifetime to make cars/trucks seem cheaper to maintain. I'll try and find the pics of when I cut it in half.

Edit: Why did I cut it in half? Might as well replace it when I was in there (40 bux and I needed to make sure I had flow/psi/volume of fuel) and the filter material ended up looking like doodoo.

The good part of that story was I had access to the tank via the backseat so it wasn't that big of a pita to get to it all. I don't think it will be that easy on the Ranger.
My very first paying job as a mechanic was at a neighborhood gas station, we'd see several Chevy Vega's towed in because the crappy Delco-Remy in tank fuel pump was known to go bad regularly.

This fix was to install an inline Holley electric pump and extending the existing fuel line plumbing and wiring, leaving the failed fuel pump intact where it was. We'd mount the new pump on the frame rail near the tank.

Worked like a charm!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My very first paying job as a mechanic was at a neighborhood gas station, we'd see several Chevy Vega's towed in because the crappy Delco-Remy in tank fuel pump was known to go bad regularly.

This fix was to install an inline Holley electric pump and extending the existing fuel line plumbing and wiring, leaving the failed fuel pump intact where it was. We'd mount the new pump on the frame rail near the tank.

Worked like a charm!
What if the in tank filter fails because it's clogged up?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What if the in tank filter fails because it's clogged up?
The failed factory installed pumps were, on the average 2-3 years old when they failed, some went bad just after the factory warranty expired.

We did replace them with an OEM pump early on and did not notice any clogged "socks", we would have at least flushed out the tanks if we found any obvious filter restrictions.

The pump was just a shitty part, just like the rest of the car...
Sponsored

Last edited: