First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I have 256GB USB thumb drive filled with .wav rips. CD quality sound without the discs. I do wish CD players were still available from the factory
I have a 512GB drive ripped in FLAC. It works great and I never want to go back to the CD days again!
Sponsored

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
None of the bluetooth transmitters (or USB to 3.5mm adapters) worked for me -- I tried several --, except Naviks's USB interface. It's pricey, but worked immediately.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
None of the bluetooth transmitters (or USB to 3.5mm adapters) worked for me -- I tried several --, except Naviks's USB interface. It's pricey, but worked immediately.
I was wondering about that. The Naviks interface, because it is made for SYNC3, must have some software to show up as a source for the analog audio. Normally the USB needs to be a Drive type source to show up. Likewise for the Bluetooth source. How is the sound quality?

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Ordered 3 different products. Free returns if something does not work. They arrive Tuesday, 20th. So ill update then.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I found something that outputs 3.5m so I am going to try this gross combination of cables and see if it works with SYNC :D

1626378254671.png

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I found something that outputs 3.5m so I am going to try this gross combination of cables and see if it works with SYNC :D

1626378254671.png
No luck. SYNC says the USB device is not recognized. I wonder what the expensive Naviks adapter does differently.

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
No luck. SYNC says the USB device is not recognized. I wonder what the expensive Naviks adapter does differently.
It probably gives some science engineered signal to the sync device that a 3.5 cord does not. Science stuff and signals. I am sure it works, but, just a bit out of what my cheap ass wants to pay for.gonna post why i am looki g for the adapter with pic in just a minute

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Ok, i have had sirius radio since the early 2000s. Since the plug and play sirius devices. When the NASCAR channel was not a channel and only a show from 2 to 6 central time. So i have 4 devices that play siriusxm as it is called now. I do not pay a dime for it! Yay! So the trial ended on my Ranger, I have my favorite radio installed on the Ranger. But no aux cord, and the fm transmitter feature has a lot of static. These devices are not linked to an account, as far as I know, and have been giving me free radio for about 7 years now. I used to pay. But came to find out, no aux cord, and the sirius people can not beat free for satellite radio. Need the aux cord solution. This pickup does not have it......ha...ha. jokes on me.cheaper to pay a lifetime subscription than pay for the novik device. So looking for the cheap solution to have clear and loud liquid metal, and Dave moody on the radio again. So I will try the devices i ordered for Tuesday and see what works

20210715_201652.jpg

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I was wondering about that. The Naviks interface, because it is made for SYNC3, must have some software to show up as a source for the analog audio. Normally the USB needs to be a Drive type source to show up. Likewise for the Bluetooth source. How is the sound quality?
I'd love to plug one of those Naviks into a PC and see what USB device class & device ID string it identifies itself as.

100% guessing:
It's not likely to be HID or CDC (eg, mouse/keyboard or serial communication device). I'm also guessing not MSC (Mass storage, eg, flash drive), because SYNC would try to get drive & file info to sync metadata and there isn't any. That leaves ADC (Audio Device Class) or Custom Design Class. Unless Ford & Naviks have an agreement to have the SYNC software look for NAVIK's ID string, it's probably spoofing something, a single device capable of streaming, intentionally included in the software by Ford.

Here's another version of what appears to be the same 3.5mm analog to USB adapter
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-6CPChURyL9Y/p_249CSUSB35/Crux-CS-USB3-5-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter.html

Last edited:

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Back when I installed CD changers or (later) DVD systems in cars, we used a hard-wired FM modulator. These wire inline with the FM antenna. They interrupt the signal coming in from the antenna and transmit on a selected frequency. The wired unit is far better than the wireless.
To operate, tune your radio to the frequency chosen (most kits offer 2-3 options), flip the power switch for the transmitter, BOOM - audio over the factory system.

Here is a link to one I found on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-...odulator&qid=1626417545&sprefix=fm+mod&sr=8-4

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Back when I installed CD changers or (later) DVD systems in cars, we used a hard-wired FM modulator. These wire inline with the FM antenna. They interrupt the signal coming in from the antenna and transmit on a selected frequency. The wired unit is far better than the wireless.
To operate, tune your radio to the frequency chosen (most kits offer 2-3 options), flip the power switch for the transmitter, BOOM - audio over the factory system.

Here is a link to one I found on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radio-Shack-...odulator&qid=1626417545&sprefix=fm+mod&sr=8-4
Thanks, found the fm modulator for the plug and play devices. No adapters needed just plug and play.

Screenshot_20210716-084452_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Ok. Update. Jul 20, 2021

None of the devices worked.
Not recognized by usb sync.
The novik harness or the fm modulator. Going with fm modulator next.

20210720_132442.jpg

20210720_132438.jpg

20210720_132431.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'd love to plug one of those Naviks into a PC and see what USB device class & device ID string it identifies itself as.

100% guessing:
It's not likely to be HID or CDC (eg, mouse/keyboard or serial communication device). I'm also guessing not MSC (Mass storage, eg, flash drive), because SYNC would try to get drive & file info to sync metadata and there isn't any. That leaves ADC (Audio Device Class) or Custom Design Class. Unless Ford & Naviks have an agreement to have the SYNC software look for NAVIK's ID string, it's probably spoofing something, a single device capable of streaming, intentionally included in the software by Ford.

Here's another version of what appears to be the same 3.5mm analog to USB adapter
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-6CPChURyL9Y/p_249CSUSB35/Crux-CS-USB3-5-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter.html
My guess would be it emulates the Android or Apple audio signal that something like CarPlay uses.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Ok. Update. Jul 20, 2021

None of the devices worked.
Not recognized by usb sync.
The novik harness or the fm modulator. Going with fm modulator next.

20210720_132442.jpg

20210720_132438.jpg

20210720_132431.jpg
The first one should work if you have it setup as a Bluetooth transmitter. USB should only be used for power, not for passing the music over. That's what the Bluetooth part is for.

Basically, you power the transmitter using a USB port. You pair the transmitter to SYNC like a phone. And you feed the transmitter using the AUX cable. To listen to the music you would set SYNC to the Bluetooth audio source (not AUX)

The second one won't work as it does everything in the opposite direction (for vehicles with AUX but without Bluetooth).

Not sure what the third one is. Got a link to that one?

OP
OP
Cabose-1

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
The first one should work if you have it setup as a Bluetooth transmitter. USB should only be used for power, not for passing the music over. That's what the Bluetooth part is for.

Basically, you power the transmitter using a USB port. You pair the transmitter to SYNC like a phone. And you feed the transmitter using the AUX cable. To listen to the music you would set SYNC to the Bluetooth audio source (not AUX)

The second one won't work as it does everything in the opposite direction (for vehicles with AUX but without Bluetooth).

Not sure what the third one is. Got a link to that one?
This is the third one. The first 2 devices did not work. They attempted to connect, and connected, but i was then told by sync that it had no features that would work with sync.
Hence, no connection. So it recognized the bluetooth device, then rejected the devices. The aux cord to usb was nothing more than a conversion cable. Again, sync did not recognize it. So......Amazon music it is. Or iheart radio. Or deal with the fm transmitter on the siriusxm radio sounding like a far away radio station.
The fm modulator is my last ditch effort.

Screenshot_20210720-174526_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Sponsored