Plug and Play Amp Causes Chimes to No Go Through Speakers?

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have been reading that if you add a plug and play amp the chimes no longer go through the speaker but are only heard through another quieter source. I also read, and can't seem to find it now, that if you have a center speaker that doesn't happen?

Can someone explain why that is to me? Also, I do not have a B&O system but does anyone know if the wiring harness for that center speaker is there or if it can be added?
Sponsored

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have been reading that if you add a plug and play amp the chimes no longer go through the speaker but are only heard through another quieter source. I also read, and can't seem to find it now, that if you have a center speaker that doesn't happen?

Can someone explain why that is to me? Also, I do not have a B&O system but does anyone know if the wiring harness for that center speaker is there or if it can be added?

I think that was me Deeve,

I ordered the harness from plugnplaykits.com. Everything works perfectly except the back and forward parking sensor altert. This used to come through the door speakers, but after installing the harness the alert sounds come through the door buzzer speaker. I was told that this would now come through the center channel, but my vehicle did not come with the center channel speaker or the wireout for the center channel speaker.

OP
OP
deeve

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
ahhh. Thank you. Do you have the collision alert and did that change as well?

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
ahhh. Thank you. Do you have the collision alert and did that change as well?
No sir, that did not change and is loud as ever. It really is not a bad trade off for a harness that keeps all of the factory stuff in tact. It just dings from the dash buzzer speaker instead of the doors.

Paul Moline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCab 4X4
No sir, that did not change and is loud as ever. It really is not a bad trade off for a harness that keeps all of the factory stuff in tact. It just dings from the dash buzzer speaker instead of the doors.
I know I'm late to the party but I just received my harness and kicker key amp from plugnplaykits.com. After reading here about the loss of the parking sensor chimes through the speakers, Joe from plugnplaykits told me I would need to have resistors added to the harness to trick the radio into seeing the speakers resistance at the correct level and not fall back to the little chime speaker. He added the resistors to my harness but I also had to enable the Radio Detect button on the amp and whala, everything works. Joe was a big help.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 STX Ranger
Just added a Kicker Key 180.4 with harness from plugnplaykits.com. Indeed the chimes don't play through the amp. Not a big deal, actually like it better. The key with harness is great for the base radio. I did add JL C1 series components to the front and coaxials on the rear last year. The auto tuning is awesome, sound quality is even better. Very happy I waited and researched a simple install solution for this. Amp fits behind the screen, you just have to play with the harness to get it tucked away properly.

Paul Moline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just added a Kicker Key 180.4 with harness from plugnplaykits.com. Indeed the chimes don't play through the amp. Not a big deal, actually like it better. The key with harness is great for the base radio. I did add JL C1 series components to the front and coaxials on the rear last year. The auto tuning is awesome, sound quality is even better. Very happy I waited and researched a simple install solution for this. Amp fits behind the screen, you just have to play with the harness to get it tucked away properly.
I had the same thing happen to me, Kicker Key 180.4 and the plugnplaykits.com harness. I ended up pushing the radio detect button on the Key amp and the chimes went back on through the speakers.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 STX Ranger
I had the same thing happen to me, Kicker Key 180.4 and the plugnplaykits.com harness. I ended up pushing the radio detect button on the Key amp and the chimes went back on through the speakers.
I tried both settings, does your harness have the resistors in it as described in earlier comment? I suppose I could rip all the panel out again and fine tune some settings and try again.

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 STX Ranger
okay real cool, I didn’t get that on mine. Thank you for the reply. Just gonna keep it the way it is. How do you feel about the compression setting on the key? i found the gain adjustments from zero after the auto setup process to be really sensitive. I ended up pulling the gains back even more so that just above 3/4 volume was the max. Seems to be a good range while not letting the compressor kick in too soon. I used the pink noise initially, but something like Ghost from a flac file on the usb stick was clipping way too early. i feel that the sweet spot for the stock Output is around 3/4 volume.

Paul Moline

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
okay real cool, I didn’t get that on mine. Thank you for the reply. Just gonna keep it the way it is. How do you feel about the compression setting on the key? i found the gain adjustments from zero after the auto setup process to be really sensitive. I ended up pulling the gains back even more so that just above 3/4 volume was the max. Seems to be a good range while not letting the compressor kick in too soon. I used the pink noise initially, but something like Ghost from a flac file on the usb stick was clipping way too early. i feel that the sweet spot for the stock Output is around 3/4 volume.
I agree, I barely touched the gain adjustments for big swings. I found the high spot on volume to be around 19-20 on the sync dial. I did the Kicker microphone self adjustment too and have been pretty happy with it. I added the amp about a week after I changed out the speakers and although the speakers alone were a big difference, the amp was another world. I strapped my amp up behind here so it is easy for me to get to to make adjustments if I need to .

1603447960791.png

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 STX Ranger
Right on! I will probably follow you lead and attempt to mount it there as well. Thanks for the input!

DriverA

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Behind the dash, above the glovebox, there is a steel bar that already has 2 holes .. perfect to run a few screws into the wood base to which my amp is mounted. You do need to disconnect the glove box assist damper cable. It was a struggle to reconnect.

amp 2.jpg
Sponsored