OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, i have had sirius radio since the early 2000s. Since the plug and play sirius devices. When the NASCAR channel was not a channel and only a show from 2 to 6 central time.

So how does a radio show about NASCAR races go exactly?

Well Bob hes making a left turn....

....and another left turn...

...and another left turn....

...well he passed car #87 on that left turn...

...you're not going to believe this Bob, driver #7 is a mad man, he just made a left turn!
Sponsored

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I'd love to plug one of those Naviks into a PC and see what USB device class & device ID string it identifies itself as.

100% guessing:
It's not likely to be HID or CDC (eg, mouse/keyboard or serial communication device). I'm also guessing not MSC (Mass storage, eg, flash drive), because SYNC would try to get drive & file info to sync metadata and there isn't any. That leaves ADC (Audio Device Class) or Custom Design Class. Unless Ford & Naviks have an agreement to have the SYNC software look for NAVIK's ID string, it's probably spoofing something, a single device capable of streaming, intentionally included in the software by Ford.

Here's another version of what appears to be the same 3.5mm analog to USB adapter
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-6CPChURyL9Y/p_249CSUSB35/Crux-CS-USB3-5-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter.html
So, I think I know how the Naviks work, but I've only tested pieces of the explanation. Take something like a Raspberry Pi Zero W that has "gadget" USB mode. This is where it acts as a device, not a host. And one of the "devices" it can be in gadget mode is...a mass storage device (either as "mass storage" or "composite").

That's half of it. The other half is to use a cheap USB DAC to take the analog from a 3.5mm jack and send it to applicable serial pins because the regular USB is already in use & in the wrong mode. From there just (mumble, mumble, pipes, mumble) from the serial pins to the simulated mass storage device that's read by Sync 3 as a flash drive.

See? Simple!