New squeaking sound

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
I recently leveled my truck with a spacer kit (2.5") All was good, got re-torqued after 300 miles. Couple weeks later I added new tires and rims. (Nitto ridge grappler 265/70/17 on icon compression wheels) Theres no rubbing or anything, but when the truck is cold, I get a weird squeaking sound while in motion only, then it suddenly dissapears, and won't come back until the truck is parked for multiple hours again.
Edit: this didn't happen the first time until after the new tires
Sponsored

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I recently leveled my truck with a spacer kit (2.5") All was good, got re-torqued after 300 miles. Couple weeks later I added new tires and rims. (Nitto ridge grappler 265/70/17 on icon compression wheels) Theres no rubbing or anything, but when the truck is cold, I get a weird squeaking sound while in motion only, then it suddenly dissapears, and won't come back until the truck is parked for multiple hours again.
sounds like a bushing...

OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More like loose belt or other rotating item after hearing it.
It goes away after just a few minutes too. Doesn't make a difference if I warm it up or not. Won't happen if the trucks not moving

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Sounds like a pulley/belt. Have you looked under the hood for anything obvious? I’d take to the dealer and let them keep it overnight and do a cold start on it and see if they can replicate it.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like a pulley/belt. Have you looked under the hood for anything obvious? I’d take to the dealer and let them keep it overnight and do a cold start on it and see if they can replicate it.
Im gonna pop the hood and check in a bit.
I didn't really think about it being a belt because it won't do it unless I'm driving down the road. And if, while it's happening I stop the truck, it goes away. The noise will come back, until it eventually stops on its own, like in the video

Kfd1640

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4
Occupation
LEO
A manifold leak can cause a similar sound when cold. Mostly not noticeable until you are on the throttle.

OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A manifold leak can cause a similar sound when cold. Mostly not noticeable until you are on the throttle.
The operating temperature of the motor doesn't seem to change anything. By warmed up I mean everything's got moving. It doesn't seem to change being on or off the throttle

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
sounds like a bushing...
I had an old '96 jeep cherokee that I'd hose down all the suspension, steering & body bushings with white lithium grease in a spray can when it was on the lift for an oil change. made a big difference, give it a try...

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Edit: this didn't happen the first time until after the new tires
When I first heard it I thought "belt" but you said it happened after tires and I changed my mind to a brake pad indicator. Maybe that got pushed when the wheels were put back on.

OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if the sound increases with speed, doesnt do it when it's stopped, check the sheet metal backing plate for rubbing on your brake disk.
I'll go ahead and do that when I get home today. I'll inspect the back of the rotor as well.

OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if the sound increases with speed, doesnt do it when it's stopped, check the sheet metal backing plate for rubbing on your brake disk.
I'm going to go look again in a few minutes. But I really can't see anything that looks funny.

OP
OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it doesnt take much rubbing.
i only suggested it because you heard it after the tire change. it doesnt take much to bend the shield
I can't see it rubbing anywhere, though it was tough to get in there. I still pushed it back a little. Everything looks fine. The noise always goes away on its own a mile or 2 down the road, and only comes up after the trucks sat for a few hours.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't see it rubbing anywhere, though it was tough to get in there. I still pushed it back a little. Everything looks fine. The noise always goes away on its own a mile or 2 down the road, and only comes up after the trucks sat for a few hours.
Hi Justin,

A brake shield will sound like a scraping, not a squeak but it is worth checking. Unlikely in my opinion to be your concern but what it is I can not help.... I do not normally recommend stuff but if your parts stores, Murray's, Autozone etc had belt dressing for the drive belts, you might try to see if the dressing addresses the squeak. Normally drive belts will squeal, not squeak. Suspension components are more prone to squeaking, but squeaking suspension is usually easy to duplicate in a static condition by bouncing the truck by hand. Very puzzling condition....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored