OP
Hardy12000

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
Hi Justin,

A brake shield will sound like a scraping, not a squeak but it is worth checking. Unlikely in my opinion to be your concern but what it is I can not help.... I do not normally recommend stuff but if your parts stores, Murray's, Autozone etc had belt dressing for the drive belts, you might try to see if the dressing addresses the squeak. Normally drive belts will squeal, not squeak. Suspension components are more prone to squeaking, but squeaking suspension is usually easy to duplicate in a static condition by bouncing the truck by hand. Very puzzling condition....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah, puzzling indeed.
I checked the back cover as best I could and I really don't see anything wrong. I may just have to call Belle Tire and have them check their work. Like I said, this only started happening after the tire/rim. I really don't think it's a belt, but ill give that a shot. It seems to be directly related to the truck moving, but with that being said there's no reason why it would always stop about a mile or 2 in and never come back until a period of rest. Stopping the truck will make the noise go away, but if it'll just come back until it decides to go away on its own. Truck is 100% regular over bumps, cornering, full-lock, 4x4h and reverse.

I'm running out of ideas.
Sponsored

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 Cyber Orange
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you ever figure this out? My brand new truck, less than 3,000 miles and bone-stock, just started doing this. It starts as a kind of chirping squeak that sounds mechanical, maybe a suspension component. And then turns into a squealing that sounds like a belt. Just like the sound-clip that you posted. It seems to come and go at random, but never on startup. Only after I've been driving a while.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever figure this out? My brand new truck, less than 3,000 miles and bone-stock, just started doing this. It starts as a kind of chirping squeak that sounds mechanical, maybe a suspension component. And then turns into a squealing that sounds like a belt. Just like the sound-clip that you posted. It seems to come and go at random, but never on startup. Only after I've been driving a while.
HI Steve,

These random come and go squeaks are very frustrating to hear and to find. One thing is to keep a mechanics stethoscope (cheap at the auto parts store) with just the ear pieces and the plastic tube handy...This simple tool is very directional and may provide a way to home in on the noise. Better to have the passenger do the listening if possible. My wife, the doubting Thomas, discovered it homed on a annoying wind whistle which was found to be a misinstalled section of the front door seal.

It has been identified that the boost control rod rattles but some folks called it a squeak if it appears engine compartment related.

You could try the dealer if it is reproducible when hot...

Good luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

kendoe23

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
HVAC
I recently leveled my truck with a spacer kit (2.5") All was good, got re-torqued after 300 miles. Couple weeks later I added new tires and rims. (Nitto ridge grappler 265/70/17 on icon compression wheels) Theres no rubbing or anything, but when the truck is cold, I get a weird squeaking sound while in motion only, then it suddenly dissapears, and won't come back until the truck is parked for multiple hours again.
Edit: this didn't happen the first time until after the new tires
I recently leveled my truck with a spacer kit (2.5") All was good, got re-torqued after 300 miles. Couple weeks later I added new tires and rims. (Nitto ridge grappler 265/70/17 on icon compression wheels) Theres no rubbing or anything, but when the truck is cold, I get a weird squeaking sound while in motion only, then it suddenly dissapears, and won't come back until the truck is parked for multiple hours again.
Edit: this didn't happen the first time until after the new tires
the exact same thing is happening to my 2020 ranger, did you ever figure out what the issue was? im experiencing the Same noise, same outcome and same exact timeline fir when I had everything installed would greatly appreciate the insight if you have figured out what it is.

thank you

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
My 2021 Ranger with 5k miles started doing this randomly a month ago. It's done it like 4 times now. Like a squealing belt in the back of the truck. Would a bad Center bearing cause this? It will get louder the faster I drive. But luckily it only does it for a few seconds.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
My 2020 does this when it's cold and been sitting all night. I can't figure it out brake pads are good belt looks fine, I am out of ideas

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
My 2020 does this when it's cold and been sitting all night. I can't figure it out brake pads are good belt looks fine, I am out of ideas
On mine, It's not brake pads or engine belt. It's coming from the rear end.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
On mine, It's not brake pads or engine belt. It's coming from the rear end.
Yeah I've narrowed it down to the back of the truck, it only does it for a little and than stops. It's hard to pinpoint, a coworker said to check the carrier bearing, when I get some tome off I'll crawl under and look. I'm at a loss It's annoying as hell and only does it when cold.

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Yeah I've narrowed it down to the back of the truck, it only does it for a little and than stops. It's hard to pinpoint, a coworker said to check the carrier bearing, when I get some tome off I'll crawl under and look. I'm at a loss It's annoying as hell and only does it when cold.
Yeah I'm thinking center bearing too... Geez mine is just at 5k. How long has yours been doing it?

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Yeah I'm thinking center bearing too... Geez mine is just at 5k. How long has yours been doing it?
It recently started when the temperature dropped. I'm at 20k only thing I have done to the truck is borla exhaust and fox shocks on the back. So it's basically stock

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
It's weird the sound doesn't change with vehicle speed or rpm just starts than randomly goes away. There is a service bulletin for the transmission that the dealer say the sound could be related to. I don't think that's it tho

Travis9935

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
It's weird the sound doesn't change with vehicle speed or rpm just starts than randomly goes away. There is a service bulletin for the transmission that the dealer say the sound could be related to. I don't think that's it tho
So you haven't brought it in yet? Do you plan too?

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
So you haven't brought it in yet? Do you plan too?
No my dealer is useless, only thing that will come of it is time wasted and can't duplicate the sounds functioning as intended.