Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Saber XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I love my new ranger, but I just noticed an odd squeal when I take my foot off the gas and am coasting down the road. Doesn’t matter if I’m hitting the gas hard or not. I can’t tell if it’s from the transmission, or is it the diverted valve doing it’s thing?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I love my new ranger, but I just noticed an odd squeal when I take my foot off the gas and am coasting down the road. Doesn’t matter if I’m hitting the gas hard or not. I can’t tell if it’s from the transmission, or is it the diverted valve doing it’s thing?
Hi Jared,

Would indicate the Blow Off Valve might be the culprit. If it is repetitive as you indicate, then take it to the dealer for diagnosis. If intermittent, much more difficult to determine the source of the noise unless the dealer is familiar with other complaints of the same sound. Most squeals are associated with brakes, but not all..... hope you can find root cause. I have no idea as my Ranger is quiet as a church mouse.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
ClamCakes

ClamCakes

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil, it seems to occur when I let off the gas and the truck shifts to the best higher gear when not under load. It’s pretty subtle, which is why I suspected it was the BOV maybe venting excess pressure. I’ll keep an eye on it.

just got home from driving around. Seems to happen when it shifts between 2000 RPM and 1500 RPM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClamCakes

ClamCakes

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Also found today that If I hold the RPMs around 1600-1700 the squealing will continue until it shifts. Talked to my dealer and he said to bring it on in.

Tuesday appointment!

hsmith21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Silver FX4 302a
Also found today that If I hold the RPMs around 1600-1700 the squealing will continue until it shifts. Talked to my dealer and he said to bring it on in.

Tuesday appointment!
Having a similar problem in my Ranger with a squealing noise when I let off the gas and coast. Have you found a fix for it yet?

OP
OP
ClamCakes

ClamCakes

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Having a similar problem in my Ranger with a squealing noise when I let off the gas and coast. Have you found a fix for it yet?
No I haven’t. Took it to the dealer and they think it’s normal. One guy tried to pass it off as the turbo ?. They told me just to watch it and bring it back up when I come in for my first service.
Sponsored