New Ranger Lugging between 1200 and 1500 RPMs - Is this normal?

The Tremor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks, I have a two week old Ranger Tremor with about 700 miles on it. When cruising I notice vibration from the motor "lugging," meaning that it feels like it needs to downshift. This is common under 60 MPH. It's fine on flat roads, but a slight incline and I have to force a downshift, which usually does not last long enough, and it goes back to highest gear. I'm sure this is to improve fuel economy but worry that this is not so great for the motor. Does anybody else have this? Should I just ignore it and let it be at the RPMs it wants? Maybe the motor was designed for this? I'm just used to a 5.0 F150 that has massive low RPM torque. Thanks!
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
It is discussed many times in this forum.
That being said......
Yes it is normal. The 10 spd and the regular drive mode is made for CAFE standards.
This is what many do here, to not have lugging

Drive in tow haul mode
Drive in sport mode
Get a tune

I personaly like driving in tow haul mode.

OP
OP
The Tremor

The Tremor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
the engine about to explode crowd will chime in soon....they're probably also the 1000 mile oil change group and the carbon deposit clan.

basically Ford designed it that way, Ford offers you a warranty, and they tested the shit out of it, while none of these guys have. I drive mine and dont worry about it.

others get tunes, drive in S mode. and other crazy ass things to avoid this "lugging"
Thanks, I read about getting a tune and have tried driving in S mode but that doesn't seem practical. Turning up the radio may be the best solution.

OP
OP
The Tremor

The Tremor

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
It is discussed many times in this forum.
That being said......
Yes it is normal. The 10 spd and the regular drive mode is made for CAFE standards.
This is what many do here, to not have lugging

Drive in tow haul mode
Drive in sport mode
Get a tune

I personaly like driving in tow haul mode.
Ok I'll give tow haul a try, have not tired that yet. Thanks

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Hi Folks, I have a two week old Ranger Tremor with about 700 miles on it. When cruising I notice vibration from the motor "lugging," meaning that it feels like it needs to downshift. This is common under 60 MPH. It's fine on flat roads, but a slight incline and I have to force a downshift, which usually does not last long enough, and it goes back to highest gear. I'm sure this is to improve fuel economy but worry that this is not so great for the motor. Does anybody else have this? Should I just ignore it and let it be at the RPMs it wants? Maybe the motor was designed for this? I'm just used to a 5.0 F150 that has massive low RPM torque. Thanks!
Usually after 5k miles it acts better. If it doesn't you can reset the transmission learning.

I tuned mine but I also went back to stock for a short while and after a few days it was smooth.

I find that doing a mixture of high speed highway driving and low speed city driving it gets through the learning process faster.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yeah pretty normal. I drive in sport now which is much better will also get a tune at some point. Pretty much just gotta get used to some of the little quirks like that and not overthink it or worry. Warranty peace of mind helps me with that for now anyways.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
My unscientific trial of using tow/haul yielded poorer mpg.
Many people, myself included saw a slight improvement in mpg while in tow/haul. It's possible that you may have been driving what could be considered as more aggressively while in that mode. Switching to tow/haul and S modes alters the throttle, fuel and shift tables requiring less actual pedal travel to yield the same response from the engine. While the pedal/throttle plate position are not 1:1 due to drive by wire, the throttle plate is opening up more and faster while in those modes. This can result in increased fuel consumption if for example giving it the same amount of gas (pedal position/speed) in those modes as under normal mode.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Yep, between 30-35 miles per hour mine sux also. I just use the button on the side of the shifter, and knock out the gears 8-9-10 while I'm driving around town. That takes care of the problem.

Ford has programmed the tranny to eek out as much gas mileage as possible. But, in the process they went to far causing this aggravating situation.

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog

My truck does the same. It wants to get to 10th gear and stay there. I limit my gears when I drive in town now 45mph 8th. 35 mph 7th. 25 mph 6th or 5th gear. I started doing this a couple weeks ago and my mpg actually went up and the truck seems more happy. Haha

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks, I read about getting a tune and have tried driving in S mode but that doesn't seem practical. Turning up the radio may be the best solution.
Try tow mode in town. It's better than D, not as aggressive as S, and it actually returns better MPG than drive for me.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Tow mode , unless you have hills like I do ...OR, in my recent attempt to let the transmission adapt as advertised ( I was stubborn to the point of being ba.... Nevermind , I have been VERY vocal about the lug) I just refused to let it , I can feel when its about to (same commute , every day) and I either apply a little more or back off compleatly , its been about a week of this and between me and her figuring out how we like it (a little rough , we both like it a little rough) lug is almost gone , it does seem like the those shift points have changed for the better ! Happy dance ! , I can t speak for others ,but when I type "happy dance" I actually physically do a few seconds of it on my end...