First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Sound like air in the system. There have been a few new Rangers with this issue. The dealer should bleed the system for free under warranty.
Agreed. The key clue is the improvement in braking response on the second pedal pump, a properly bled system won't do that.
Sponsored

tfisher15

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. The key clue is the improvement in braking response on the second pedal pump, a properly bled system won't do that.
I have the same spongy brake pedal. The dealer said that’s normal. I had an independent repair shop bleed the brakes - no change.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I have the same spongy brake pedal. The dealer said that’s normal. I had an independent repair shop bleed the brakes - no change.
That's strange. My brakes aren't spongy at all. With the pedal half way down my wheels start to lock up.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I did the pedal adjustment, what a difference, now I forget about the brakes vs thinking about them every application.
The booster is what controls the pedal travel, so as long as you don't over adjust it and bottom out the switch, you can safely raise the pedal height.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The brakes are the one thing I don’t like about this truck. Feel is terrible and it’s hard to stop smoothly. Also the transmission hits you in the back with a ball bat as it downshifts when I stop. I’ve learned it’s not quite as bad if I drive in Sport mode.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The dealer is absolutely full of crap. Go test drive any other car/truck on the lot and aside from the Rangers you will be shocked at how good/consistent the brake pedal feels. The difference in pedal feel and consistent braking performance will shows that Ford obviously has issues with the brakes on the Ranger.

It's possible that there may be air trapped in the ABS module. Typical brake bleeding and even pressure bleeding won't necessarily be all that successful at getting it out and into the lines to be bled out from the calipers. The best method is to do a proper ABS module bleed where the ABS pump and valves are actuated then any air in the system will be forced out into the lines and be removed. A lot of independent shops will just use a pressure bleed system and not actually perform the ABS bleed procedure.

It's not the best video but it does show the ABS bleed process in Forscan and you can hear the ABS pump kick on while they are bleeding the brakes.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
^^This is good info.
Brake feel can be very subjective but something still doesn't sound right. We have several sports cars and the Ranger brakes do not suffer in comparison. Firm pedal with solid bite and linear performance.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I installed my big brake kit and the pedal feels as it should. Not spongy but not sensitive.

Reddog

First Name
cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger tremor
Occupation
transportation
Hello, new '21 Lariat has a pretty spongy pedal feel on first press, but stiffens up if I ease up and reapply the brake. I'm used to firmer response on my other cars. Is this normal, a known issue, or should I have this looked at? Thank you.
I have 2023 tremor spongy brake dealer said it was normal . it is not , used FORScan did a antilock brake module bleed and fixed the problem no more spongy break. Evidently there is ear trapped in the antilock brake module.

Reddog

First Name
cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger tremor
Occupation
transportation
It is normal for a Ranger. Not normal compared to other vehicles. ;). They do work well though.
It is not normal , do a antilock brake module bleed procedure this will remove air in the brake module, causing the problem

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
After ABS bleed follow it up with full regular bleed, you will get a ton of air from right rear,
I also tried to get dealer to fix, 2 dealerships actually was told the same. I call BS and fixed it myself. I am a former ASE cert in brakes, although it’s been quite some time ago- the brake pedal should -NOT drop so low that you are touching the gas pedal with it.
VERY Dangerous.
My brake pedal is solid now and normal after 1 year of ownership.
Bleed performed at 300 miles on the OD and just hit 8,000

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, there is a huge thread on this topic from a couple of years ago. The issue I had when I got my truck in 21 was the pedal was low and with constant pressure on the pedal at a stop the pedal would sink to the floor. A quick pump of the pedal once stopped would take care of it.

I did the ABS bleed procedure with ForeScan and it made a huge improvement but over time the sinking pedal returned. I bled the brakes and that fixed the issue for good. It has been close to 20k miles and the brakes just plain work without thinking about them.

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It is not normal , do a antilock brake module bleed procedure this will remove air in the brake module, causing the problem
I did and the symptoms returned shortly after. Daily it had its own mind, some days they felt normal, other days, well, like a Ranger. I’ve since moved on from the Ranger, I couldn’t deny the new Canyon.
Sponsored