Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Super cab
Occupation
Retired Postal Worker
Good evening!

This past Saturday I traded in my 2019 Civic Si for my new to me 2019 Ranger Lariat. It was a great trade considering the previous owner optioned the 501A Equipment Group & Tech Package for me. :like: It does fit in our garage with about 6 inches on either side to spare it seems..?

I needed something bigger now that our 9mo old is in daycare, and I am regularly dropping him off. Plus, you just can not beat the utility of a truck.

Hope to learn a lot from this forum as I have with CivicX.

I am a semi-pro detailer, so sometime in the future I will make some detailing threads as I learn to keep my truck showroom quality.:party:

6D003A05-30BB-4CE5-B67D-9A6D0CE6B42A.jpeg

89A361A9-977B-4BA1-A361-F9770F6BD326.jpeg
Welcome
Sponsored

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
Funny! I also traded in my Civic Si for the Ranger. It was a red 2020 4dr. I'm very familiar with CivicX. Loved the car but being a new homeowner and having a little one on the way my wife and I wanted something with a bit more utility.

Curious, were there any other vehicles you closely considered before deciding on the Ranger?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Funny! I also traded in my Civic Si for the Ranger. It was a red 2020 4dr. I'm very familiar with CivicX. Loved the car but being a new homeowner and having a little one on the way my wife and I wanted something with a bit more utility.

Curious, where their any other vehicles you closely considered before deciding on the Ranger?
My screen name is the exact same on there too. I am right there with you, best car I have ever owned. I would have kept it in a heartbeat if funds allowed.

Similar family situation too; my wife can not drive manual, and I have bonked Ethan’s head on the headliner a few times getting him in the car seat..d’oh. ??‍♂

It was somewhat a spur of the moment thing; I was originally going to order a Maverick and then I noticed in certain lighting that interior is BLUE.? Why would Ford not just make a normal colored interior..The way I had built it, I was going to spend ~30K anyways, so why not just get something I like.

Last week I was between a 2017 Colorado and a 2021 Ranger XLT but then I found this particular truck with 25K miles for 33K (6K off MSRP). The rest is history. ?? I was pretty picky too; my biggest gripe of the Si was the cloth and how dirty it could get, drove my OCD crazy. I am more of an interior guy, so when this truck was sporting leather and the B&O system, it was worth the 100 mile drive. I could not even find a used XLT for this price in my area.

Last edited:

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
My screen name is the exact same on there too. I am right there with you, best car I have ever owned. I would have kept it in a heartbeat if funds allowed.

Similar family situation too; my wife can not drive manual, and I have bonked Ethan’s head on the headliner a few times getting him in the car seat..d’oh. ??‍♂

It was somewhat a spur of the moment thing; I was originally going to order a Maverick and then I noticed in certain lighting that interior is BLUE.? Why would Ford not just make a normal colored interior..The way I had built it, I was going to spend ~30K anyways, so why not just get something I like.

Last week I was between a 2017 Colorado and a 2021 Ranger XLT but then I found this particular truck with 25K miles for 33K (6K off MSRP). The rest is history. ??
I was thinking about waiting on a Maverick too but I was worried that the rear seat would not be large enough to contend with a rear facing car seat after looking at a Bronco Sport. I know they're not the same but I think they're similar in size and its rear seat was tiny. Might've made a good call on that one!

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I was thinking about waiting on a Maverick too but I was worried that the rear seat would not be large enough to contend with a rear facing car seat after looking at a Bronco Sport. I know they're not the same but I think they're similar in size and its rear seat was tiny. Might've made a good call on that one!
Ranger is a perfect size in my opinion. No trouble getting little man in and out, and it still fits in the garage for safekeeping. Barely.

We use the Chicco Fit 4 system(which is pretty big in my opinion), and to my wife’s point when I traded the Si in; “he’s only going to get bigger.”

96AB556B-6264-482D-B4B4-BBAF89B929D8.jpeg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hi Cody. Can't wait for your detailing threads!! And another shadow black user, I recently got into detailing but I am really really beginner so your expertise will be very helpful in the coming future. Welcome here, it's a great place to be. Glad you didn't choose the Colorado because then we wouldn't have ya! :devil: Hah, jokes aside I owned a 2018 Colorado before this and the Ranger far exceeds everything the Colorado had to offer me. Especially when you realize the front windshield of the Colorado is about 20-30% less visibility in the way they designed it. The Ranger windshield really opens up and doesn't make you feel boxed in. Don't even get me started on the CEL on speed limiter that will cause a MAF sensor to be replaced at $250. Every single time you hit speed limiter for a brand new truck. Although, I will say it's quite the efficient speed limiter now that I think about it :stop:

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Hi Cody. Can't wait for your detailing threads!! And another shadow black user, I recently got into detailing but I am really really beginner so your expertise will be very helpful in the coming future. Welcome here, it's a great place to be. Glad you didn't choose the Colorado because then we wouldn't have ya! :devil: Hah, jokes aside I owned a 2018 Colorado before this and the Ranger far exceeds everything the Colorado had to offer me. Especially when you realize the front windshield of the Colorado is about 20-30% less visibility in the way they designed it. The Ranger windshield really opens up and doesn't make you feel boxed in. Don't even get me started on the CEL on speed limiter that will cause a MAF sensor to be replaced at $250. Every single time you hit speed limiter for a brand new truck. Although, I will say it's quite the efficient speed limiter now that I think about it :stop:
I am shook by the amount of responses I have received, first impression of this community is awesome!

If you read my post earlier about not ever owning a black vehicle, I have my work cut out for me..? I will eventually get around to a paint correction, at-least the panels are relatively flat.

I will probably have to use double the soap that I used on the little Civic too..? I can already hear it from my wife…It used to take about an hour for a maintenance detail on my Civic, now I will probably be anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours.

That was one of the first things I noticed on the test drive, just how visible everything is, and the mirrors are pretty good too! I noticed the “Ranger” Easter egg on the bottom of the windshield too, nice touch.

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I am shook by the amount of responses I have received, first impression of this community is awesome!

If you read my post earlier about not ever owning a black vehicle, I have my work cut out for me..? I will eventually get around to a paint correction, at-least the panels are relatively flat.

I will probably have to use double the soap that I used on the little Civic too..? I can already hear it from my wife…It used to take about an hour for a maintenance detail on my Civic, now I will probably be anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours.

That was one of the first things I noticed on the test drive, just how visible everything is, and the mirrors are pretty good too! I noticed the “Ranger” Easter egg on the bottom of the windshield too, nice touch.
So I've never owned a truck before this one. One thing that caught me off guard on my first wash was being unable to reach the entire roof of the truck. Still haven't gotten around to figuring that out. For now I just don't wash the roof (not like anyone looks up there anyways, right? :LOL:).

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So I've never owned a truck before this one. One thing that caught me off guard on my first wash was being unable to reach the entire roof of the truck. Still haven't gotten around to figuring that out. For now I just don't wash the roof (not like anyone looks up there anyways, right? :LOL:).
A little more of my history, this is my 2nd truck. My first truck was in high school(2011) and it was a 1994 Chevrolet K1500 single cab. (That’s why I was looking at the Colorado first since I had owned a GM vehicle).

It is actually a pretty simple solution in my mind, I start all of my washes with the foam cannon on my pressure washer to get in all the nooks and crannies, and I get in the truck bed to wash the roof. I have not tried this yet on this truck, but maybe I will be able to reach most of the way.

I will probably end up buying one of those Gorilla Ladder things that are like a platform you can stand on.

*Edit I just went to the garage to try it out and yeah it does look like towards the front, there will always be a spot missed. Like you said, who looks there anyways..?

On a positive note..maybe now I can convince my wife to get me a DI water rinse system for the final rinse now that we both have black vehicles..?

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
A little more of my history, this is my 2nd truck. My first truck was in high school(2011) and it was a 1994 Chevrolet K1500 single cab. (That’s why I was looking at the Colorado first since I had owned a GM vehicle).

It is actually a pretty simple solution in my mind, I start all of my washes with the foam cannon on my pressure washer to get in all the nooks and crannies, and I get in the truck bed to wash the roof. I have not tried this yet on this truck, but maybe I will be able to reach most of the way.

I will probably end up buying one of those Gorilla Ladder things that are like a platform you can stand on.

*Edit I just went to the garage to try it out and yeah it does look like towards the front, there will always be a spot missed. Like you said, who looks there anyways..?

On a positive note..maybe now I can convince my wife to get me a DI water rinse system for the final rinse now that we both have black vehicles..?

I'm only 5'7" and I just use a 4' step ladder when washing and drying. There's no way these short arms can reach the middle of the roof or hood. ?

The foam cannons work great as you can soap the whole vehicle and let it draw all the dirt down Rinse and repeat with a 2 bucket method. We have really hard water here and I have a water softener in my garage so I added a spigot to that for nice clean washes and rinses. Two black vehicles is two to many for me to take care of. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm only 5'7" and I just use a 4' step ladder when washing and drying. There's no way these short arms can reach the middle of the roof or hood. ?

The foam cannons work great as you can stop the whole vehicle and let it draw all the dirt down Rinse and repeat with a 2 bucket method. We have really hard water here and I have a water softener in my garage so I added a spigot to that for nice clean washes and rinses. Two black vehicles is two to many for me to take care of. ?
It is going to be a nightmare for sure..?

I do slowly have to remind myself, it’s a truck, it is meant to get a ding every now and then and get dirty. ?

Now I do have a good reasoning for going the DI route, waterspots love black paint..

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Do you have side steps on the truck? I thought I wouldn't be able to reach the roof to wash (5'4" only), but standing (carefully) on the steps, I can wash it all. I had a bit of a tough time with the hood at the area center towards windshield. I just flopped the wash mitt around though and think I got most of it there.
I had bought a wash kit on Amazon that had an extension arm with wash mitt on the end, but ended up not using it for the roof... will try it at next wash on the hood.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Do you have side steps on the truck? I thought I wouldn't be able to reach the roof to wash (5'4" only), but standing (carefully) on the steps, I can wash it all. I had a bit of a tough time with the hood at the area center towards windshield. I just flopped the wash mitt around though and think I got most of it there.
I had bought a wash kit on Amazon that had an extension arm with wash mitt on the end, but ended up not using it for the roof... will try it at next wash on the hood.
I also do the flop the wash mitt around on the front middle and top middle of windshield sometimes. Mostly for the drying part since the washing part has an extension but you gave me a good chuckle. I vividly saw it in my brain when you mentioned "flopping" the mitt around haha. :crackup:
Sponsored